Author Topic: Weapon of choice  (Read 46259 times)

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Weapon of choice
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2009, 12:50:52 PM »
Ditto on what most everybody else has already said.

They guys were jerks. Don't let their lack of brains and empathy deter you.

And do keep on shooting.

Just two things to mention:

Do start back with 410s and light loads, and work your way up. When you get back to shooting full-loaded 12 ga, if the recoil is still a problem, there is a cure. (This is something you would do mostly for a home defense weapon, BTW.)

It's really simple: just make the gun weigh more. If a cannon weighed the same as the cannonball it shot, both would depart in opposite directions at the same speed on firing. That's why old-fashioned cannons weighed 300 times as much as the ball they fired. That made them go backwards 300 times slower--and turned the recoil into a manageable push.

There are stock weights that can be put on guns. One extra pound (or even less) might do wonders for you, and wouldn't interfere with defensive use. I've heard of people duct-taping 2 sections from a wrist weight on opposite sides of the balance point of their gun (to save the cost of a gunsmith) but I wouldn't recommend that because the tape would be hard on the finish of the gun.

Also, for pistol training almost everyone advocates the modified Weaver stance, or at least  some two-handed grip. And they talk about lining up the front sight, etc, etc.

That's all very good as far as it goes. It is MUCH more accurate at longer ranges than a one-handed grip. But most self-defense shooting is done at short range, in a rush, and what if you don't have two good hands to shoot with?

You can learn to be Annie Oakley with either hand in a very short period of time just by mounting a small flashlight (or laser!) on your handgun, and rigging it so that pulling the trigger turns it on. Then you just wander around the house & yard "shooting" things with the light. Just like a kid with a new squirt-gun. Just point & pull, and watch where the light hits.

Sight it in, of course, so the light goes where the sights say it should.

Learn the two-handed grip, too. That's important. But for defensive snap-shooting, you'll be able to nail a head shot at 15 feet ten out of ten in short order, with either hand.

One more on the side: no one should rely on a pistol they can't shoot/control with one hand. Get a heavier pistol, or a smaller load, or both. Even a 100-lb average build female should be quite capable of firing the right .45 cal pistol one handed.

What they usually fail to mention in the write-ups is that a featherweight frame does not play well with a large Magnum-loaded bullet. That's a combo that will put hammer-marks in your forehead, even if you're Godzilla with a grin.

Gosh--I just realized! It would even do that to a....

...guy!

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2010, 11:17:03 AM »
Did you ever make it back out to the range?

I had someone put a 3" slug into a shotgun instead of the shorter ones I'd been firing all morning. Pissed me off, and made my shoulder ache for several hours. I, however, am fairly experienced in shooting and handled it well.

You don't start off a 15 year old in a ferrari or a dump truck for the same reasons you don't take your first shot with a heavy recoil gun. Should have shot a 22 or an old ass heavy .308 or mosin and it wouldn't have totally killed your arm, and you would have learned technique. There's this little 4'11" friend of mine that handles a 12 ga just fine, but she started off with air rifles and .22's when she was young and figured out what recoil did, and her dad taught her how to shoot, vs. turning her pain into a spectacle.

What douches.

Offline Komodo

• Survivor
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »
I inherited two handguns, and I wanted to learn how to use them.  I first asked a friend and his father to show me something about shooting.  Got the same 12GA shotgun/3in. shell introduction, and it was awful, too.  My shoulder hurt for a week. I signed up for an NRA pistol and rifle class.  Learned the right way to do things- how to stand, how to grip, how to aim.  Learned with .22 pistols and bolt action rifles.  Now, I'm a member of a small gun club, own a Ruger 10/22 in addition to my original handguns, and just bought a 20GA semi-auto.  There's so much to be said for finding the right gun to fit your needs as well as your physical frame.  I can't recommend the NRA pistol and rifle classes enough.  I also got directed to a free wingshooting clinic, where a female professional shooter taught four novice women with a 28GA.  It was a full day of fun and it really got me interested in shooting sports (hence the new 20GA).  Even if your first introduction is rough with a 12GA shotgun and the like, find a local class and get some instruction. They are real confidence builders!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2010, 06:08:52 PM »
Do NOT start a new shooter out on a Mosin Nagant. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!

I should film myself at the range smashing apples or something with the recoil some time.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2010, 01:43:20 PM »
Well, if you let 'em know the recoil's goign to be powerful, it's not so bad.

I introduced a female friend to it, and she was shocked and surprised, but because of good positioning, it wasn't horrid, and she tried it again. That was the day my arm went numb, though, when I had the corner of the stock in the wrong spot (brachial nerve... yowza!)

Offline Chris Redfield

• Survivor
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2010, 02:38:05 PM »
There's nothing saying you can't warn somebody that it's going to kick like an angry mule, and help lessen the recoil with some extra padding. :)

Speaking of things you should be doing - not as important in the dead of winter, but here's an important one to note for the ladies. Some of you like to wear shirts that, ahem, are a little low. I'm sure it's really cute on you, and I'm sure you notice all the guys looking.

But what we're thinking is "She'd better cover up, because that is NOT where you want hot brass to land!" :o

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2010, 11:34:50 AM »
Good point, Chris! made me laugh!

amanadoo

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2010, 07:21:44 AM »
I agree whole-heartedly with the advice you've been given already. It is such a shame that those flaming douchebags used your natural aptitude against you, instead of pumping you up and getting you excited about further training.

I think it's a mistake to think in terms of "I could do it if I need to." That could be a very dangerous assumption. If you have trouble with guns when you DON'T have to shoot, think of how much more difficult it could be if you were scared out of your mind.

It sucks that other people have tried to make you feel small. But the impetus is on you now, to use the basic tools you have...intelligence and wit...to prove (to yourself, definitely NOT those dudes) that you are not small. You must be strong, and you must be smart!

Good luck!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2010, 10:36:55 PM »
Here's a tidbit,
I've got a lady friend who had a torn rotator cup and probably couldn't handle anything larger than an intermediate caliber.
luckily its her right shoulder and although she's right handed, she's left eye dominant.
Now if I can just get her to the range...

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2010, 02:21:25 AM »
I'd argue it's worth a try. The rotator cuff shouldn't have much to do with shooting if you're putting the rifle in the right place. It basically holds the top of the arm into the socket formed by the scapula and clavicle. By the way, it's 4AM and it took me five tries to spell clavicle correctly.

Dear jesus I'm going to sleep.

Anyhow, if she's recently post-op, forget it, just due to general post-traumatic soreness and the like, but if she's got it in the pocket where it's supposed to be, shouldn't be a big deal unless she's shooting prone, which might torque things up a bit, but definitely start out with a .22 and work your way up. Maybe some really light target loads in a 20 ga. shotgun, too. Just enough to give it a push and try things out, but not enough to break things or make sutures/clips/staples/nuts/bolts/duct tape come loose.

Offline steveandjulie

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2010, 07:47:36 AM »
Great thread. Please, no pink guns. I'd like to add my 2 cents here: I think that for home defense, potential hunting, and varmint control its good to have a pistol, a rifle and a shotgun.

For a pistol:  I used to have a cold Ruger .22 semi-auto (got stolen) and loved it. Smooth, accurate, has a good grip for a woman's smaller hand. I'll replace it one of these days. Now I have a .357 and it is a fine shooting weapon, well-balanced, and will take .38 special ammo, which is cheaper than .357. The nice thing is that you can leave a revolver loaded (we don't have kids to worry about) and not have to worry if the spring in your clip is being worn. Many women like the 9 mil, but if you have arthritic hands or not much grip strength, it can be hard to cock. When walking in the backwoods of southeast Ohio, I like the security of having a weapon that will stop an aggressive "coy dog", or hostile meth lab creep, and the .357 has that power. Fortunately, I have never had to use it on a person and hope I never have to.

For a rifle: It's hard to beat the .22. I was lucky enough to find an old Mossberg with a flip-down stock (good monopod balance for long shots) and a "youth stock" which is shorter and easier to handle for shorter smaller women and girls. These are worth looking for and not too expensive. I do crave a .223 for more distance and stopping power, like when I see a coyote lurking at the edge of a sheep pasture.

For a shotgun: a 20-guage pump. mmm-mmm. Nothing like that racking sound to discourage a would-be intruder. The Remington 870 is a fine piece if you have some extra cash put away. I don't recommend the 16-guage b/c ammo is getting harder to find for it. 

Simple and cheaper defense of choice: pepper spray against an aggressive dog in the neighborhood. It's not the best idea to kill a neighbor's dog, but the pepper spray is a great discourager against a dog attack and doesn't hurt the dog in the long run. If you commute into the city to work, you may run into some pushy panhandlers at gas stations, grocery stores, etc. I had one try to stick his head in my car window on a hot day, and aimed the can on my keychain at him. This was enough to get him to back off.  Keep a can on your keychain, in your pocket on walks, in your glovebox.

Offline A mazed

• Prepper
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2010, 01:50:36 AM »
I have a snake charmer, and I am planning on learning to shoot this spring/summer I never have I do use a bow and arrow though and love that.
MzLabby

Offline Peacekeeper1029

• Survivor
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2010, 02:03:36 AM »
My wife's favorite shooter is my old (now her's) Beretta 92F which is the largest of the four handguns we own.  She has fired the Glock 19 and 17, has yet to fire the 26 but she just prefers the Beretta over the Glocks.  I love seeing my little 5'2" Italian lass with that big Beretta in her hands.  If I was a bad guy and saw her aiming it at me, I'd run the other way. 

Offline keepitlow

• Banned Scumbag
  • Survivor
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »

Hairspray and DEET spray and natural eucalyptus bug spray are great emergency defense sprays unless you got wasp spray or pressurized brake cleaner handy.

Rara Avis

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
I was in the US Coast Guard Reserves 16 years ago. I had to learn how to operate a firearm/s and qualify. I did with grand fashion, and put many of the men to shame on the firing range. I'm only 5'6" and weigh in at 132 lbs soaking wet. The men were all much much bigger than my self, and I was surprised at how rotten of shots they were. I consistently grouped my 10 round shots in 3 in. clusters...therefore I did receive both rifle and small arms ribbons. The males on the range were crestfallen.

Today, I own my own weapons. I saved my money for years, and then sold a V-12 powered Jaguar sport car ( which is a useless survival vehicle and a gas hog ) to give me the funds I needed to purchase top flight fire power. I own a Jeep Wrangler now. Best vehicle I ever owned. Fun and versatile...not to bad on gas.

I bought a S&W 1911 style stainless semi-auto .45 cal. pistol/ A .223/5.56 cal Rock River Arms AR 15 assault rifle with a high powered scope / then as frosting to my personal arsenal; a .308 cal. DPMS Panther Arms AR 15 assault rifle with a very good high powered zoom scope...

When I purchased these weapons, the men in the gun shop all were stunned watching this little gal buy thousands of dollars worth of firepower for her own use. They commented that they wanted to stay out of my way, and not to make me mad at them! LOL

I also own a AK-47, an SKS rifle that has been converted with an updated assault rifle configuration, a Mosin Nagant mauser, a Springfield 30.6 rifle,  a couple of 22 cal rifles, a couple of shotguns, a couple of old revolvers, and way too much ammo to suit city ordinances...

I have zero faith that our government will do the right by the people in the not so distant future. I am a single female who has decided my fate is in my own hands. I refuse to think or act upon the idea that I need a man to defend me. I was married once..."ONCE!"  I'll go it alone before I have to deal with a dependent slowing me down or causing me a headache.  If and when the time ever comes I want someone to cuddle up to at night, I won't have any problem finding someone...

Prepping is a never ending process. I read every thing I can find on it, and have join multiple web sites. I used to talk to sporting goods store owners about it, but most of them think I am a bit too "Renegade Female" and would rather BS me, than give me good advice.

Anyway...that is what I have now, which I feel is more than enough. Probably overkill actually.  I have to admit though, that I would just love to own a 50 cal. semi auto rifle.  They had different versions on the boats....Awesome Bang, and what a hole they make! 

Be good, and keep prep`n

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2010, 08:19:55 PM »
Welcome Rara Avis... glad to have you on the board. You are an inspiration to me with your comfort level with weapons... I still have a ways to go. It is great to have you here to share with us...

If you get the chance, stop by the intro board...

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »
Welcome, Rara Avis. I, too am alone out on a ranch in BFE.  I am referred to as that well-armed, ammo hoarding old lady on the hill. Men seem threatened by my lack of helplessness.  Have been widowed twice and prefer to take responsibility for my own safety and comfort. At 66, my options for companionship and security are my 3 dogs, the largest a German Shepherd, the loudest and best watchdog is the fat poodle.  She can hear thing the others don't hear. Great to have you join us. Oh, thread jack, my weapon of choice is my Winchester 20 ga pump or a S&W 38 special for close work. ;D

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2010, 12:57:02 AM »
If and when the time ever comes I want someone to cuddle up to at night, I won't have any problem finding someone...

Howdy.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2010, 06:35:50 AM »
Welcome aboard Rara. Nice selection of firearms too (I'm a recent new owner of a 1911 myself - where have they been all my life? ? ? ?).

One suggestion, though. You referred to some of your goodies as "assault rifles" As I'm sure you know being former military, "assault rifles" are select fire, meaning they are designed to go bang once or more than more than once for each trigger pull. Unless you have Class III licenses, your rifles (especially the SKS) are semi-auto, not "assault rifles". It may sound nit-picky, but we have enough problems with the MSM screwing facts up with "assault rifles", it pays for us to be accurate and precise - just like in shooting.

Oh, one other thing. Watch out for Oirionblade . . . .   ;)

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2010, 11:12:01 AM »
Taffeta!

Rara Avis

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
Pathfinder;

Actually they would be classified as semi-auto's in their normal guise...mine are "tricked out" and easily fire 5 round bursts with a flick of the trigger.  I know a gun smith who likes me, and thinks I am the strangest gal he has ever encountered at my age. Because I like fire arms, motorcycles, jeeps, and pink leather and lace.
He would remind you of the gun smith from the movie "SHOOTER" except he has all white hair and a silver beard.

He configures my weapons as I want them. Often, I took in several pictures of accessories or magazine articles about some military weapon test fire...and I say: "Can you make me some something like that out this?" He'll look at it a minute or two, and grin. Then he looks at me, and whispers "for you I can!" He winks, and asks; "What's ya going to do with a weapon like that? Hunt Turkey? I say; YES! that is exactly what I am going to use it for!  He laughs, and remarks, "I thought so!"  We have a repose.

He told a guy waiting to see him after I picked up my .308, "that gal there has some of the nicest weapons in the area!"  The look on his face was priceless.

I can fire full auto weapons without flinching. While awesome, they really eat up a 20 round magazine in a heart beat. That gets expensive fast. A semi auto lets you have some control of how much money you're spending on the acquired target. One/Two/Three to Five round bursts tear them up well enough. I don't need to send $29+ worth of ammo down range all at once with in seconds to hit the target. I'll let my brothers and sisters at arms in combat have that one. They need that kind of fire power. I don't.

My dad taught me the, one shot one kill, rule. I learned how to shoot with a 22 cal. single shot rifle without a scope, shooting at coffee cans full of sand, and milk jugs filled with rice.  Once I mastered that, he let me shoot his 30/30 Marlin. I also spent many balmy fall days on the skeet range with him, shooting a 20 ga. The very first revolver I fired, was a 38 cal police special, that was my grandfathers. I was 12.

I have been around firearms most of my life.  A local gun store that has a shooting club has asked me to become a member of their competition group. I would have to travel around a lot going to competitions representing the store. I haven't quite decided if it is anything I want to get involved in.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »
No kidding. A client of mine has an elk rifle chambered in one of the weatherby magnums, though. Just ONE bullet costs almost six bucks. Same goes for .50's and .338 Lapuas and the like. After investingating .50 caliber rifles a bit, when I see a browning machine gun firing in a movie now, I don't hear the muzzle blast so much as a very rapid "chaching".

Let me know if you need help throwing money donwrange, though. Sounds like you have a pretty nice stockpilecollection.

I'm betting you'd never get caught dead with one of these:

Offline ryanms2010

• Prepper
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
Hi,

Wife like .22 or Taurus .45/.410 revolver.

Michael

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2010, 12:33:40 PM »
Just wondering if the ladies here use a weapon, own a weapon....I'm talking about firearms.

I know next to nothing, and am really afraid of them.  I wanted to learn, we spent some time with my brother-in-law at his cabin specifically for that reason.  Well, I put 4 macho men to shame with a .22 first time out.  BIG mistake.  They thought it would be funny to see how I did with a 12 gauge.  That was October...my shoulder is still sore and I only fired once.  Hubby is sooo sorry, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I KNOW they snicker about it yet.  Long story short, I don't have any desire to learn anymore.  I know under dire circumstances, I could do what I had to do, but I feel sort of less than, if you know what I mean.

Tell your husband that I said he is a dickhead. And slap him upside the head for me while your at it. Then give him a disaproving frown and disapointed shake of the head.

I know you love him, but what a stupid thing for him to do to someone that he purported loves and cares for.

There are a number of these videos on youtube. I don't get it.

Our gunrights are under attack. We need as many people on our side as possible. People take more notice of a woman who owns a firearm.
Plus, nothing will put a woman on an equal basis, power wise, than a firearm. If we truely care for our women, we need to give them the ability to be no man's victim.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »
Do NOT start a new shooter out on a Mosin Nagant. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT!

I should film myself at the range smashing apples or something with the recoil some time.

You know, there are a couple hundred thousand 70+ year old Russian women who might disagree with you.  Go ahead, however, pick a fight with them.

Offline CandyBabyE

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2010, 07:27:31 AM »
Hi Nosonutso,

I'm not sure where you are located, but I would suggest that you check on line for a local "Women on Target" or "First Shots" group.  These two programs are specially designed as introductory courses for women and firearms. They start you out with .22 cal. and give excellent safety training before ever having you handle a loaded gun. 

Once you have learned how the weapon works, how to operate it safely, and discover how much fun shooting is the fear will begin to subside until you feel fully confident.  There is nothing like training to give you that confidence.

I've been shooting for years and am working on my NRA certification and still had that "fear" when I had to carry a "cocked and locked" striker fired 1911 at my ranch when my babye was getting new grips. Intellectually I knew that the gun was perfectly safe in "condition one", but because I had not trained with that gun, I still "felt" unsafe carrying it that way.

Hope this is some help. You can get past the fear. And you'll find out how much fun it is, especially with a .22.

By the way, shaken up soda cans and rotten eggs are all really fun to shoot with a .22 cal.  They give immediate "you got this one" gratification.  :excited:

Candy

Offline dicko

• Prepper
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »
This is my first post on this forum.   I see that Notsonutso's post is a year old now, but let me attempt a reply anyway.   I am not a professional instructor, but I have taught a few women how to shoot.   I am also a serving range officer at a club with a few (not enough) women members.   My experience ( I am male ) is that women tend to learn faster, and often shoot better than men.   I read somewhere that women tend to be physically more steady which might account for it.   But a more likely reason is that women come to it without baggage, no posturing.

There is nothing about firearms and shooting that cannot be done as well by women as by men.   Don't be un-nerved by a bit of recoil.  Sure, some guns are a bit more vigorous than others, but it is nothing more than the equal and opposite reaction.   Even with the hardest recoiling guns, it is not a particularly violent thing.   About the worst that can happen is the fmous half moon bruise over the eye from some rifles, and then only off the bench.   I know women who shoot rifle and shotgun at high competitive level.   Try again, in the ompany of people who will be sympathetic.   Believe me, with a little practice you'l be OK.   

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »
Thanks for your vote of encouragement, dicko. We are glad to have you here on the forum and look forward to more help and input from you. If you have a chance, stop by the forum intro thread.

LvsChant

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2010, 07:41:05 PM »
Hope this is okay to post here.

My husband and I went to the range today so I could try his 9mm and 10mm Glocks. I started off with the 9mm and it kept jamming, almost constantly. When it did fire, I would get hit in the face or the chest with the casings. After about half an hour of that he said, "Why don't you try the 10mm?" (I was a bit wary of the 10mm because it's so much bigger.) I shot that one with absolutely no problems. It just "felt right" in my hands. Too bad the ammo is so hard to find around here and so expensive, because I could have spent a pleasant day at the range with that gun.

He says that with the 9mm I was suffering from "limp wrist," but he's at a loss as to how to help me correct that (not that I am all that anxious to shoot the 9mm again). And we were both a bit confused as to why I would have done so much better with the bigger, heavier gun. Any thoughts?

Offline Aelah

• Prepper
    • Terra Del Sol Farm & Vineyard
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »
Just tried shooting for the first time yesterday. DH took me out to our friend's ranch where they build a small outdoor "range". Both he and our friend were great... patient and positive, although I was scared as hell. They had me try several rifles and handguns. Later, another friend, add his input as well. I've got to give all three guys credit for the patient (and genuine) attitudes... enough to be willing to try it again. Actually, I could see it being fun, but I think I need a kid-size rifle  :-\ (hey, I'm tiny). And the noise from the handguns scared me... need to find a way to not hear the loud bang until I adjust to it.