Author Topic: Weapon of choice  (Read 46324 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Weapon of choice
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2010, 09:55:24 AM »
Good for you, Aelah! The first time out, the noise can be a bit intimidating. Don't let it stop you... I find that I always jump at the first "bang" when I go to shoot again (even though I've experienced it many times). And just keep trying it until you find your comfort level. My boys (who are 10 and almost 12) both really enjoy shooting the AR15's that we have. Very little kick and a lot of fun. Don't know if you have access to one of those, but for a person of smaller stature, they are a great weapon to try out. My almost 12-yr old also enjoyed shooting my handgun (9mm H&K P30). The bigger handguns will have less kick, from what I have heard. Because of smaller handsize, I thing women sometimes gravitate toward smaller handguns, but they sometimes have a much bigger kick than the big ones. My 9mm has adjustable handgrips to accommodate a smaller handsize. I think some of the Glocks are also adjustable. Congratulations! [on what I hope is the first of many future trips to the range for you].

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »
OK, I gotta tell my "females with guns" story:

I had a friend, a biker type - you know the kind: BIG, long hair, greasy beard, tattoos, Harley leathers, Harley chain wallet, Harley boots - everything but the motorsicle..... God spoke directly to him. His claim, unverified. If you were female, you were lower on the evolutionary scale than MEN. If you were a female child, you were lower than the slime that forms on the belly of a dead snake. Get the picture?

We went out to a friend's farm to pop some caps: I had my Combat Masterpiece, and he had a 3" .357. We're shooting at clay pigeons stuck on a fence post from about 15 - 20 yards away. Both of us are coming close, but no hits. He asks me if I want to try the .357. "OK." < BANG....BANG....KABOOM!>. I look at him - he laughs and said, "Ha Ha, hot load." I replied, "No sh@t!". About this time, the wives come out. He almost forces his wife to "just try it". She fires twice and plows up dirt. Look on his face: what can you expect from a female? He turns to Mrs. S. "YOU want to try it?" "Nah." "C'mon try it. (Heh, heh, heh)" "Well, OK".....<BANG / POOF, BANG / POOF, BANG / POOF> (Poof being the sound a clay makes when it is shattered by a .357 from 20 yds.) Hands him revolver back with "I like those grips, we're  going back in..."

This kind of got him off his feed, so he wanders over to "Daughter- who- weaves- fences." (Age-14 at the time, Height-<5', Weight- <100#) She's shooting a 10/22 at about 25 yds. Same targets. So he starts giving her advice on "How To Shoot The Rifle", because, well, see paragraph 1. After a (very short) while, she looks up at him and said, "Will you PLEASE shut the F$#K UP!" :o
Shocked silence......POP.... Nothing. "Well, if you didn't have such a smart mouth and listened to what people are trying to tell you........."

She safes the rifle, retrieves the clay pigeon she was shooting at, shows him the .22cal hole drilled through the exact center of the clay and asked, "Is this GOOD ENOUGH for YOU?" He moped the rest of the weekend. I was never so proud of my ladies..... ;D

Fool also tried to convince another female friend that the 7.62 X 39 and the 7.62  NATO were interchangeable. Friend is NRA Instructor Trainer, spends half the summer at Camp Perry, and can cause R. Lee Ermy to blush, when she wants to. That's another story.  ;)

soupbone

Offline CandyBabyE

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2010, 03:22:06 PM »
Soupbone,
I love this story ;D.  This is one of those, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall" things. And you love to see it..  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Kate Change

• Prepper
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2010, 10:51:34 PM »
I started with a .22 but never owned one, I moved to a 9mm and have been very happy with that.  I'm more comfortable with handguns and rifles than shotguns, I'm not really sure why.  A semi-automatic pistol is very easy to fire and there is very little kick on either the .22 or 9mm.  I'd recommend those to you if you didn't enjoy the shotgun.  The NRA has classes for about a hundred bucks and in many places they have a women only option.  Take a class, from them or someone else. then practice with some of the people there and outshoot your "macho" guys.  That'll probably solve the snickering problem.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2010, 12:14:07 AM »
i trained my girls to shoot real early and it shows , there own rifles at 6 the wifes family was not impressed at all.
the oldest at 7 shooting blow flys at 20 to 25 yards. when i ask where you shooting them she said in the head.
and ive bought cheep starter guns for them to grow in to, just to train with.
and my wife ,not a regular shooter out shoots big mouth pros ,cops ,dr. sherifs easly. She takes there money they wouldnt shoot against me.
i believe weman shoot better ,and a hole lot easyer to train.
Macho bs to take a pounding, pick the gun that fits you not them.

Offline Steelheart

• Prepper
  • Just making it all work, somehow...
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2010, 07:27:06 PM »
I've taught a few women to shoot over the years.  The most recent was three plus years ago.  I don't remember what pistol I started her on but L really liked (and still does) my Taurus M85 (small frame 5 shot 38 special) steel frame (there's also aluminum frame versions).  She frequently refers to this gun as "hers".  I've offered to sell it to her but she doesn't have the money available (it's one thing after another and they're legit) and I don't think she's quite comfortable with a gun in her apartment (no, she doesn't have roommates).  L has fired just about everything I've got for firearms.

I think it was spring of 2009 that a few of us were out shooting and we talked her into firing a 12ga for the first time.  Now she had a couple of us coaching her on proper stance so she wouldn't have anything unfortunate happen to her.  In addition we loaded the shotgun (Mossberg 590 with a 20" heavy barrel and at the time it had a Speedfeed stock) fully to add weight to help reduce the recoil. And, as a last fail safe, I was behind her to catch her if need be.  We got this on video and her family thought my standing behind her to catch her was hilarious.  Needles to say, she handled the 12ga without any issues.  I've since replaced the Speedfeed with a Compstock that has the traditional stock shape (didn't like how the pistol grip one handled).  She hasn't had a chance to try it with the new stock yet.

L hasn't bought any firearms of her own but her dad gave her a Remington 22 rifle that belonged to her uncle (who passed away in 1965).  We added a scope and she used it at her first Appleseed in April of this year!  No, she didn't qualify but she was happy that she did well and was surprised at how much more she knew about guns and shooting compared to many of the males there.  L's also cross-eye dominant and chose to learn to shot long guns left handed.

I recently got a 1911 after being without one for a few years.  L doesn't like the grips (the checkering is too sharp) but beyond that she can handle it.  My ex-gf who was maybe 5'3" could handle my previous 1911 without any trouble as well.

Steelheart

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2010, 07:53:01 PM »
Good on you, steelheart, taking the time and making the effort to teach good firearms safety and methodology to the women in your life.

4Bull... you too... glad your girls are learning this stuff early in life.

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2010, 01:31:49 AM »
Morning, all,

For the ladies that shoot, either beginners or experienced, let me suggest the following web site for The Cornered Cat:

http://www.corneredcat.com/TOC.aspx

"No one in her right mind fights for the sake of fighting. But if you have to defend yourself, it's good to have sharp claws."
                                                                                                                     ------- Kathy Jackson

By a woman, primarily for women, but the guys will find it interesting, too.

soup

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2010, 06:02:36 AM »
The husband and I went to the range yesterday because I had a theory I wanted to test out. When I first shot the 9mm Glock, he had me stand the same way he does (Weaver stance). The gun kept jamming on me and it was NOT FUN at all. I had better luck with the 10mm Glock because the gun was heavier. Keep in mind the guy is 6'4" and 220 pounds, and I am 5'7" and weigh about 100 pounds less. He does concrete foundations for a living. The guy has amazing upper body strength. I have different amazing things on my upper body.

This week, I  came across an article by Massad Ayoob (http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ayoob63.html) in which he states:

The trendy Weaver Stance is not ideal for most women. Centering on an isometric push of the gun hand against the pull of the support hand, it puts a heavy value on upper body muscle tone.

So I went to the Cornered Cat website and looked at the different stances. I told him that I wanted to try the 9mm again, but standing in a way that I felt was more comfortable for ME. We went down to the range yesterday and tested out my theory. I was right on target and no jams with the 9mm. I even shot it one-handed with no trouble. The key was standing in a way that felt instinctively "correct" for me.

After that we shot the hunting rifles, because I am going hunting with him for the first time next week. I did fine with the .30-06 except that it's very heavy and I won't have a shooting rest in the woods.  :(  Then I shot his grandfather's 35 Remington. I wasn't prepared for the kick and the scope came back and whacked me in the forehead. I don't think I'll be using that gun again.

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2010, 11:04:54 AM »
DodgeTruckMom,

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my (old, bald) head:

I'm glad you found the Cornered Cat website useful - its one of my favorites. Check out the Guns for Men article  :clap:.

You might want to consider a revolver - medium frame or above - instead of an S4(Slab Sided Self Shucker). It's all mechanical and is not dependent on recoil or other forces to operate. This means you can fire it "limp wristed" and it will still work. If you need it, you may not have the time or ability to assume the proper stance, etc. A medium frame - say a Smith & Wesson Model 10 - is light enough to carry but heavy enough to cut down on recoil. Pair it with aftermarket grips - Uncle Mike's for example - and you will have a nice shooting, effective gun. The grips come in different sizes and styles, so try before you buy.

Regarding the rifles, I'm willing to bet that the .35 Rem was a light weight hunting carbine. Kick has as much to do with the gun the cartridge is fired in as the size of the cartridge itself. The most uncomfortable gun I ever shot was an Airweight Chief's Special - a 5 shot snubby that weighed all of 14 oz. With standard .38 Spec. cartridges, well, when I touched it off, that little bugger bucked and twisted every which way but loose. It hurt, and I'm not recoil sensitive. You can get hunting / shooting jackets with extra padding - or even weights sewed into the shoulder to cut down on the felt kick. As far as gun weight goes, a friend of mine (and a great shooter) uses the following trick: she moves her forward hand back along the stock to the point where she can use her "natural arm rests". I'd say sandbags, but that would be borderline tacky. You get the picture. Now she normally shoots M-1s or M-14s, which are 10 lb. rifles, in competition, so if it works for a 5 or 10 shot offhand string, it should work for a hunting shot.

Regarding "the Trendy Weaver stance", if you want fashion, pick up a copy of Vogue; in shooting, you use what works. In hunting, you owe the animal you are hunting the respect of an accurate shot and a quick kill.

Good luck and keep us posted.

soup

Offline alien

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »
I encouraged my wife to learn to shoot years ago and now she loves it.  I take pride in her ability to outshoot me consistently with a pistol.  I am only marginally better with rifle.  It is not because I am a slouch either.  She is just good.  She worked her way up from .22cal and now prefers to shoot .45 ACP most days.  It gives me peace of mind to know she can take care of herself.  Best of luck to you.

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2010, 02:59:20 PM »
Check out the Guns for Men article

That made me giggle.  ;D

You might want to consider a revolver

Yeah, I hear this a lot. It's almost like "revolver for women, semi-auto for men." I like shooting the Glocks, especially now that I have solved the jamming problem. I'm not saying I wouldn't like a revolver, but I think I'd like to become proficient with the 9mm. The husband competes in monthly IDPA meets and I would like to start competing next spring. I think there is a revolver category, but everyone in our matches shoots semi-autos.

As far as gun weight goes, a friend of mine (and a great shooter) uses the following trick: she moves her forward hand back along the stock to the point where she can use her "natural arm rests".

I will try that next time. I polled a few of my women friends who hunt, and they all like either a .270 or a 7mm-08. I'm going to see if I can borrow a couple of different ones and try them. Of course, when I said something to the husband about getting my own rifle, he said, "Why do you need your own rifle? We own four of them already." Wow. That line never used to work for me when HE wanted to buy a gun.  :o

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2010, 04:32:12 PM »
dtm,

Gee, I hope you didn't take that as a put-down. Fact of the matter is that I have been shooting handguns for 40 years, both sport and serious. Mostly serious. If I had to reach for a gun now, I'd still go for the revolver, even though I've carried and used both. I like the idea of simplicity - not having to worry about tight enough grip, magazine lips, safety, malfunction drills, etc.

This is a great advantage in a high pressure situation, whether self defense, on the game field or in a match. The real trick, though is to get a gun that fits you and that you have confidence in. In my case, I found the M-9 Beretta just too big for my small hands. I qualified with high scores, but it never felt comfortable to me. If you feel comfortable with the Glock, go for it. I've never fired one.

And why do you need your own rifle? So you can get it fitted to you. You are shorter, lighter and built different. You don't wear his sized clothes, why should you shoot his sized guns? Fitting can be as simple as cutting an inch off of the stock or as complicated (and expensive) as a custom stock made to your exact specifications. Your money, your choice. Maybe DH is just worried that you will end up out-shooting him? ;D

soup

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
No, I didn't take it as a put-down, just an observation. It seems like any time a woman has trouble with a semi-auto, instead of helping her figure out what the problem might be and how to fix it, the men always come back with, "Maybe you'd be happier with a revolver." I doubt my husband shot the Glock perfectly the first time, but I don't recall anyone suggesting he try a revolver instead.

Maybe DH is just worried that you will end up out-shooting him?

No, I think he's secure enough that that wouldn't bother him. My need for women-sized stuff instead of using the man-sized stuff he owns has been an ongoing area of negotiation throughout our 20-year marriage. I think he looks at me and sees someone who can do everything he can. So we have a Billy Goat brushcutter to mow the lawn, and I drive a (6-speed) one-ton Dodge MegaCab. (Don't get me wrong--I love my truck and I wouldn't give it up for anything. I'm just sayin'.) One morning he was trying to call someone on his new cell phone and was getting frustrated by the small keys. I looked at him and said, "So, how does it feel to use something that wasn't designed for your hands?"

I made my point that day, but I still occasionally have to remind him that I am a delicate flower.  ;D And when he hands me a pair of his leather work gloves, I pull out the ones I bought to fit my hands.

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »
dtm,

"No, I didn't take it as a put-down, just an observation. It seems like any time a woman has trouble with a semi-auto, instead of helping her figure out what the problem might be and how to fix it, the men always come back with, "Maybe you'd be happier with a revolver." I doubt my husband shot the Glock perfectly the first time, but I don't recall anyone suggesting he try a revolver instead."

Thanks for pointing this out to me, It's something I never thought of. I'd suggest a revolver to anyone, I just like them better than I do S4s.

soup

Offline dodgetruckmom

• Survivor
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2010, 08:06:51 AM »
I went to our local sporting goods store yesterday and visited with a friend of mine who works there. I asked for his recommendations in a 9mm. He knows we have Glocks. We went over the pros and cons--and the fit in my hand--of every 9mm in the store. Unfortunately we have nowhere here to rent and try out guns, or I would take a couple of different ones for test drives. The closest I've come to trying out different guns was after a recent IDPA match when some of the guys there let me try the ones they had brought.

My friend had to stop and help another customer, and while I was waiting, another acquaintance of mine came in (it's a small town). Her husband works for a major firearms manufacturer, and she was there to pick up a .45 1911 with a .22 conversion kit. We took the gun out of the case and checked it out. It's very nice, but a bit on the pricey side. She also walked through the rifle section with me and we checked out a variety of .270s and 7mm-08s. It was great to have her input. She's about the same height and build as me.

I've pretty much settled on the Springfield XDm 9mm compact. I loved the way the gun fit my hand. I could reach the magazine release without having to scooch my hand around the way I do on the Glock. I had no trouble racking the slide. So, good to have that decision out of the way. The husband is happy with my choice (he may just be happy that I am no longer agonizing over my choice). Now I need to decide on a rifle. I understand why people need so many guns. I mean, I used to understand, in theory, but now I really understand.

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2010, 09:15:17 PM »
dtm,

I think you have just gotten bit by the bug. Now you'll have to take a third friend with you on your visits to the gun shop to hold both of your cards and money. Try to get a non-shooter to come along. I can hear the "discussions" now: "NO! - you got the see- through scope mounts last week - This week, I'm getting a pancake holster....." ;D

soup

PS: Been there / done that, sb

Offline DaiseyMae

• Prepper
« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2011, 09:56:42 PM »
Just wondering if the ladies here use a weapon, own a weapon....I'm talking about firearms.

I know next to nothing, and am really afraid of them.  I wanted to learn, we spent some time with my brother-in-law at his cabin specifically for that reason.  Well, I put 4 macho men to shame with a .22 first time out.  BIG mistake.  They thought it would be funny to see how I did with a 12 gauge.  That was October...my shoulder is still sore and I only fired once.  Hubby is sooo sorry, yadda, yadda, yadda.  I KNOW they snicker about it yet.  Long story short, I don't have any desire to learn anymore.  I know under dire circumstances, I could do what I had to do, but I feel sort of less than, if you know what I mean.

I own several rifles and pistols.
For starters, I was born in Texas. In Texas..most are happy to see a woman know how to shoot.
My father taught me how when I was a small girl. I am glad that he did. I am quite comfortable shooting ANY weapon.
I have saw you tube videos of dumb guys laughing their butts off at women and the recoil from the weapon. This is sooo stupid in my book. First of all, if they had ANY decency, they would have told you to be aware that it does have some recoil to it, depending on the caliber.
One video in particular was a woman shooting a .50 cal. And you could hear them laughing thier butts off. NOT good. Of course she seemed to be ignoring them. Good for her.
For all they know, this woman could save their laughing butts life one day.
Another was a woman shooting a gun that kicked her in the face. It bloodied her face, hurt her nose. I would be so mad.
I guess I probably would have went over to him and let his face kiss the rifle butt. Nuff said on that.
Ignore  people that seem to have NO common sense.
If you have to, go practise alone or with someone who will not laugh. You do not need that.
The local class instructor here told me one of his best shooters was a woman and that he thinks they make the best, in his MANY years of experience.
Do feel intimidated. Just take your time  and practise till you get to feeling more comfortable with it. Soon it will hopefully feel like a part of you.
Hang in there!  ;)

Ooops...sorry. I forgot to say what my weapon of choice was. I love my Mini 14. But hard to choose my favs.
I love my Taurus pistol that shoots a 410 AND a .45 both.  ;D
Love the Rueger.45 acp too. I love they way it fits my hand and the way it shoots.  :P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:17:07 PM by DaiseyMae »

Offline ore2u

• Prepper
« Reply #108 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:57 PM »
Please dont give up!!!!!! I dont think my wife had ever shot prior to knowing me. But now she shoots almost every thing that I own. I said Almost....I own a few that I dont even like to shoot and I have a 100lbs on her. I have suggested that she doesn't shoot those. She started with a 22 and carries a .357
 Its all about confidence, expeirence, and training

Offline GreyWolf

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »
Women can shoot just as acuratly and efficiently as men if properly trained. There are many men out there who dont know which end of the gun to shoot with. Gender doesnt guarentee skill or knowledge. Remember Annie Oakley? When the SHTF everyone  in your team needs to feel comfortable shooting a weapon. Not everyone can handle a 12 gauge, but that doesnt mean they cant handle a 30 30.When the SHTF and the air is thick with incoming rounds, you will be thankful for any one beside you who can send rounds downrange at the enemy. Teamwork is more than just  a word in the dictionary between the two words twit and testicle. It means everyone in your team that is old enough and responsible enough will need to have the skills necessary to fire a weapon. People need to learn how to depend on each other for their skills and experiences. The American Indians had the right idea.

Offline catherine

• Prepper
  • My father taught me how to look after myself
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2011, 07:21:43 AM »
Hello,
I've been very lucky in the fact my dad first started to teach me to shoot when I was about 6 years old.
I got to fire most weapons used by the British military in the 70's - 90's and spent my school holidays working in a military armoury being taught by a military armourer. As I say an amazing childhood especially as alongside this learnt a huge amont of bush craft and skills

Unfortuatley as I live i the UK the gun laws prevent me from holding the weapons.
In a ideal situation I'd love own
SLR 7.62 with wooden furniture.
10 magazines
several hunderd filled striper clips

bayonet
cleaning kit
spares kit.

Side arm
reasearching this at the moment
I'd also have a 12 gauge shotgun and a.22 airrifle.

The gun licencing restrictions in the UK are extreamly tight. Things like concealed carry are highlyh ileagle.

Due to living in the United Kingdom  

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2011, 07:27:05 AM »
Yes... from what I've heard, it is quite difficult to own firearms in other countries. Are there special options for collectible weapons? There are many WWII vintage weapons that would be considered collectible (yet still be fully functional). That may be an option for rifles or sidearms... just a thought.

Offline soupbone

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2011, 02:10:30 PM »
What about black powder? I know it's not as "effective" as modern firearms, but a .31 caliber Colt Baby Dragoon or Remington Beals are just as much fun as a Glock. I understand tht cowboy shooting is popular across the pond - you may want to see about joining a shooting club.

soupbone

Offline SurvivalTechEU

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Comms fanatic
    • SurvivalTechEU
Re: Weapon of choice - straight razor
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2014, 11:45:12 PM »
He was raised in Whittier CA where there were a lot of "cholitas" and ...

So, he gave me the weapon, taught me "cholita-fu"...
 --
Jeanette

You cant imagine my laughter right now
I grew up in that neighborhood and understand perfectly his fear of the "Cholita-fu" Master.
That blade is great for slash & run, but practical training can be rather difficult to obtain :D
Still it's really easy to hide, and someone who would do you harm would probably never see it coming. you get only one shot though.
did you find the new one?

Julian

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2014, 12:44:37 AM »
I own several rifles and pistols.
For starters, I was born in Texas. In Texas..most are happy to see a woman know how to shoot.
My father taught me how when I was a small girl. I am glad that he did. I am quite comfortable shooting ANY weapon.
I have saw you tube videos of dumb guys laughing their butts off at women and the recoil from the weapon. This is sooo stupid in my book. First of all, if they had ANY decency, they would have told you to be aware that it does have some recoil to it, depending on the caliber.
One video in particular was a woman shooting a .50 cal. And you could hear them laughing thier butts off. NOT good. Of course she seemed to be ignoring them. Good for her.
For all they know, this woman could save their laughing butts life one day.
Another was a woman shooting a gun that kicked her in the face. It bloodied her face, hurt her nose. I would be so mad.
I guess I probably would have went over to him and let his face kiss the rifle butt. Nuff said on that.
Ignore  people that seem to have NO common sense.
If you have to, go practise alone or with someone who will not laugh. You do not need that.
The local class instructor here told me one of his best shooters was a woman and that he thinks they make the best, in his MANY years of experience.
Do feel intimidated. Just take your time  and practise till you get to feeling more comfortable with it. Soon it will hopefully feel like a part of you.
Hang in there!  ;)

^^^ THIS

Since Julian resurrected this thread, I'd like to make a comment.

I was taught the "mind" was your weapon; a gun, knife, baseball bat, frying pan, etc. are all merely tools.  Each tool performs a certain purpose, much like a screwdriver, hammer, or wrench would.  How could you say a "screwdriver" was the tool of choice without knowing the situation at hand?

That's where the mind comes in, being alert, recognizing the situation, analyzing options, making a plan, executing if necessary.  All using the best tools available at the time.  (Going back to the original post of this thread...)  As a woman, we might prefer different tools to use from the guys, and that's just fine.  Girls, don't ever think you are inadequate merely because you are female.

Guys, there's a good number of us that enjoy shooting .50's.

~TG