Author Topic: Cold Steel Knives  (Read 9221 times)

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Cold Steel Knives
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
...BTW
My friend works for a company that is a dealer for SOG knives now and he let me in on a special sale. I ordered a couple of fixed blade knives.  I will be happy if they are half as good as the Cold Steel.
I hope they come in before Christmas as they are for a couple of my sons.

http://sogknives.com/store/D26B.html

http://sogknives.com/store/S21B.html

I carry a SOG "Auto-Clip" as my "in pocket" EDC, hasn't let me down yet.  Keeps a good sharp edge no matter what I cut.

Tim.

Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 02:15:40 AM »
My friend works for a company that is a dealer for SOG knives now and he let me in on a special sale. I ordered a couple of fixed blade knives.  I will be happy if they are half as good as the Cold Steel.

I don’t have ether of the knives you ordered so I cant speak to those specifically. I do however own several SOG products and in general I prefer them to Cold Steel. The exception to that would be the SOG Fusion line of products, since it is SOGs budget line they’re not as nice as the rest of there products.

I think you will be happy with what you ordered.
"Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito"
"Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it."
Virgil's Aeneid, Book VI

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 07:16:35 AM »
They came in the other day.  :D They are nice, very nice. The fit and finish is great. The came in reasonably sharp. The sheaths are very well designed molded plastic.
I still have a problem with the made in Tiawan ::) and the retail price they ask for them. I am just thankfull I don't have anywhere near that in them.

Offline JeePerz

• The Candyman
  • Prepper
  • Take care, stay safe and Godspeed...
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2010, 10:30:13 AM »
bit of trivia, back of a plate sharpens high carpon steel,remember your grandparents knives etc, a leather strop makesd a razor?

The "cheap" CS Kukris come with a less than descent edge on them.

However as minrlwtr pointed out, the "un-cooked" bottom part of china-ware will work just fine ... FYI, it is ceramic after all ...

You can take-off the paint and metal residues, under some hot water with a bit of nail power ...

Regards,
JP
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. ~ Heinlein

Offline PositiveForce

• Prepper
  • Never ponder on negative thoughts
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »
I have a fair collection of Cold Steel knives, I bought them all in the early '90's: Master Tanto, Magnum Tanto, Recon Tanto, Mini Tanto, two folders, BUT.... Back then Cold Steel was American made with steel from Japan. Now, the knives are made in China, and I have a problem with that.
"If your going through hell, keep going."
~Winston Churchill~

"The best thing that you can give your children is healthy parents."
~Brad Nelson~

"Hide your fears and share your courage with others."
~Franklin Miller~

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2011, 10:23:27 PM »
I've hit a knife buying spree as of late, and I picked up the Cold Steel American Lawman.
I really like the handle of this knife. Razor sharp right out of the package, light for everyday carry, and easy, smooth action.

My Blog:
http://randolphriflemansunion.blogspot.com/
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I beat you with until you understand who is in charge."
Jayne from "Firefly"

_________

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
I like Cold Steel knives for what the are.  And lately I've been eyeing a Cold Steel Spartan, or possibly a Rajah II.  I prefer Sharp knives for everything, and BIG knives for EVERYTHING, and Cold Steel makes big, sharp knives in my price range.

Offline Whiskey

• Prepper
  • So tactical it hurts.
    • Whiskey's Whiteboard (youtube)
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
My EDC folder is a Cold Steel AK47. A buddy bought it for me in the PX in Afghanistan. It stays sharp, opens fast, and is very sturdy. I think it is an excellent knife.

edited-mixed up threads.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:49:29 PM by Whiskey »
"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.”
- Miyamoto Musashi

Offline hunprep

• Fledgling Prepper
    • The Hungarian Prepper
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 09:18:30 AM »
Recently ordered an SRK after hesitating long and hard between that and Recon Tanto that my dad suggested.
I have read lots of good and bad things about the AUS8-A SRK. What do you guys think, did I make a good or a terrible buy?
Prepare for the small and the big and they won't look like a chatastrophy.

http://hunprep.tumblr.com

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

Online Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2012, 09:56:34 AM »
I have one of the original SRK's (The Carbon V steel, not the aus).  BEST FREAKIN knife I've ever owned.  It takes every bit of use I throw at it and holds an edge like no other.  Rock Solid, feels good in the hand and the handle is the perfect combination of hard/soft for comfort and heavy use.   
Docwatmo

Father of 3 wonderfull little men, and lucky husband to an amazing woman. 
"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne
"Don't prepare for everything, prepare for anything." Doc 
"Gods Speed, Jenkins, Gods Speed" - Nafterize

Mark II, Mod 3, gas operated, self lubricating Inflatable Goat type 1
Ever watchful for the deadly Blue Winged Pecker Snapple
http://averageguyreviews.wordpress.com

Offline RazorCityDen

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »
I've had a few Cold Steel knives over the years and frankly in this day and age with so many good knives to choose from Cold Steel leaves me cold. Sure they don't suck, but there are some truly excellent knives out there for around the same money that are of much, much better design and quality, not to mention made in the USA.

Offline Sprunch

• Prepper
  • Has the gear, learning the skills
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »
l have the Leatherneck SF, solid full tang sharp as f**k out of the box :o and fairly priced, bought it on a promo and got two trainers with it.
Also have 3 machetes, two magnum kukri and a two handed latin, the came with 'working' edge which would be fine for hacking through brush but not to my liking, reworked all three blades and am very happy with them for their price point. :D

inbox485

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 12:22:13 PM »
Anybody judging CS by their $15 machetes doesn't know what they are missing. They have some of the best $15-$30 machetes you can get, but those are NOT knives. They also have some of the best knives you can get in the $100 - $300 range. I've broken many knives, but the only thing CS I've bought that isn't alive and well today was "donated" to a TSA goon.

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
I like Cold Steel, in fact couple years ago I was buying them like crazy (having access to better prices).  Then some of my joy went away as I was buying their more recent products, comparing them with old series. I ended up selling many of the things I bought, mostly keeping Japanese and US made items only.
One of my most favourite knives of all times is their Recon Scout in San-MaiIII sandwich steel, IMO this is the closest one can get to a true universal knife. Serves me well, replaced my old and trusted Uton75 (old Czechoslovakian paratrooper's knife) and sent it to hard-earned retirement. For lighter carry desires, my Recon Scout gets recently replaced by Kizlyar Irtysh now and then, but Scout is and likely always will be my SHTF main blade.

I have to say I'm not all that impressed with CS Gurkha kukri. Got the cheaper SK5 version. Not bad, just not completely worth the money IMO. But certainly not bad enough to get rid of it.
Black Bear Classic - think a modern day's smallsword for a gentleman. That's this knife! Ellegant, fast and deadly. More weapon than tool though. I carry it in the city sometimes, especially when I (rarely) don't have a gun on me.
Voyager series (including Vaqueros and Gunsite) - the old Japanese ones - awesome! The only thing I regret is they don't have reversible pocket clip. Got couple of them and carry them all the time.
Recon1 - got two of the discontinued Japanese series with UltraLock. Love them! Bad news thoug, I had to fight for them on ebay, comepting with crazy collectors who may be willing to pay unbeliveable amounts for them. I got lucky.
Rajah II - great, but would gladly pay more for a better blade material than Taiwan-made AUS8 steel. Too soft. Also, recent CS's policy of using bead-blast finish on the blades makes them rust easily and look cheap. I solved that by putting a "brushed steel finish" on it with a rough dish sponge.
Spartan - love the shape, as for steel - just like Rajah. Also removed the beadblast off it.
Trench shovel - love it! One fo the best outdoor/survival tools investments one can make. Despite Taiwan made, it's very durable and holds edge nicely. Very versatile tool, not too heavy. Trench shovels are also war-proved to be highly effective in close combat.
Mini Hunter - overpriced IMO, but very usable little knife, good for backup or perhaps bugout kits. VG1 steel is my favourite of CS production (same on old series Voyagers and inside the San-Mai sandwich blades)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
Anybody judging CS by their $15 machetes doesn't know what they are missing. They have some of the best $15-$30 machetes you can get, but those are NOT knives.

Amen.  The kids gave me a kopis machete for Father's Day, and man does that thing ever tear through brush and vines.  The blade's curve is just right for chopping limbs.  But Leonidas and the boys could've told you that.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline Fixit

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 12:14:47 PM »
 I will have to say that I love cold steel knives  and machetes . There blowgun are very good also.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2013, 01:07:34 PM »
Been carrying their Pro Guard Neck Knife lately.  Seriously nice little "defensive" knife.

Offline BamaPrepper

• Prepper
  • I tried to be reasonable...I didn't like it....
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2013, 06:27:33 AM »
I purchased a Cold Steel AK-47 a couple months back and it has been my EDC knife ever since.  The whole thing is a little bigger than my previous EDC knife, but the quality is worth the increase in size.  Great all around knife and it has held its edge very well.
"It's not the will to win, it's the will to prepare to win that matters." Paul "Bear" Bryant

Don't draw fire...it irritates the people around you.

Offline TimSuggs

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 01:52:23 AM »
And I forgot to mention I own quite a few of the CS "rubber" Training Knives too and they too are built like Battleships!
Tim Suggs
Birmingham, AL. USA!
Murder Capital of the South