Author Topic: SNOW SCHOOL  (Read 4901 times)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
SNOW SCHOOL
« on: September 20, 2009, 08:08:56 PM »
    About this time at work we check all the vehicles for gear needed for winter. (IE Tire chains, shovels, jumper cables and such) We call it Snow school. The Road Department goes a couple steps farther and hooks up all the plows and makes sure everything is working.

I suggest as Prepper's we start doing the same so supplies are easily attained now instead of when the snow's fly.

Please list out what supplies or things you need to do to get ready for winter:

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: SNOW SCHOOL
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »
   I have to check our vehicles for tire chains, I know I will have to buy a set for a new rig we bought. Have to add a collapsible snow shovel in our truck. I am also going to check our Bob's and add winter clothing.
I insulated the water lines in well house last year, but will recheck them.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »
I will be throwing a bucket of salt in my car.  I have a tow strap as well to help my neighbors (or myself) pull each other out of ditches.  I have a spare pair of snow/ice winshiled wiper blades in the garage i didn't use last year, I will have to go find those.  Jumper cables are always in the car, but I should get the battery tested, winters are hard on the batteries.

RobW

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »
    About this time at work we check all the vehicles for gear needed for winter. (IE Tire chains, shovels, jumper cables and such) We call it Snow school. The Road Department goes a couple steps farther and hooks up all the plows and makes sure everything is working.

I suggest as Prepper's we start doing the same so supplies are easily attained now instead of when the snow's fly.

I carry an extra bottle of windshield solvent, a few just-in-case items specific to my car (diesel car), fuel additive, a wool army blanket, an entrenching tool, Pac boots, gloves, carhart overalls, hat.  It all goes in the trunk with all my regular EDC gear.  Once the first snow flies I'll swap my summer wheels and tires for my winter set.  My current car is the first one I've owned in a loooong time that wasn't four wheel drive, and the difference between all season and dedicated winter tires is huge!  When I get another truck I'll have winter tires for it too.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 02:15:01 PM »
Awesome idea.

I have a summer car and a winter truck, so need to get the truck out and make sure it's in working order.

Mechanicals:
Tires:  NEW
Oil: NEW
Radiator fluid: Requires flush & drain as it's 5 years old
Transmission fluid: Requires changing
XFer case fluid: Requires changing
Test 4WD operation
Check serp belt

Do a pre-winter wash n wax, and prep the interior well.

Add:
Blankets
Gloves, mittens, boots and hats for regular occupants (me, spouse, kid)
chemical warmer kits
Shovel
A bag of gravel
Windshield solvent
Keyhole de-icer
Fix a Flat new can
snowshoes
Jumper cables
Tow straps
Cargo straps
Cell phone charger
Thinking about a CD radio...

Update:
Get Home Bag- switch to winter gear

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 05:39:46 PM »
Good reminder Beetle, although we're a long way off from winter weather here.

Time to reassess anyway.

+1

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 08:35:46 PM »
If it snows here, I will just wait until the next day, when it is all gone. ;)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:45:46 PM »
^^^^^^^^
yeah me too. We havent had a good snow here since 2003. If we do I get my monster jeep out and make money pulling all the stuck idiots in their fancy vehicles.

Offline tburda

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 11:20:23 AM »
^^^^^^^^
yeah me too. We havent had a good snow here since 2003. If we do I get my monster jeep out and make money pulling all the stuck idiots in their fancy vehicles.

we usually get decent snow here, but i'd have to say the same thing  ;D

00 cherokee, 6" lift, 35" MT's 4.0L. 

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 04:06:12 PM »
Two words -

SNOW TIRES

All season tires su&%.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 06:12:21 PM »
Two words -

SNOW TIRES

All season tires su&%.
I agree but most of society is lazy and wont do that.

Offline survivininct

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Homeowner's Friend Podcast
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 08:43:11 PM »
I agree but most of society is lazy and wont do that.

Yes, and most of society has 1 day of food in the pantry, 5 dollars in their pockets, and trusts FEMA to save the day!~   :D

Thox Spuddy

Vehicle prepardness: winter
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 12:05:44 AM »
Living in a climate where it is not unusual to experience winter driving where temps dip to -20, or blinding snowstorms dumping undriveable amounts of snow, or blowing snowstorms of fallen snow at night.... I have had a handful of experiences in all of those.

Traction: I drive a rear-wheel drive truck and carry 2-4 5 gallon buckets of sand in the back for traction. If you go off the road you need flares, winches, shovels, traction (the sand in the buckets) cell phone/cb radio/frs radio.
Heat: I carry a number of propane 1 lb canisters and a catalytic heater. This is fairly fireproof and is enough to keep the interior warm in a Armistice Day type blizzard for a day one one 1 lb canister.

Water: a real challenge is to find a container that can freeze and thaw repeatedly. This winter I'm going to try brandy bottles from Mr. Boston. First I'll drink the brandy (I'll start now) and then peel the labels (I don't want to be featured on "Cops") and then 3/4 fill with water. I think those bottles will withstand the freeze/thaw cycle, but in an emergency situation I don' how I would thaw them out to drink. 

Safety: In our part of the country the biggest danger in winter nighttime blizzard driving on two-lane highways is meeting a snowplow, or another car. You don't see them and they don't see you and neither one has any idea where the center line is. The best advice is to get off the road.

The most common threat in sub-zero winter driving is loss of interior heat in your vehicle. If the heater core plugs up, which it will do in the winter time as it is closed off all summer (which is why I open up the heat with the AC on during mild summer heat) if there is enough sludge to do it. That is how I got frostbite on my toes. Carry blankets, warm socks, extras.

:P

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 12:25:38 AM »

Hmmm.. Okay!

My supplies for winter:
Sunblock SPF 30 instead of 45.
Ice.
Rum.
New Swim trunks.
New Beach Towel.
Charcoal.
New Sunglasses.
Renew beach parking permit.
get some fireworks for the Christmas Cookout.

Regards all from South Texas,
Shadowalker  :P

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Vehicle prepardness: winter
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 04:50:42 AM »
Great points. The catalytic heater should help melt the water.

I also carry those pocket warmers, get them in bulk on sale, good for a few hours of warmth and they come in different sizes. I don't think they'll warm up a whole vehicle interior but they will warm you up.

When I run the pickup, I get those 60# sand tubes for the back, less mess, no threat of them spilling. I put them directly over the back axle. And you can easily cut them open if you need traction.

Thox Spuddy

Re: Vehicle prepardness: winter
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 07:59:14 AM »
I should have mentioned that I put lids on the buckets of sand. Unless you restrain them they will slide around unlike the bags and do consume more space, but are easier to store year round.

Once I shoveled sand from the pile the city had for winter road use not realizing that it was a sand/salt mixture. In the spring I had a good view of the rear axle without having to get underneath the truck.

Offline Mad_Man

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
    • Calusa Commons
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 01:24:54 PM »
This is why I live in Florida.  As the eldest child, it was my job to shovel the driveway when growing up in Ohio.  I have not shoveled my driveway once since moving here.

Offline Saint

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bury it and bury the shovel.
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »
along with car prep, I'm looking to use my Jeep to do some plowing this year - can anyone recommend a decent (not too costly, not too cheap-O) plow - I'll probably be looking on craigslist.

Offline MontanaBound

• Prepper
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 02:03:14 PM »
Those of you with 4x4's that use an electric motor to shift the transfer case I would check them quite often for proper operation,  I have seen a huge number of them get used so little that when that magic button is pushed nothing happens!!!
I very large number of today's vehicles use electric motors ( i think almost all in fact) and they are without a doubt no fail safe, even vehicles like Toyota's that are not usually known for electrical problems.
If you find yourself in a situation where nothing happens I have gotten a lot of them to temporarily work  by tapping on the motor with a rubber mallet.
When I bought our last Jeep Wrangler the thing I liked about it most was the fact it had a lever to engage the transfer.