Author Topic: Observations on combat from a moving vehicle  (Read 17839 times)

Goatdog62

Observations on combat from a moving vehicle
« on: May 10, 2009, 08:24:21 PM »
First of all, I don't advocate doing this. In a BO situation I think that low profile is the way to go. Hopefully you can get to your destination before most of the sheeples realize the crisis is real.

Having said that, I found myself in the early days of Iraqi Freedom as a civilian contractor with Blackwater, in Fallujah, with no Forward Operating Base to call home, in soft-skinned vehicles, with no comm equipment that could reach over a mile, for six months. At times it was like a bad dream.

We started with soft-skinned vehicles, when armored SUV's and trucks were in short supply, eventually my crew and I found a friendly U.S. Army Warrant Officer at Camp Ridgeway who saw our sandbagged F350 diesel on a visit and offered to help. He ran a maintenance company. He had welding skills and a lot of the Hardox and Armox armor that was used to make "hillbilly humvees." He had us come by the following two Sundays, when no one was around and he got into working on our truck with a lot of enthusiasm.

He welded plates into all the floorboards, shields up to window level on all four doors, a massive "push" bumper, and, best of all, a double-plated gun tub for the RPK, later PKM, later SAW machine guns mounted in the back. The extra weight hardly seemed to affect the trucks get up and go at all. In fact, I really liked that truck. We paid him with a bottle of Absolut that we'd picked up at the mostly abandoned at the time Baghdad International Airport (BIAP) on one of our runs.

I highly recommend a diesel if you are going to try to uparmor a vehicle of yours. The weight is considerable and only the 3/4 and 1 tons can handle it for extended periods of time.

We could accurately shoot the MG's from the tub towards the rear, while rolling, with little adjustment. Same if we stood up and fired over the front. When firing to the side, it was basically necessary to walk our rounds into the target with extended bursts.

As far as firing our M4's from the cab windows, our Aimpoints were our saving grace. With some practice we were able to get first round hits during drive by engagements rather consistently. The red dots were very valuable for the right handed shooters who had to sit on the right (passenger) side of the cab. You could hold the gun left handed and, no matter how awkward it felt, as long as the dot was on the target it hit it with very little reverse lead (effective up to 30 - 50 meters or so).

This worked in training and later proved valuable when SHTF.

Some additional, though admittedly unscientific, observations. We had plenty of 10" x 12" armor plates cut that we used for target practice. At 50 meters from a 14.5 M4 barrel 5.56 ball, blacktip, and even tracer penetrated the Hardox and Armox. The greentip put a significant dent in it, but did not penetrate. 7.62 x 39 from both AK-47's and RPK did not penetrate. 7.62 x 54 punched a very nice hole.

At 100 meters, greentip DID PENETRATE. So did ball and blacktip. Tracer only dented it. 7.62 x 39 from AK and RPK did not penetrate. 7.62 x 54 make a sweet hole.

Most laminated bullet resistant glass will be penetrated by the third rifle round hitting the same pane. It is only bullet proof for the shortest periods of time. Hopefully enough to drive out of the gunfire or, if your vehicle is down, to bail and run away. Do not think it best to stay inside a brokedick armored vehicle. It is not an Alamo and is a bullet magnet, or worse...a target for a well-aimed RPG shot.

The less stuff you have attached to your M4, the less chance it will get tangled in seatbelts, your gear, etc. Especially if you have to unass your vehicle in a hurry. Aimpoint good. Forward grips, lights, excess rail, complex slings, etc, not good. If you have the luxury of having several weapons, a relatively unladen "car gun" is not a bad idea. Shortbarrels are better than long for the same reasons. I like to think my Auto Ordnance M1 .30 Carbine with the folding stock serves this purpose well (stateside). You still have a semi-decent weapon for use should you have to dismount (ask the ghosts of the thousands of dead Chinese and North Koreans). While I simply love the MP5, and found it almost perfect for SWAT entry work, it isn't that great when you need to reach a little further. A shotgun slug will penetrate another car at close range, but 00 didn't prove very useful (maybe on crowds of zombies it would?).

Gunfire hitting your car frequently only sounds like someone tapping the side of it. You may not recognize that you are under fire unless you hear the actual report, see circular muzzle flashes, or see the little booger eaters themselves.

The best drivers should be designated as the wheel men. Good shooters are a dime a dozen, good tactical drivers are not so. Most people think they are good drivers. Ex-cops frequently are but anyone with good reflexes can learn. They also can't be hotheaded. Most people think high-speed is the cure, and speed is necessary at times, but dying in a wreck is dead just the same.

IED's can't always be spotted. Vigilance saved my ass more than once, but I've also been made aware of a roadside bomb by its detonation next to my car. It turns your world inside out. I was fortunate then and several times since. I watched the car in front of me (in '05 on a different gig near Route Irish) get blown off an overpass and onto the traffic below. They didn't make it. Armor can help with explosives (distance and shielding are your friends) but it only does so much.

Ignore flat tires until the car just won't go any further or you are sure you have reached a point of relative safety. A penetrated automatic transmission may not seize up for 800 yards or more, that may be enough to get you off the X. A destroyed radiator won't overheat the car immediately either, drive as far as you can. A car on fire (this happened, but not to me) went 40 kilometers before the smoke inside the car became too overwheming.

Travel only with people you love or trust. Early on over there, I met a lot of cowboys and drunks. They create more problems than they do solutions.

I write this to share MY observations and MY opinions. I know that others have experience in the Road Warrior worlds out there. Share what you learned. I lost a lot of friends (25 at last count) over there. People I actually knew and cared about. I have never met my fellow Tennessean James Yeager, but we shared a mutual friend , Jay Hunt, who is no longer with us. Three years over there was enough.

One last thing. Iraq was actually a fairly civilized country before SHTF. As Jack says, it is low probability that it will happen here, but it will be high impact. Just going to populated areas to get foods and water cost many people their lives, the markets were/are frequent targets for bombings. Get a good stash built up for yourself and stay away from the unwashed masses. Realize that there will be little to no electricity and no, it won't be back on "in a few days." Being there convinced me to be a prepper.

my 2 pennies,
Goatdog

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:06:35 AM by Goatdog62 »

Goatdog62

Some Pics
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:21:56 PM »
I literally have thousands of pics from my tours over there (who doesn't?) but I'll try not to bore you guys/gals with them. Most of these are significant to my original posting.

My SAW with Aimpoint
Me as driver
SAW Gunner POV
Grenades made extra "safe"
F350 diesel
Inside the tub
Rear of Viper
Tub was painted white to reduce visual signature and reflect heat
We put blackout drive on one switch for NVG driving and another switch for service drive
RPK with drum
A Bradley had my six this day
RPK Gunner POV
Tubthumping
Middle of Nowhere, right next to Hell
It was either bandannas or mohawks. I don't like mohawks.
Mudded up
Front seat floorboard armor, extended under seats too.
Rear floorboard armor
Rear door armor
Front door armor

I tried for hours to make the images big enough to view without having to click them. I failed.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:47:00 PM by Goatdog62 »

Goatdog62

Re: Observations on combat from a moving vehicle
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 09:29:47 PM »
a few other things;

I cannot recall a single instance of our M4's jamming, failing to feed, stovepiping, etc. No one told me that theirs did and I know mine did not. Our weapons got very dirty and were immediately dusty again after cleaning. There is no avoiding the dirt, we also very lightly oiled our bolts. Really we oiled them and wiped as much as we could off. I know that YMMV but I've been carrying the M16/M4/AR15 system for over 30 years and would trust it with my life again. In Fallujah and later on the State Dept gig in Baghdad, our Bushmasters proved to be excellent weapons systems.

The Glock, as in every other environment it is exposed too, worked infallibly in the desert. Great gun. Simply said...just about perfect.

Toyotas rule most of the third world. They can be repaired with kleenex and spit. Had good results from that F350, but given a choice, a Toyota is mine. I currently own three and a Lexus. All four use the same oil filters and other parts. I like that.

Goatdog62

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »
and more;

NVG's aren't that useful in urban areas if you are driving. They will be a little more useful if the power is out and all the lights typically found in a city aren't blinding out your NOD's. Just the oncoming headlights from other traffic, and even brakelights from cars in front of you, can render them semi-useless. If you have more than one occupant in your vehicle, consider having one passenger wear them and the driver not.

In a rural area, they are truly an asset. Even the old Gen I and II stuff, with a little help from the moon, will allow you to drive really well with no headlights at all.

Offline Spamity Calamity

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just a mall ninja at heart.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 12:58:46 PM »
Nice I am thinking of going with a toyota for my BOV. But they dont make a heavy version you alluded to do they? (3/4 or 1 ton). The armor is interesting. It just hangs there on the side like that? I guess if a fellow had some time I could mebbe figure out how to work that behind the door panels how thick is that stuff? Is armor plating even available for us civilians over here in the US?

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »
Good stuff. Thanks for the sandlot shots, much appreciated!

Muddyboots

Goatdog62

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 04:26:23 PM »
Actually, I've drove/rode level B7 armored Land Cruisers overseas and stateside. They had diesels though, I'm sure they were imported as Toyota doesn't have an oilburner available stateside.

Great trucks. Wish I had one, but with the armor package they are over $140K new. These are done right though, in a dedicated assembly line. I have seen some add-on armor that comes in kits specifically made for whatever type vehicle you have. You bolt it in/on yourself and hope for the best. It rattles, it takes away available interior space, it doesn't include floorboards or headliners, and doesn't make you feel very secure.

Hardox and Armox are only about 1/4 to 3/8ths inch thick. Heavy though. Last I heard a 4' x 8' sheet of either was around $12K, so no budget stuff there. Of course, that is what they were charging the military, YMMV.

It is available for private purchase but exporting it was illegal. That is as of 2005.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 07:49:54 PM »
Man, that's a lot of good info goatdog, and much appreciated. +1

Goatdog62

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 08:08:03 PM »
Thanks Khristopher23

I put some time into it, and have a lot more on the subject, but few commented so I figured it wasn't pertinent to this forum. Its there for whoever wants to read it though, so my work here is done ;D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »
No, no, it IS pertinent to this forum.  The thing is, I know basically nothing about what you're talking about.  So I'm reading, and not contributing to the thread, but you get a +1 from me every time I click on it.  So please, continue.  You are valued.  :)

Goatdog62

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:05:01 PM »
Thanks Sister Wolf!

I have found all your comments on any thread to be not only relevant, but articulate. People like you, Heavy G, Jack, etc are what convinced me to join TSP.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 09:21:50 PM »
Thanks Sister Wolf!

I have found all your comments on any thread to be not only relevant, but articulate. People like you, Heavy G, Jack, etc are what convinced me to join TSP.

Thank you! :)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 03:28:44 AM »
a few other things;

I cannot recall a single instance of our M4's jamming, failing to feed, stovepiping, etc. No one told me that theirs did and I know mine did not. Our weapons got very dirty and were immediately dusty again after cleaning. There is no avoiding the dirt, we also very lightly oiled our bolts. Really we oiled them and wiped as much as we could off. I know that YMMV but I've been carrying the M16/M4/AR15 system for over 30 years and would trust it with my life again. In Fallujah and later on the State Dept gig in Baghdad, our Bushmasters proved to be excellent weapons systems.

The Glock, as in every other environment it is exposed too, worked infallibly in the desert. Great gun. Simply said...just about perfect.

Toyotas rule most of the third world. They can be repaired with kleenex and spit. Had good results from that F350, but given a choice, a Toyota is mine. I currently own three and a Lexus. All four use the same oil filters and other parts. I like that.

Good to hear that of the Glocks...

I heard that if a Molotov is thrown at your windshield NOT to use your windshiled wipers as the rubber smears and makes visibility impossible. Any experience with  Molotov's?

Goatdog62

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 04:46:01 AM »
No molotov experience. Just rocks and mud (and bullets). I never heard of any flaming bottles of gas thrown at anyone while I was there. Don't know what my reaction would be exactly. Hmmmm...

James Yeager

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 10:35:48 PM »
No molotov experience. Just rocks and mud (and bullets). I never heard of any flaming bottles of gas thrown at anyone while I was there. Don't know what my reaction would be exactly. Hmmmm...

I never had any, or heard of any, in Iraq either. That is mostly a Central and South America style attack. If your windows are up and the bottle does break (they don't too often because folks use thick glass bottles) just ignore it and keep driving. It will simply burn off.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 06:57:31 AM »
Goatdog, great thread. First, and I know you were/are paid well for the work, but thank you for being there and getting the job done. If you listen to the MSM - especially regarding Blackwater - you would be forgiven for thinking that everyone in this country hates your guts. We do not. A lot of Americans recognize that freedom ain't free, and it take good people doing a lot of really crappy work in abysmal conditions to keep the BGs in check.

I love 350s too - I still have my ranch truck, looks just like the one in your photos only mine's black. And has leather . . .   ;D

James Yeager

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 07:08:54 AM »
Goatdog, great thread. First, and I know you were/are paid well for the work, but...

Yep great thread.

Please do not think I am being rude. I just want to explain something about Contracting. It pays more than flipping burgers burgers but I assure you that Contractors do not get paid for what they do. No amount of money will make a person choose such a dangerous vocation. How many folks reading this would actually travel to a foreign country where they look different than everyone around them, and the people in that country were actively trying to murder them on a daily (sometimes hourly) basis, to make a few bucks? How many would STAY after the first bomb killed a teammate?

Pay? It seems pretty pathetic when the bullets are flying by.....

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 07:43:25 AM »
Great thread guys (James and Goatdog62), Please keep adding more information and experiences. It's good to know what works and what doesn't from personal accounts and first hand knowledge.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 07:56:05 AM »
Goat and James, how were replacement parts for vehicles obtained? I know there wasnt a pep boys on every corner.

I assume you guys had some type of BOB when you went out in your vehicles in case something happened you had to abandon it. What items did you take? food, water comms, ammo?

homeshow

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 08:44:29 AM »
goatdog some of this is old hat for a few here.  but we ALL appreciate the input.  love the tub!!  that guy was a great buddy to have.  hope he made it back home too.

Copyright 1972

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 09:16:41 AM »
Goood stuff Goatdog, thanks for sharing what you know with us.  That's what makes this forum great, everyone brings something different to the table.  Not too many people here that can speak of getting shot at with such non-shelontness (sp?).  Never hesitate to share with us.

Oh yea, Toyota's Rule! +1

Goatdog62

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 10:00:20 AM »
Wow, I thought this post had died a long time ago.

Goatdog, great thread. First, and I know you were/are paid well for the work, but thank you for being there and getting the job done. If you listen to the MSM - especially regarding Blackwater - you would be forgiven for thinking that everyone in this country hates your guts. We do not. A lot of Americans recognize that freedom ain't free, and it take good people doing a lot of really crappy work in abysmal conditions to keep the BGs in check.

I love 350s too - I still have my ranch truck, looks just like the one in your photos only mine's black. And has leather . . .   ;D

Thanks Pathfinder. Blackwater had issues at times. But, for the most part, was a dedicated group of guys. Any "cowboys" were quickly corrected or sent home. When I first went overseas with them, there weren't 80 or so of us spread out over several contracts. When I left three years later in 06, there were about 1200 or more. With quantity, quality has a tendency to drop.

Yep great thread.

Pay? It seems pretty pathetic when the bullets are flying by.....

The pay was excellent. No disagreement with that. But I knew 25 personally who never got to enjoy it. You always figure that it won't be you that gets it, that it'll be the other guy, that you are destined for other things. In reality, it seems kind of random to me.

Ironically, I went over for the big money, but stayed because it felt like I was getting something done. When I was running the Ambassadors Protection Detail, I felt like part of history. In a strange twist, I now make more stateside then most contractors are getting overseas now. I left at just the right time I guess.

Goat and James, how were replacement parts for vehicles obtained? I know there wasnt a pep boys on every corner.

I assume you guys had some type of BOB when you went out in your vehicles in case something happened you had to abandon it. What items did you take? food, water comms, ammo?

Parts were shipped in by the client support contractors. They did a decent job as I recall, but you might have a truck sidelined for a couple weeks. We made a lot of "redneck repairs" though. I had plenty of experience doing field expedient repairs from my Army days. We once short-tracked an APC and got three more days of hard use out of it.

We had the BOB's from hell. They were always next to us (not stored in the back). They were loaded up with water, ammo, frags, blowout kits (first aid), signals, GPS, etc. We loaded them to be entirely independent of anything we kept in the truck. The reasoning for this was that if we left the truck, it would likely be in a frenzied hurry. There would be no time to root around in the truck and find stuff we might need. Even though we never rolled with less than two vehicles (a very smart policy) we knew that shit happens.

True story. Once were were making a short run to Camp Ridgeway (TQ) from our setup at the Rock outside Fallujah. About halfway there, in an abandoned Iraqi Army garrison, we spotted four insurgents running away from the road. We shot off road at an angle and brought the RPK to bear on them. They really had nowhere to run away to, so they stopped and we took them into custody, put sandbags over their heads and loaded them into the trucks. In an effort to see what they were up to, we found a garage door opener (the remote control), four mortar rounds, and all the stuff necessary to make an IED. Additionally, they had four motorcycles that were lying in the ditch they planned to make their getaways with. They were two-stroke Jawa's. We threw those into a couple trucks too.

We took them to the FOB. The officer there really didn't want them, even after they admitted they were setting up a roadside bomb! Reluctantly they decided to take them from us for "intel reasons."  We kept the dirt bikes.

The very next day they showed up at our tiny compound wanting to get their bikes back. Well, that didn't happen for them. They left and I'm sure it made them hate Americans even more.
The motorcycles, had we figured out how to carry them, would have made great "Bugout Bikes" to use if our trucks went down. In the long run, it was impractical to carry them with us. We did ride them recreationally around our camp.

goatdog some of this is old hat for a few here.  but we ALL appreciate the input.  love the tub!!  that guy was a great buddy to have.  hope he made it back home too.

He was in the 18th Airborne Corps, out of Bragg. We talked a lot about sharing the same stomping grounds when I was in the Eighty Deuce there.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:59:29 PM by Goatdog62 »

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 12:36:04 PM »
Goatdog62

I really appreciate this post.
Great pics.

On a side note, it is true that Blackwater and companies like them have taken heat from MSM and most notably the Left.
That doesn't bother me because I have absolutely no respect for anything they say anyway.
What has disturbed me is when libertarians and anarchists attack Blackwater. They, more than anyone, should be delighted by the success and achievements of private security forces.
Thirty years ago Murray Rothbard was writing about private security forces and privatizing conflict resolutions and very few people believed it possible.
Blackwater and the companies working in Africa and elsewhere have proved him right.
Lovers of liberty and of the free market should be shouting the praises of Blackwater every time the topic comes up!
No matter what a person may believe about a specific conflict like Iraq, you guys have shown what can be done in a free market.
I'm sure some Blackwater people made mistakes. They are human and we humans make mistakes.
But I believe that if you weigh in the balances what you guys accomplished against the odds you faced and the mistakes made, you guys stand out as champions of liberty and heroes of humanity.
My hat's off to you.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »
The very next day they showed up at our tiny compound wanting to get their bikes back. Well, that didn't happen for them. They left and I'm sure it made them hate Americans even more.

Dude! They were already trying to kill you - and I'm sure it was personal. How much more hate is a human capable of?   ;D

James, as for the pay issue - I was thanking Goatdog and anyone else who served over there, to let you know your experiences were greatly appreciated. Caerbannog said it far better than I did originally.

I agree, you have to have a better reason than just the money - as Goatdog put it wanting to make a difference. The money is nice if you make it back. My condolences on the 25+ you knew who did not make it back.

Goatdog62

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 01:56:54 PM »
Goatdog62

I really appreciate this post.
Great pics.

On a side note, it is true that Blackwater and companies like them have taken heat from MSM and most notably the Left.
That doesn't bother me because I have absolutely no respect for anything they say anyway.
What has disturbed me is when libertarians and anarchists attack Blackwater. They, more than anyone, should be delighted by the success and achievements of private security forces.
Thirty years ago Murray Rothbard was writing about private security forces and privatizing conflict resolutions and very few people believed it possible.
Blackwater and the companies working in Africa and elsewhere have proved him right.
Lovers of liberty and of the free market should be shouting the praises of Blackwater every time the topic comes up!
No matter what a person may believe about a specific conflict like Iraq, you guys have shown what can be done in a free market.
I'm sure some Blackwater people made mistakes. They are human and we humans make mistakes.
But I believe that if you weigh in the balances what you guys accomplished against the odds you faced and the mistakes made, you guys stand out as champions of liberty and heroes of humanity.
My hat's off to you.

So true. It is proof of the fundamental Libertarian viewpoint that private enterprise can accomplish what governements feebly try to accomplish today. At lower cost, with little waste, and no lingering pensions, disabilities, etc to pay for decades.

Now back to topic;

I think I am about to purchase a used Land Cruiser or 4Runner and completely modify it into my "I got 505 miles to reach my family" BOV (I know, the title needs work). I want to do it right, but it can't look like a Mad Max machine because there is some merit in not looking "prepped." Stay tuned for the complete detailed build. It will take time, mostly because I am away from home 4 - 5 weeks at a stretch.

Goatdog62

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »
Dude! They were already trying to kill you - and I'm sure it was personal. How much more hate is a human capable of?   ;D

James, as for the pay issue - I was thanking Goatdog and anyone else who served over there, to let you know your experiences were greatly appreciated. Caerbannog said it far better than I did originally.

I agree, you have to have a better reason than just the money - as Goatdog put it wanting to make a difference. The money is nice if you make it back. My condolences on the 25+ you knew who did not make it back.

No issues Pathfinder. Some days I felt overpaid, still do, no lies there. Many guys wasted their money, got even deeper in debt, bought Rolex's, other BS. I had my "blow" money, but stuck to a budget, paid off anything that wasn't, and turned the corner on my life.

James Yeager

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 02:08:40 PM »
Mercenaries kill people for money.

Contractors wouldn't kill anyone for money they wouldn't kill for free.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 02:17:26 PM »
Mercenaries kill people for money.

Contractors wouldn't kill anyone for money they wouldn't kill for free.

Jack needs to make that The Quote Of The Day!
I want it on a bumper sticker! blimp!

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 05:47:06 PM »
I think I am about to purchase a used Land Cruiser or 4Runner and completely modify it into my "I got 505 miles to reach my family" BOV (I know, the title needs work). I want to do it right, but it can't look like a Mad Max machine because there is some merit in not looking "prepped." Stay tuned for the complete detailed build. It will take time, mostly because I am away from home 4 - 5 weeks at a stretch.

There's always that old Peter Paul and Mary song "500 Miles". It is shorter (somewhat)

Definately interested in the build reports. Good luck with that.

Offline derajer

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »
First, thanks for all that did over there man. This is an awesome thread.

Second, you should call your BOV the "five-oh-five" cause that would be an awesome title, kind of like the 309.

Finally there are companies that will armor civilian vehicles as well as provide kit, see below:

http://www.customarmoring.com/
http://www.iacarmormax.com/
http://www.texasarmoring.com/
http://www.armoredsolutions.com/safe-view.asp
http://www.secintel.com/pc-459-22-bullet-proof-car-kit.aspx
http://www.ceradyne.com/products/armor/vehicle-armor-conversion.aspx

There are many more, but these are just from a few quick searches. You can do all sort of things to james bond your ride.