Author Topic: 1,000's evacuated over toxic fumes from derailed train car in Tennessee  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
5 hours ago:
A derailed train car burst into flames early Thursday, releasing toxic fumes and forcing the evacuation of 5,000 people in Tennessee, authorities said.  The train was carrying liquefied petroleum gas and acrylonitrile, a substance used to make plastics, among other things, according to the US Environmental Protection Agency.

It may take up to 48 hours until people are allowed back to their homes and businesses in the evacuated area, Blount County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Marian O’Briant said on Thursday.

Scanners:
http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/2912/web
http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/1113/web

Acrylonitrile - The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour, through the skin and by ingestion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylonitrile#Health_effects
http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0092.htm

DON'T DRINK THE WATER order in place

Cedar
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:27:49 AM by Cedar »

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
When burned like many plastics it gives off Hydrogen Cyanide, the first responders were lucky the wind didn't shift on them before they could move far enough away.

Is it me? or has there been a lot of derailed train car fires in the last 4-5 months. Seems like more than usual

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Is it me? or has there been a lot of derailed train car fires in the last 4-5 months. Seems like more than usual

There has been a fair bit of them.

Cedar

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
Reminds me to update the family BOB.  Kids grow. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
Reminds me to update the family BOB.  Kids grow.

I go through our BOB clothes every 3-4 months.

Cedar

endurance

When burned like many plastics it gives off Hydrogen Cyanide, the first responders were lucky the wind didn't shift on them before they could move far enough away.

I know that there's a lot because of the North Dakota oil fields putting a lot of strain on that rail system.  Lots of miles of rails being pushed to their limits.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
I go through our BOB clothes every 3-4 months.

Cedar

I used to do spring and fall.  More kids and that doesn't work anymore. 

Not like I can afford to have spare everything for all the kids, either.

This is one of those "can happen anywhere" things that you don't see coming.  The cleanup after a caustic spill can be shockingly expensive--cars and tools and anything metal rusts, paint and asphalt shingles melt, etc. 

And who takes care of the animals on a homestead? 

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Yet another incident which makes the tinfoil-ish practice of having gas masks on hand seem not so silly after all.

Offline joeface

• Prepper
Funny thing is I was having this discussion on Wed night with my daughter. We live not very far from a fairly active set of train tracks and our discussion started about a friend of hers who is trying to get on the list for a heart transplant at 19 years old. He has to be ready to drop everything and be at the hospital in 3 hours, then be in the hospital for weeks after. I used the conversation to to springboard into her own preparedness and being ready in case of a train derailment etc. etc. and the following day this happened.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Survivor
  • Wrong is what I do best.
There does seem to be more, but the Bakken hasn't been busy for almost six months now.  The BNSF has almost 1000 operating personnel furloughed right now from St. Paul to Seattle (the "northern lines").  All of whom were hired for the business revolving around the Bakken, which has drastically slowed down.  I think the media likes to report on them more because railroad accidents are en vogue right now.  People don't really know how railroads operate so the media has an easier time sensationalizing it all.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
It could be there have been more derailments of hazardous cargo.  There are always cleanup projects going on, but usually coal or corn. 

And media these days latches on to something and plays it to death.  Because it works. 

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
Yet another incident which makes the tinfoil-ish practice of having gas masks on hand seem not so silly after all.

Problem with train accidents is with the amounts involved, the toxic nature of the gas isn't the immediate concern, it is that it displaces all the oxygen.  No mask makes oxygen so you just end up dead with a mask on.  Short of a self contained breathing apparatus with an air tank, not much you can do.  Luckily the brain shuts down in a breath or 2 when the oxygen level is low enough, so you don't suffer.