Author Topic: tomato bisque soup recipe  (Read 224 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
tomato bisque soup recipe
« on: August 02, 2020, 07:13:56 AM »
Tomato Bisque  (this is a family favorite)

½ c. shopped onion      2 T. butter   ½ c. flour      1 tsp. dill weed
1 tsp oregano      1 tsp basil      ½ tsp white pepper      1 T. parsley
2 T. honey   2 (28 oz ) cans crushed tomatoes   1 (14.5 oz) can vegetable broth (or chicken broth or stock)
1 c. half & half   1 c. cream

In a 5 qt stockpot, melt butter. Saute onion until golden. In a small bowl mix herbs, pepper and flour. Add herb mixture to onions and stir to coat onions. Add broth and 2 c water. Puree tomatoes in blender; add to pot. Bring to boil and simmer 30 minutes. Add honey, half & half and cream. Heat thoroughly, but do not boil. Thin as needed with half & half or cream. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.

Note: This works really well with dehydrated tomatoes. I have used a combination of canned and dried tomatoes or all dehydrated tomatoes and it has worked fine. I typically take my dried tomatoes and cover with boiling water for about 15 minutes before adding to the soup. It's tough to tell you quantities, as I try to eyeball the reconstituted tomatoes to approximate the amount of tomatoes I would have had canned.

Also, I have often skipped the blender step and just used my stick blender in the soup pot at the end. Saves cleaning the blender and works fine. The quantities are for dried herbs, so use more if you have fresh.