Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Coupon savings

<< < (10/11) > >>

LvsChant:
Our local paper has pretty lame coupons (small town), but I have found huge savings on most things just by watching the sales ads each weekend. When there is a sale on anything we use, I stock up big time (at least 6 weeks' worth to last until it likely will go on discount again). Since we moved back home and I've been helping my parents do their grocery shopping, Mom says she has noticed a big drop in her cost for groceries (about half, she says). I have her pantry and freezer well-stocked and organized to rotate.

Coupons are good when they work, but the loss leaders at the local stores make a huge difference, too.

PorcupineKate:

--- Quote from: LvsChant on February 25, 2013, 08:13:09 PM ---

Coupons are good when they work, but the loss leaders at the local stores make a huge difference, too.

--- End quote ---

I love loss leader sales. The best is the few rare times I can use a coupon with it.

Curad.com currently has a printable pdf coupon for $.50 off any product.  This coupon is good till 12/31/13.  It is a great way to add to the first aid kit.  Print some out for the summer sales.
http://www.curad.com/docs/CuradOnlineCoupon_2012-2013.pdf

Downeastwaves:

--- Quote from: PorcupineKate on February 26, 2013, 09:35:17 AM ---I love loss leader sales. The best is the few rare times I can use a coupon with it.

Curad.com currently has a printable pdf coupon for $.50 off any product.  This coupon is good till 12/31/13.  It is a great way to add to the first aid kit.  Print some out for the summer sales.
http://www.curad.com/docs/CuradOnlineCoupon_2012-2013.pdf

--- End quote ---

Hi PK and thanks for the coupon link. We totally agree about the store sales. We only have 1 grocery store here on the island and there are 2 grocery and walmart (the small one until fall, it is being converted to a super store) that are about 40 minute drive (oneway)

We've been trying hard the past couple of years to stock a good pantry. We are pretty much to the point where we just shop the sales at each store--except for fresh stuff. In the summer we rely on our garden and I've been learning how to dehydrate some of the harvest.

The coupons are a fun twist! Do not often see coupons that last more than a month so this one is nice. Hopefully the Curad brand will come on sale between now and December!

DEW

Oxymoron02:
There's some pretty good guidance here, but let me toss out a few more ideas.  :D

I do use some e-coupon sites that don't come off at the register, which means you can use a paper coupon AND get the e-coupon credit.  The e-coupon money adds up over time, and when you hit the minimum disbursement ($5-10, depending on the site) you can request payment.  Some pay by paper check, some by direct deposit, some by paypal, etc.

Upromise.com  I've been a Upromise member since Oct 2001, and they rock.  In addition to grocery e-coupons, they offer cash back on your online shopping if you shop through their website.  You link your grocery & drug store cards to your Upromise, load e-coupons and shop as usual.  There's an email every time there's new coupons, you just need to go load them.  They market themself as a way to save for college, but there is no requirement to do so, you don't even need to have kids, and they'll just send you a check.  They process checks quarterly, if you ask for one, and, last I checked, the minimum amount you need to request a withdrawal is $10 (used to be $5, check the current rules before withdrawing).  Using the online shopping, with more stores offering shop online pick up in store, I've earned a couple bucks this year already just keeping my husband ordering online when he realizes he needs to run to Lowes for screws or a new bit or sandpaper or whatever.  And it saves money because he's not browsing, his needs are waiting at the front of the store for pick up.  :D

Savingstar.com  I've been doing Savingstar for almost 2 years now.  I got right on board when I saw them start their own e-coupons because Savingstar actually manages Upromise's e-coupon program, so I had faith.  The e-coupons don't come off at the register, but they add up in your Savingstar account, and once you've hit $5 you can request pay-out.  They do paypal, and I think Amazon GCs.  Just link your grocery & drug store cards on Savingstar, load e-coupons, and shop as usual.  I've been preferring Savingstar to Upromise for my grocery e-coupons because Savingstar has a smartphone app, and I can check for new e-coupons and check the e-coupon list from my smartphone (no printing a list or relying on my memory in the store).

There's also Ibotta, but you have to use a device to do Ibotta (smartphone, iPad, etc).  Savingstar and Upromise can both be done from just your computer.  I've not yet done Ibotta.  Mostly Ibotta requires you to photograph the product barcode and receipt after loading the offer.  They've recently added a few stores that you can load your store card info like Upromise and Savingstar.  Ibotta frequently wants you to watch videos, post to FB, etc to increase your e-coupon value.

I really like Savingstar and Upromise.  It's a level of security against my husband's shopping habits.  "I was out of deodorant, and it was BOGO at CVS so I bought 2."  *sigh*  I have a year's stock, and I have coupons, but at least he used the CVS card, and it was BOGO, and I had a 50 cent e-coupon on Savingstar.  Could have been worse.

Dainty:
Bump.

I was glad to find this thread. This past week I was introduced to the show Extreme Couponing and was pretty amazed by the idea of getting stuff entirely for free or even moneymakers. I couldn't help seeing all those stockpiles acquired for free or pennies and thinking this has got to be a legitimate prepping strategy.

My goals would likely be different than most people's as I'm not interested in getting stuff I don't genuinely use. But for the occasional instant stockpile of a free item it makes a lot more sense to me than the "pick up a few extra at a time while you're in the store" strategy, as I otherwise find in-store purchases a waste of time and energy.

The article MS linked to mentions clearing shelves, but I saw one episode where instead of doing so the couponer called beforehand to order a certain total of that item, which was then brought out on pallets when requested. She mentioned it was a courtesy to the store, and also to other customers hoping to score a deal on the item.

I'll be sifting through the tips in this thread, but actual couponing will probably go on the back burner for now for now, unfortunately. If this house had color ink cartridges I'd be saving several dollars on a staple food item for me via printable coupons, but alas...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version