Author Topic: Canning jar storage solutions  (Read 2805 times)

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Canning jar storage solutions
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:03:28 PM »
I need to build shelving for storing canning jars.  The ones we have in our current home are made of 2Ft wide by 4 foot long 3/4 in plywood painted.  The very quickly started to bow.  I have re-enforced them angle iron running the length.  I did not however tie the angle iron into the uprights.  We are still having issues with the shelves bowing.

I have to build shelves in out new house, hopefully, and I do not want these to bow.  I am thinking the following.
Option 1: use the same shelf design but place 1/2 in plywood dividers at the 1/3 marks.  This would shore it up and make transfer the weight to the floor.  It would consume a LOT of ply wood and take some space.

Option 2:  Re-enforce the shelves with square tubing instead of angle.  Inset this angle into the 2x4 legs so the sheer force is not just on the screws/bolts holding the square tubing onto the legs.

Option 3:  Make pockets int he 2x4s to receive a 3/4in cross member like a stretcher on a Mission style table, and lay the channel on those.  This would not directly support the center but I would think it would hold Jars of food.  I think 40 to a shelf or so was the number the wife gave me earlier.

Any one have any experience?  I am not a welder, yet, so I can not form ladders to act as the support structure under the shelves.

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Canning jar storage solutions
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:40:18 PM »
I lined 2 walls in the garage with shelves. They are 3/4 inch ply and 2x2s. They go pretty much floor to ceiling and I can climb and stand on them. Used 2x2 for the legs and the. Framed it up and put the ply on as shelves. It's also secured to the walls.

Offline strangetanks

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 11:09:20 AM »
wow...you are really over thinking this.

First of all, don't use plywood for the actual shelves.  1x12 pine would work much better for you.  Second, just put a back on the shelves, 1/4 plywood would be fine.  Throw a couple nails or staples or screws or whatever through the plywood into the back of your shelves and there ya go, all braced up.

I would also dado the sides so the ends of the shelves fit securely.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 02:46:51 PM »
StrangeTanks I am not so sure I am over thinking it at all. 

In crunching some numbers we are looking at either 45 Lbs per foot Quarts and 56Lbs for pints with 25 in deep shelves.  If we use a another idea fir the layout we had was Pints on 10in shelves at 24LBs per foot.  The quarts are on 15in shelves at 36 Lbs per foot.  For a 4 foot shelf that could be as much as 224Lbs.

Weights were used as Honey at 3Lbs to the Quart, which we figure is absolute worst case.

If you look at your house you are walking on re-enforcement at 12in on center, I think floor beams.  I know that is likely not an Apples to Apples comparison.  I am now not sure I am over thinking it, when you think of the fact that that is a dead load over time.  That is a significant moment arm over a 2 foot distance.

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2015, 03:53:40 PM »
I'd love to say we did something sexy for storage in our basement pantry, but not so much.  2x4 from floor to ceiling, screwed into ceiling joist(?) And then 2x6s for the shelves themselves.

Offline strangetanks

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 08:37:19 AM »
Well, I could be wrong.  One of the things I do for a living is custom fabrication, of furniture and cabinets and stuff.  What do I know.

I have a 10' tall by 14' wide commercial steel shelving unit I use for storing all that stuff.  Might be worth the investment to just pick something up.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 02:49:50 PM »
First of all, don't use plywood for the actual shelves.  1x12 pine would work much better for you.  Second, just put a back on the shelves, 1/4 plywood would be fine.  Throw a couple nails or staples or screws or whatever through the plywood into the back of your shelves and there ya go, all braced up.

thanks for the tip, i was considering plywood myself, but now am reconsidering it strongly.