Author Topic: diabetes during an emergency..?  (Read 6730 times)

wolfgang239

diabetes during an emergency..?
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:02:07 PM »
Living in Florida for the past 25+ years, every year i know that we run the risk on being visited by a hurricane. with that said, we (those that have experienced a hurricane), know that before the season starts we start to stock up on basic necessity's like canned food, bottled gas, and batteries.

But, some medicine can be a difficult thing to stock up on... some medicine is controlled and will only be refilled when its needed not before. and some have a limited shelf life...

A few years ago, i had a friend who was into preparedness but had type 3 diabetes

Now, with that bit of background done; here are my questions...

• what is the best way to store insulin for long term?
    can insulin be frozen to extend the shelf life?
    can insulin that has been kept cool (refrigerated) be used even after the shelf life is past?
    is there any way to simulate the insulin in an emergency?
    what if a prolonged event took place and insulin was not available? is threre an alternate way of getting or making it? any plants that help?

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
Re: diabetes during an emergency..?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:17:12 PM »
Hi Wolfgang239, I wish I could answer your questions or help in some way but I just don't know the answers. I have an illness that requires very expensive medication but am in the same boat in that I can't get it unless it is prescribed and has pre approval from my insurance. I can't stock up on it because it's wayyyy too expensive and I don't know anything about storing it or how long it would last even if I could get ahold of it. I am taking a pharmacology course next quarter in college so maybe that will help answer some of our questions.

Debo

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:51:54 PM »
What is Type III diabetes?    ???

D.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »
What is Type III diabetes?    ???
Type 3 affects brain insulin levels, it is also known as 1.5. Here's the abstract from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB): Amyloid beta oligomers induce impairment of neuronal insulin receptors and a description from the BBC.

Offline dudekrtr

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:32:47 PM »
From a TSP Pharmacist:

Insulin should be refrigerated, but will be OK out of the fridge for as much as 30 days, depending on the exact brand and type, you'll need to read the brochure that comes with it. You definitely do not want it to freeze, though.  And you don't want to use it if it's discolored.
Type 3 diabetes is really double diabetes, since the patient has type 1 but also the signs of type 2.
Full info is here: http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/ayp/questions.asp?label=1454&aypsearchstr=ins+ulin+storage&pg=1&trx=8496&trxp1=1454

It might be time to try some serious nutritional therapy, I've seen a patient come off not just insulin, but an insulin pump, with strict diet and exercise.

Read "What Your Doctor Doesn't Know About Nutritional Medicine" and "Healthy For Life"  both by Dr Ray Strand.  Those two books helped me understand more about what the stuff that you put in your body does than anything I've read in years. Because he breaks it down into what your cells do with nutrients you ingest, he clarified a lot of things for me, and I've been researching the herbal products for years. It's one thing to say "This does this" or "That's good for that", but "How?" and "Why?" Those are the answers he gives.

Another book on your reference should be: "Prescription For Nutritional Healing" by Phyllis Baltch. It's the best book you can buy on natural remedies.

Doesn't it seem like there ought to be a thread on natural remedies? That's got to be a major problem for SHTF times.

amberwolf

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 05:02:20 AM »
I grow herbs and have just started to do so in this area since last year. There are several people in my community that knows now that I'm an herbalist and they love the idea. They remember when their grandparents relied on herbs to help with disease and come to me often asking all kinds of relating questions.

In our community we have several diabetics, two women especially are now taking dialysis once or twice a week, so keeping sugar free Popsicles to sell in our ice cream freezer is a must for them. This year I am starting a batch of fenugreek, it is one very important herb that will lower blood sugar levels and helps the pancreas to regulate itself. It was used in the past for diabetes and is the one natural way of helping one control their blood sugar that I'm aware of.

http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/fenugree.html
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/f/fenugr07.html
Those two above links will give you a good amount of information on the herb.

So far I started my seeds indoors on the 15th and the very first seed to sprout was the fenugreek with 100% germination, so they are easy to sprout. We'll see how well they do this growing season all the way around.  :) 

Da Fat Kid

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 12:24:42 AM »
I have a friend who sells a line of "natural" products that are intended as nutritional supplements. There have been diabetics who have taken some of these products along with a diet program they reccommend and after some time they have been able to get off insulin. They do not make claims that this will happen but simply tell of people who have had results like this. So I would think there are possibly other options out there.

amberwolf

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:30:27 AM »
I haven't had the time to do the research on this but my son informed me of several articles talking about honey as being a "cure" for diabetes. It wouldn't hurt to do some Google searching on this and see what is being said. The great news is honey is one item that never expires- that is if it is true honey and not a syrup. If it crystalizes it can be used just like sugar.
By the way, the fenugreek is growing very well so it doesn't take a person with a green thumb to get it to grow, it seems very easy to do.

Da Fat Kid

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 10:37:30 AM »
Amberwolf  I hope you don't take offense at this. I don't know how much you know about diabetes. I don't know how honey could. I can see it working to help with LOW blood sugar. I would be very interested to learn more about this !!! I will try to search it out and if I find anything I will post it and would you PLEASE do the same.
Thanks Da Fat Kid aka Rob

amberwolf

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 11:51:50 AM »
It's a perfectly good cause to wonder about, not offensive in any way. Because of the Native American blood in my family and my mother who also had diabetes I have had alot of experience in knowing of it and enough to know that it has got to be the number one worse dis-ease the body can endure. www.honey-health.com, that is what my son just told me he had read that started his search. He clicked on honey vs sugar on the left hand column after reading what the site stated.

Da Fat Kid

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 12:01:30 PM »
Thanks Amber  I will check that out. My wife has Diabetes and it is a real struggle. We test and do insulin 4 times a day. She is unable to figure dosing due to stroke so it is all up to me.

amberwolf

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 12:52:29 PM »
So far I've been researching that site and it's many links and haven't found what my son states he saw. I told him to go through his history and tell me where he went. 

amberwolf

Offline steel

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 12:51:57 PM »
Living in Florida for the past 25+ years, every year i know that we run the risk on being visited by a hurricane. with that said, we (those that have experienced a hurricane), know that before the season starts we start to stock up on basic necessity's like canned food, bottled gas, and batteries.

But, some medicine can be a difficult thing to stock up on... some medicine is controlled and will only be refilled when its needed not before. and some have a limited shelf life...

A few years ago, i had a friend who was into preparedness but had type 3 diabetes

Now, with that bit of background done; here are my questions...

• what is the best way to store insulin for long term?
    can insulin be frozen to extend the shelf life?
    can insulin that has been kept cool (refrigerated) be used even after the shelf life is past?
    is there any way to simulate the insulin in an emergency?
    what if a prolonged event took place and insulin was not available? is threre an alternate way of getting or making it? any plants that help?

I'd like to know these answers also.  I'm not a diabetic but I have family who are.

Michael Masse

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 03:12:21 PM »
A friend of mine was diagnosed with diabetes.  She was told by her doctor that she would be needing to take meds for the rest of her life.  She asked him if there was any other way to address her condition and he told her of course eat right and exercise and you will not need this stuff.  Well she said why didn't you tell me this in the first place and the doctor told her he never does because no one wants that answer.  They want a pill.

So she lost over a hundred pounds walking and exercising and followed dietary excellence and didn't have to mess with the meds.

As a side note.  Tupelo honey out of the panhandle of Florida is the only honey that does not crystallize and can be used by diabetics.

http://www.lltupelohoney.com/ourproduct.htm

Offline student

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »
To be very simplistic and down to earth:
  • Most type 1 diabetics don't produce any of their own insulin. Without insulin injections they will die. There are no alternatives.
  • Most type 2 diabetics produce some insulin, but their cells are insensitive to it. Being overweight and sedentary contribute to this process in some. They require tablet medications to increase cell sensitivity or enhance insulin secretion. Some require insulin, however periods without insulin are less likely to cause death.

The reality is that being a diabetic in a survival scenario is very hard. Once local supplies of insulin expire/spoil/run out, type 1 diabetics will die of ketoacidosis unless they can source insulin elsewhere. Some type 2 diabetics may actually become better as they loose weight/exercise/eat better as part of the survival process. Others will die, most likely due to dehydration and hyperosmolar coma. Type 2 diabetics will need to keep well hydrated. Without medications, blood sugar levels will rise causing an osmotic diuresis (basically you urinate excessively) which contributes to dehydration and hyperosmolar coma.

Unfortunately, there is no effective plant-based/natural alternative to insulin for type 1 diabetics.

I'm not sure about the logistics of extending the life of insulin. Stockpiling is certainly the best approach for surviving a short term disaster such as a hurricane.

Some options for meeting insulin needs in a WSHTF scenario:
  • Travel the land looking for insulin stores.
  • Learn to purify insulin from pig pancreas. Back in the old days, insulin for diabetic injections was purified from the pancreas of pigs. This is a pretty involved process requiring scientific knowledge and techniques dependent on a laboratory. I'm not sure of the complete logistics, but it is something that you could look into.

In the near future, insulin dependency will become a smaller issue for type 1 diabetics if islet cell transplants become more common. Donor islet cells are injected into the liver where they produce insulin and regulate the blood sugar levels of the recipient. This is still an experimental treatment, and it does come with survival scenario limitations (including the need to take immunosuppressant medications - fortunately not requiring refrigeration), but it does circumvent the insulin issue.

Disclaimer: The above discussion is for basic information purposes only. I take no liability for injury/damage/death as a result of implementing the above information. Use at your own risk.