Author Topic: Walkthrough of my truck preps! (picture heavy)  (Read 4290 times)

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
Walkthrough of my truck preps! (picture heavy)
« on: August 28, 2015, 01:09:48 AM »
I was moving everything from my old truck to my new truck (that's actually older  ::)), and thought I'd take some pictures to give the people of TSPland a walkthrough of my fairly extensive work truck preps- and awe you with the amazing amount of stuff you can fit behind the seat without giving away that you prep!

Here we go, food:

To the left, a MOLLE pouch with a camp pot, Esbit stove, and a couple of freeze dried meal pouches, and millennium energy bars that go  To the right, a 6 day food bucket from WalMart that only cost $40.. that's less than some people spend for 6 days worth of food. I also have a matching MOLLE pouch with 3 2400 calorie ration bars, $5 a piece at WalMart.

Water:

8 liters total in water, 4 1.75 liter orange juice jugs and a 1 liter Nalgene bottle in a MOLLE pouch, along with a small cup/pot that fits perfectly around the bottle, and another Esbit stove. (This pouch and the other food pouch are part of my modular camp-hike-work truck living system, they fit on my EDC pack to fit what I'm doing. More on that later).

Clothes:

A sweatshirt, rain jacket, lots of work gloves, and orange safety vest. I'll be adding the hat/winter gloves/thermal underwear pack soon as WINTER IS COMING.

Tools tools tools!

Front left to back: 12 volt electrical repair kit with various terminals, pliers, fuses, etc. Folding pruning saw, extra sharp. Socket/bit set with ratchet and drivers. 1/2 inch breaker bar, with a socket that fits my lug nuts already attached (far superior to 4-way tire wrenches, IMO). El cheapo wrench sets from Harbor Freight. Jumper cables. 12 volt compressor with a light and built in pressure gauge. Gerber Alligator Jr. Machete (a birthday present years ago).

Supply bag:

This is where I keep things like matches, candles, hand warmers, toiletries, wick style canned heat, and hot cocoa powder and crackers and the like, a water filter (possibly the most important thing here), and ice/dust storm googles and more gloves.

How it all fits...

(not pictured is a small metal first aid kit box and a snow brush/scraper, and tool box with things like crescent wrench, vise grips, tire patch kit, hose patch tape, powdered radiator stop leak, and the like.)

I purposely took separate pictures of everything separate to demonstrate how amazing it is that everything fits back there.

And yes, the seat flips back just fine and nothing is in the way..

Preps? What preps?

Oh, you were wondering where my automotive fluids were?

They go in a crate in the back, along with all my other tools...

Any variety of shovel you need (and none you don't), pick axe, normal axe, a 6 ft level for your survival needs, come-along (hidden behind the spare tire), brick tongs (useful for carrying the bricks used to build your ZOMBIE BARRICADE), jack, and all the masonry tools needed for a back-yard scale job. Actually, all of the tools in total needed for a small job. Throw in a couple suitcases and it's everything needed to start a new life...

If you can't tell, I've been prepping since I was a teenager, and I've been in serious vehicle survival mode since a few days after I turned 18. I've had most of this stuff for a long time, through multiple past vehicles, and the tools have saved my ass at least once late at night in the frozen Minnesota wastelands.

Am I missing anything?  ;)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Re: Walkthrough of my truck preps! (picture heavy)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 01:53:07 AM »
Am I missing anything?

Yes, and I'm guilty of the same thing. All of that stuff needs to be securely housed or mounted so that it doesn't become a mass of projectiles in a crash.  :)   I keep my wrenches in roll up pouches. http://www.amazon.com/Bucket-Boss-70003-Wrench-Roll/dp/B00GK4V4FA/ref=pd_sim_469_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=191GECYQV327Z8KBX1Y2 Saves some space over the original plastic holders.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 04:38:23 AM »
You could use a tire PLUG/PATCH kit and a small compressor,a better jack,some cordage,duct tape...and fuzzy dice.
A roll of paper towels and glass cleaner would also help and spare fuses/bulbs.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 10:04:34 PM »
You could use a tire PLUG/PATCH kit and a small compressor,a better jack,some cordage,duct tape...and fuzzy dice.
A roll of paper towels and glass cleaner would also help and spare fuses/bulbs.

I have most of those... just not in the pictures. Except for bulbs- I have some random ones, but probably not the ones I need.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »
Awesome pictures +1

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »
Nice job.  It is handy to be a little shorter, my seat is all the way back and has much less room behind it. 

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 06:39:13 PM »
Awesome pictures +1

Nice job.  It is handy to be a little shorter, my seat is all the way back and has much less room behind it. 

I'm actually 6'3", but I'm comfortable with the seat plenty far forward, my truck has plenty of leg room

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 07:09:22 PM »
I am 6-1 and had to have the seat all the way back in that era ford. 

As for securing the gear, that is a whole nuther problem.  Keeping it safe, maximizing space, and not spending more than the tools or vehicle.  I use these in my big van: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T4XL4HM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Two of them fit under the back seat about perfect.  I also use ammo cans for food (keeps rodents out).