Author Topic: Hidden Truck Box for F150s  (Read 13452 times)

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Hidden Truck Box for F150s
« on: June 16, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
I designed a hidden truck box for F150's and started selling them. Chrome $225 or Black $250 shipped. PM, or email hiddentruckbox@gmail.com for details, or find more info at F150 Forums

Below is a sneak preview of my covert under the hood truck box. Most recent F150s have an empty space behind the front bumper for mounting a hidden winch. Instead of a winch, I bolted on a custom truck box . This lockable truck box does not block the radiator. It is a great place to store greasy tools, chains, tow straps, rope, jack, trailer hitch, ect.

Fits most trucks w/ 5.0 & 5.4 Engines

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Hidden Truck Box for F150s
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »
oh great idea, i'm looking for places like that on my ranger

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »
Pretty cool.  Have you checked to see what kind of heat that space is exposed to? 

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:46:50 PM »
There are other plastic fitting and things in the vicinity, so I can't image the heat being very much. I have also driven for long distances, opened the truck box, and it is cool to the touch.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »
I've forwarded this on to a relative who has a similar truck as yours.

d3nni5

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »
Yea, this is cool.

My truck is a Dodge Power Wagon.   I got a winch tucked up under the hood in that spot, but it looks like other Dodge's may have room.

I'd like to see this topic expand into "hiding spots in vehicles" in general.   I think folks could benefit from knowing what others find.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »
I am always looking for ways to store (not actually HIDE) tools in my truck without resorting to a crossover toolbox.  I need my bed to be a bed, I don't really want all my tools in the cab to smash me in the head in an accident.  I think you are on to something, especially if you can make that fit in other years/models as well.  That looks perfect to hold tow straps, air compressor, etc. 

Just keep in mind whatever is in that compartment is a goner in an accident so you probably don't want your crash kit in there.  or fire extinguisher. 

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 09:45:50 AM »
As far as hiding spots......F150s have a large cavity inside the glove box to the right. Just pull out the glove box drawer and look to the right.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »
I am always looking for ways to store (not actually HIDE) tools in my truck without resorting to a crossover toolbox.  I need my bed to be a bed, I don't really want all my tools in the cab to smash me in the head in an accident.  I think you are on to something, especially if you can make that fit in other years/models as well.  That looks perfect to hold tow straps, air compressor, etc. 

Just keep in mind whatever is in that compartment is a goner in an accident so you probably don't want your crash kit in there.  or fire extinguisher.

I could make them for  other truck models, I just need the dimensions and hole specs.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 11:17:54 PM »
Pretty sweet, put a post up for selling them in the Swap Meet section, My tundra has 2 access hatches under the back seat for access to the jack and the other one is empty. The covers are plastic with cloth cover, I traced them out on some 12 gauge steel and cut them out and then added a locking latch...they lock into a metal raised area, so it's pretty secure...I'm sure plenty of trucks have this as well...could be an easy thing to sell on Truck forums and ebay...

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 03:27:40 PM »
I put an ad for the boxes on eBay, and Craigslist. We'll see how they do.

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »
Very awesome!

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 05:30:56 PM »
Great idea. How old a model would this fit? What about F250s?
Always wondered about glove boxes and why they still make them so small. As for the name, it's not like people put gloves in there anymore.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »
The box will probably fit most of the older models, but you should use a measuring tape to check, just be sure. The dimensions are posted below:

28-3/4" L x 4-1/2" W x 12" H

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »
Just launched HiddenTruckBox.com with a new shopping cart feature.

Also check out our new youtube video.

http://youtu.be/xtUBs4ckXqQ

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 10:55:45 AM »
good job!

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »
Very creative thinking!  I have a Dodge 2500 and will check out spots for a box like this and let you know what I find.  I already have a crossover box but never can have too much storage space. 

That was a good observation about the crash loss and what items would be best suited for it.  Tow straps, chains, oil, antifreeze, grease, tie downs, tarp...lots of possibilities.  Keep my tools and emergency gear in the crossover.

I like your idea in the instructions of blue taping a bolt to the box wrench.  Wow, very clever and I am going to steal that idea for other projects around the shop for hard to reach places.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »
Just following up on my promise to check out spaces on a Dodge 2500 (2004).  Nada.  The similar space on a Dodge might be open on a gas engine truck, but on a diesel 4x4 tow pkg with the extra coolers for air and transmission all that space is taken up.  And the space does not sit as low: any box between the radiator and the bumper will block the radiator air flow.  Lot of spaces underneath alongside the frame and side panels but it would get awful dirty and not convenient at all.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 04:49:45 PM »
I found a great little shovel at Fred Meyer the other day for $12.99. It is made by Black and Decker and is 26-1/2". It fits perfectly in the box with room to spare.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »
I noticed the 2004 Dodge truck has a ton of space ahead of the rear wheel and behind the fuel filler tube, between the fender and frame, about two feet wide by 3 feet long on each side.  Not very convenient for an every day box and would get covered in mud, but might be some place to store tire chains, pioneering tools, etc.

Just as an aside, I was all hot because my newly acquired 2004 truck did not have a locking fuel cap to the 35 gal diesel tank.  But in searching around for one I saw a lot of comments about not wanting a locking cap: if it is locked they just screwdriver a hole in your fuel tank and drain it out easier than siphoning.  Better to lose fuel to a siphon than the entire gas tank to a screwdriver.  Geez!  What a world we have.

Offline Newtopian

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 06:05:23 AM »
Hey brother.
I've bookmarked your website on my browser. As soon as I can come up with the cash, or squeeze it into the budget, I'm gonna order one for my '12 FX4.
This is a friggin fantastic idea. I've been able to stuff as much recovery and tools and things under the rear seat and into a milk crate in the bed (covered by a softtopper) as possible. I want a bed toolbox, but don't want to drill into the bed (I'm limited to a chest style that doesn't overhang the rails) and also want the bed for hauling mulch, firewood, and things that a damn truck is used for.

Well done. I hope to be in touch soon.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2015, 08:19:30 AM »
I'm glad you like it. I'm happy to send you one when you are ready.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2015, 09:54:32 AM »

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
Check out Americanvan.com   they might have some thing that might fit, he doesn't have.
keeb