Author Topic: Vortex and Konus optics?  (Read 9804 times)

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Vortex and Konus optics?
« on: August 31, 2015, 06:44:33 AM »
I am looking for a budget optic for a budget AR I built. I know it's not an Aimpoint or EOTech... I know. Has anyone used a Konus or Vortex brand optic? Or another budget friendly red dot, that still is good quality?

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis

Offline skas

• Survivor
Re: Vortex and Konus optics?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:23:28 AM »
Haven't used Vortex optics on a weapon yet, but have a pair of their binos (hunting buddy has a different pair), and they're both g2g.

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »
I've got a Strikefire on an AK pistol. Runs fine. Also look at Lucid and Primary Arms. They have good products in the same price range.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:16:41 PM »
+1 for the SPARC II

It is really a great red dot!

Offline lostprepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
I like Vortex optics they are great and don't break the bank. One of my favorite things about the company is an unconditional lifetime warranty that is transferable. As long as you don't intentionally break it or lose it (stolen), they will fix or replace it.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 10:09:19 AM »
I've actually been so impressed that I've moved it from one to another seeing how it works on different rifles.

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 04:57:01 PM »
I've actually been so impressed that I've moved it from one to another seeing how it works on different rifles.

Which optic are you talking about?

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 10:54:50 PM »
The folks on snipershide liked Vortex the last time I poked around over there. Since many of those guys don't bat an eye at dropping $1,500+ on an optic, I'd say it's probably a pretty safe bet.

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 01:17:59 AM »
Which optic are you talking about?
.danimal is talking about the Vortex SPARC II

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 02:01:16 AM »
.danimal is talking about the Vortex SPARC II

thanks i saw that after i posted

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 06:50:47 PM »
I haven't used the vortex reddot, but based on the quality of their long range optics, I wouldn't hesitate to give one a try.

I am currently using a vortex viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 MOA on a 308, and a matching scope in 6-24x50 on a 338 lapua mag, and they will run toe to toe with the leupold mark 4 ER/t. I have shot a Barret m82a1 with a vortex razor hd, and ot was comparable to the Schmidt & bender the marine corp is mounting on their m40a5.

If someone told me that vortex's reddot will hold it's own against an eotech or Aimpoint, I would believe it until I could prove it wrong.

What budget are you looking at because there are some models of eotech that can be had cheap, like $300, and it is IMO, the best sight platform for a short range AR setup.

Offline StockDog

• Prepper
  • Progress to provide for my family
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 03:54:39 PM »

You will not be disappointed with the vortex prism optics in  1x or 3x. The 3x is my next purchase for my FAL. 

Also look at the Hollosun tgat looks like a T1. 

I personally shoot a Bushnel 1x4 and a Bushnel 2x12.  I find them to be tough scopes with good glass.  I hunt,compete, and have them on my go to rifles. I am not talking about the Bushnel banner series. 

My bushy 1x4 is illuminated, has a quick throw lever, and is tough.  I picked it up used for $200. 

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:08 AM »
I have an Eotech EXPS3-4, Vortex Strike Fire 2 and a Holosun 503c. All are great to varying degrees. I've been really digging the Holosun for the all around combination of price/weight/features. I'm planning on getting another for a different rifle. 

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 07:54:10 AM »
I have a Razor on an AR-10 and I love it.

Offline Davew223

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 11:58:14 PM »
I have not personally used the Vortex optics but I have competed against many that do and I can say that their mid to high end lines are quality optics.  With that said, I would look at the 1-4's at a minimum and 1-6 would be better.  Look at the leupold VX-R Patrol 1-4 for an example.  Keep in mind that an AR in .223/5.56 is a medium range weapon that also does very well in CQB in the right configurations so don't limit yourself with a 1X optic (I have an Aimpoint T-1 that has turned into a very nice paperweight).  I have put pic rails on all my rifles and now only use 2 higher end optics that I switch between them.  A 1-4 VX-R Patrol and a 5-20 SWFA SS.  This gives me top notch glass every time I shoot.  I now regret the wasting of all the money that I have put into all the other optics I have bought over the years.

Offline Davew223

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 12:04:15 AM »
Go to http://www.opticstalk.com/  this is a great forum for all things in rifle optics.

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 09:47:36 PM »
I love Vortex!!! just wanted to say that...great optics for the price....but primary arms also has some really good offerings.

Offline Davew223

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 11:10:18 PM »
Vortex is good stuff, the reticles in their scopes are a little fine for me but that is personal preference. Instead of a red dot you might look at a 1-4 with a dot.  Like the vxr patrol by leupold. My aimpoint t1 rides in the safe now.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 05:09:32 PM »
I found this after I bought it but this confirms my opinion.

http://www.recoilweb.com/vortex-sparc-ii-the-dot-that-would-not-die-67267.html

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 11:43:32 PM »
I have no experience with Konus Optics. Currently my best rifles wear:
1) Leupold
2) Shepherd
3) Vortex
4) Trijicon

there are eight other manufactures in my collection but the above are the only brands I use on my "go to" guns.

My current Vortex collection is:
 1 - Solo Rt
 1 - Strike Eagle 1-6 x 24
 1 - Sparc II
 3 - SpitFire 3x
 3 - Sparc AR
 1 - Vortex Razer HD Gen 1 5-20 (with 35mm tube... Hard to mount, otherwise great scope keeping it on my Savage 110BA)
and what is currently the finest scope I own and have used :
 1- Vortex Razor HD Gen 2,  4.5 - 27x  I chose this scope over a Nightforce and Leupold. Price performance ratio was an out-the-park home run. Its on my dream toy(.50 cal).

If I stay happy with the StrikeEagle. I will be adding 2 more to our collection (Christmas for my boys). I am getting another Sparc AR or Sparc 2 (whichever is on sale) as well. These Reddots have been fantastic, absorbing the use (abuse) of pre-teen and teen boys with zero problems!
I've been very happy with the scopes and have no plans to swap them out for anything else. I will not be buying another Solo R/T its simply to bulky for a monocular, though I have no complaints about its performance.

I have no qualms about recommending this brand and will be acquiring more of their products as I need them. My family really like the fixed 3x of the SpitFires on our AR platforms and we've had zero issues with the Vortex RedDots. Something I can't say about our EOTech products (we will not be getting anymore EOTech product). So my money and recommendation is on Vortex. For the ducats I don't think they can be beat.

Regards,
Shadowalker

Offline Corncob

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2017, 09:50:51 PM »
love the strike eagle...i saw one the other day for $235 and i almost jumped....even though my toy fund is a little low..i think i might wait though and pick up the viper instead..

Offline James1979

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 06:44:22 AM »
love Vortex. I have Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 1 6x Scope AR-BDC Reticle (MOA) SE-1624-1
This is a high end scope and it is very durable with 2 layers of glass on the reticle

Offline James1979

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 07:10:03 AM »
love Vortex. I have Vortex Optics Strike Eagle 1 6x Scope AR-BDC Reticle (MOA) SE-1624-1
This is a high end scope and it is very durable with 2 layers of glass on the reticle
:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 09:57:53 AM »
  For a red dot I've been using a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 on my TC contender in 7-30 Waters. Nice long battery life.