Author Topic: Forging tools and simple projects to start  (Read 1720 times)

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Forging tools and simple projects to start
« on: September 03, 2015, 11:05:49 AM »
My 17year old son and I are taking the first of 2 blacksmithing classes in 2 weeks at a local "educational historical community" for lack of a better term.  (Zoar village south of Canton Ohio).  I will more than likely be looking for tools after that.  Are there any recommendations as to where to look for an Anvil, hand blower and other "special" tools?  I am looking to keep my "lab" portable for a while, as we are trying to sell the current house and move to somewhere I can a permanent setup.

I am planning on building my own forge.  I will likely start with a brake drum style at least for the first one.  I think I want to stay away from electric for a first pass I have seen versions with shop vacs or leaf blowers.  I would like to save that for an upgrade.  Although a used electric may be easier to come by than a hand cranked blower.

I have been looking at projects on the Net and see a lot of repurposed things into hooks that could be fun to start with.  I am then planning on moving to hooks, hangers and camp fire systems.  The goal is to be making Knives and tools in a year or so.  How does that sound as a plan?  Am I being too aggressive for a part time self-passed learning experience?

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
Re: Forging tools and simple projects to start
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 04:36:07 PM »

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »
Well my son and I had a great time on Saturday.  We made 2 differnat hooks using simular processes.  We are looking forward to the next class with more projects.  I can see an anvil and forge, like the one bradleypaul75 spotted above on Craigs list.  I may go to look at it, but I need to get my house sold first.

I put up 10 or so pictures yesterday.  I will not be able to check the link until I get home do to an IE issue on my work computer.  I will say sorry now if it does not work.
https://www.flickr.com/browser/upgrade/?continue=/photos/jimisod/

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »
Good luck. I've built my smithy from scrape finds mostly, plus I made whatever tools I missed. Bought a new 80kg anvil back then though.