Author Topic: Fear the Walking Dead  (Read 17345 times)

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Fear the Walking Dead
« on: September 16, 2015, 06:53:13 AM »
Has anyone been watching this? If so thoughts on the reality of this show as it pertains to a SHTF scenario?

osubuckeye4

Re: Fear the Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:05:49 AM »
I've been watching, have been very disappointed.

The lack of characters using available technology has been infuriating. There is a 17 year old girl as a main character, and she has not once attempted to use social media... even after witnessing her boyfriend dying in front of her? I don't buy it at all.

The amount of plot conveniences that occur in every episode is absurd, even by Hollywood standards. Pretty much everything that happens requires characters to behave in incredibly unrealistic ways, in order to further the next big "payoff" scene. I understand that every show needs to have some of that, to get from A to Z... but this show requires it to get from minute 5 to minute 12, it's ridiculous.

Even the characters reactions in the way they deal with the zombies has been ridiculous. One of the characters bashed her zombified boss' head in with a fire extinguisher, and showed just about zero emotion after it was over. Carried on like it was business as usual.

It has all been rather absurd and disappointing. I was hoping for more of a drama that developed the characters before putting them in SHTFland. Instead, we are getting TWD 2.0, with even more questions and less answers that the original show... which was allowed to bypass answering those questions by fast forwarding about 6-10 weeks into the apocalypse.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:38:29 AM »
My wife and I are watching it. Starting out slow and it really hasn't addressed how people get sick.

Online David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 09:46:57 AM »
I've been watching, have been very disappointed.

The lack of characters using available technology has been infuriating. There is a 17 year old girl as a main character, and she has not once attempted to use social media... even after witnessing her boyfriend dying in front of her? I don't buy it at all.

The amount of plot conveniences that occur in every episode is absurd, even by Hollywood standards. Pretty much everything that happens requires characters to behave in incredibly unrealistic ways, in order to further the next big "payoff" scene. I understand that every show needs to have some of that, to get from A to Z... but this show requires it to get from minute 5 to minute 12, it's ridiculous.

Even the characters reactions in the way they deal with the zombies has been ridiculous. One of the characters bashed her zombified boss' head in with a fire extinguisher, and showed just about zero emotion after it was over. Carried on like it was business as usual.

It has all been rather absurd and disappointing. I was hoping for more of a drama that developed the characters before putting them in SHTFland. Instead, we are getting TWD 2.0, with even more questions and less answers that the original show... which was allowed to bypass answering those questions by fast forwarding about 6-10 weeks into the apocalypse.

Word for word. Very disappointed. It's painful to watch a motley crew get pulled together predictably. Both the Mrs. and I loved when an over under shotgun got "pumped" though.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
My wife and I are watching it. Starting out slow and it really hasn't addressed how people get sick.

The creator of the material that the show is based on has stated that he has no plans of ever trying to explain the origin of how everyone got "sick/infected".

I'm actually okay with that, I can shut my brain off and roll with it as an unexplained phenomenon that everyone has to deal with.

What I have trouble dealing with, is the lazy writing.

It's not that characters are doing things that I wouldn't do. It's that they are behaving in completely inhuman ways. Showing no empathy/emotion after killing your boss? Going through an elaborate maze to get to your husband, whose life is in danger... when you can just go out the front door of the home and run around the side of the building and get to him much faster? Not attempting to turn on the TV or use social media to get to the bottom of what is going on (when you have a character who is a 17 year old girl, and has demonstrated that she has a smartphone).  Killing 3 people, and not bothering to even reach out to any of your friends to find out if things are completely turned upside down in their world as well?

I just can't buy any of it. I spend more time rolling my eyes than I do enjoying the show.

I heard the first season is only 6 episodes, I'll stick with it till then. If they keep moving along the way they have, I'll not bother to watch season 2.

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »
I've fallen asleep in the middle of both episodes 2 and 3. It seems very slow to me. I'll forgive it the slowness for a time.

I agree with the writing criticism. I'm completely dissatisfied. Being a Walking Dead fan, I will finish watching it's last three episodes until the big daddy, season 6 kicks off. I may just not watch this during its air time anymore. The Strain is much more interesting.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 06:13:00 AM »
It's been disappointing so far. To me the most ridiculous moments were the pickup truck being completely untouched in the middle of a massive riot and people still putting out their trash as zombies are eating their neighbors. Talk about normalcy bias on steroids. The funniest moment came when the boyfriend professed that he has a problem with using guns. You know that's going to come back and bite him!!  :o

d3nni5

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 12:21:15 PM »

I'm actually diggin' it.   I a fan of Kim Dicken's and think she brings a lot to the show.  I don't want to examine it too close and lose sight of the show for the "little things".

I like the parallel of the son (Nick?) going through withdrawal as compared to Rick coming out of the coma in the original series.   He's fighting the physical withdrawals from heroin, the physical bruises from being hit by a car....all the while, right on the edge mentally.   He is aware and realizes that he very well may be going insane, because he has seen things that no one else has yet.   Things that everyone eventually is going to understand, but at least for now he is one of the few who "knows" something isn't right.   But no one believes him or gives him the credit because he is a junkie.   It has him questioning himself.  "Did I see what I saw, or am I really going insane".   Nice twist in the story I think.

Wild Colonial Boy

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 05:16:15 AM »
2 episodes in and I'm a fan. Yes the pacing is different to TWD but I think its capturing the slow unwinding of society in a realistic fashion.  Especially as people aren't recognising the signs of the walkers on social media or in front of their eyes (the walkers are a little too fresh perhaps); people aren't prepared for basic calamities; and the govt (and Law and order) is informing the people (containment) .... Interesting that in E2 the Police were loading up their Patrol Car with water and attempting to limit video prior to the riot.

Pacing will pick up for sure as SHTF on a wider scale.

No sure about the bug out plan to the desert suggested by the family but least they suggested "a" course of action rather than throw a kids birthday.  If only they would deadbolt the door I'd feel a little more at ease.

Offline gopack84

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 07:58:25 AM »
I'm watching too. I'm conflicted on how good a show it actually is, but I'm a fan of the genre so I'm sticking around to see how it goes.

The normalcy bias is strong in this one. I mean, for some people that haven't actually seen anything first hand, putting out the trash might be a "normal" thing to do. That riot that spanned episodes 2 and 3 covered only one night. So if you weren't watching news or if the news is really only showing the riots and not the "undead not dying after being shot" stuff, you might be inclined to believe "Oh there was a big riot in downtown LA last night. I'm glad I live out here and it's unreal they had to bring in the National Guard to control it but it's about damn time!"

But for the main characters, who have seen the weird stuff go down and yet seem to still be completely disconnected, I don't get it. I mean, your answer to seeing your neighbor being attacked by her own husband is to tell your presumably super smart 17 year old daughter to close the blinds and let's go play Monopoly??? Really? After you bashed your undead (ex??)-boss' head in with a fire extinguisher? I told a friend of mine she must never have watched GI Joe cartoons as a kid or else she'd be thinking, "And now you know. And knowing is half the battle!" <sparkly winky eye>. This not trying to get news from places scenario I find a bit absurd but maybe it's just a writer's choice to gloss over because people watching TV on TV is boring TV.

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 03:19:46 AM »
Painfully stupid characters.  I actually wish they would all die so we could start following a family of survivors that are not completely devoid of basic human intelligence and skills.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 07:17:02 PM »
I was thinking the same (as in I wish they would all die), but I think the writers want you to yell at the tv. Gets you engaged.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 07:15:18 AM »
I thought is was funny the rioters and police are fighting it out not realizing the zombies are actually the problemo.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 09:26:37 AM »
     I was initially frustrated with the cluelessness of the characters, but then I realized that they are still probably more aware than most people would be. I think that the writers are purposely starting off with "average" folks, who through some stroke of luck squeak through the events that have wiped out others. They each have way more weaknesses than strengths, but this will allow them to learn and "toughen up" as the plot progresses (or die). Yes, they are now rather two dimensional, but as they gain experience, I think they will become more fully developed characters, in many ways.
     The plot does seem slow, but I think part of that is that the original Walking dead had characters that passed through the "learning phase" more quickly, allowing for more action. In many ways, this show may be the more realistic portrayal of ignorance and denial on the part of humanity, given a major disaster event where no one seems to have a clue as to what's happening or how to react. The families decision to head for the desert is a natural reaction to flee a place of known danger for some place of supposed safety.
     Yes, it seems improbable that they have had such good luck in escaping death so far, but probably thousands or tens of thousand probably have not. This plot is merely following one incredible, small lucky group (because if they had succumbed to the odds and died near the beginning there would be no show).

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
I'm enjoying the show so far.  I'm liking the slow unfolding of events and most of the characters resistance to the reality.  Normalcy bias in full-swing. 

There have been a few moments of not-so-great tv.  Going to a drug den on skid row (with no weapons) and then bringing your fiancee back to see it too.  Going through a crazy garden maze to get the neighbor's shotgun when you could just go out front.  Almost no reaction to the zombified neighbor killing and eating your dog.

I really like the Nick Salazar character.  I think the Madison character is going to end up being very hard core.  She's has the capacity to toughen up quick.  I'm wondering about her dead husband and her son's heroin addiction.  I'll bet they are related.  Did she have something to do with his death - maybe because of something he did or was doing to the son?

The previews for this week look like there is going to be an EROL scenerio coming.  That should liven things up pretty quick.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 08:37:08 AM »
I really disliked the way that episode 4 jumped 7 days ahead.

I'm going to cut my losses and stop watching, because I'm only becoming more and more disappointed with each passing week.

I tuned in initially for two reasons:

1) To actually watch characters develop BEFORE the zombies appear (which is what TWD was missing)

2) To see how everything completely went to hell in the initial days (which we got a small glimpse of, than a *7 days later* flash forward)

This is basically TWD 2.0, which is disappointing because it was billed as a completely different type of show.

This is my last post in the thread. I hope for anyone who continues to watch that the quality of the writing and character development picks up.

Offline gopack84

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
Yeah, I'll probably stick it out through the 2 more episodes of season one. Then we'll see. Part of the problem is they really don't have a lot to work with in terms of time. If you go back to TWD, there was the initial episode where Rick was shot at the traffic stop. Then he wakes up from a coma to the full blown apocalypse having already gone down. Based on his beard growth and him surviving with no power, no fluids via IV, and whatnot, you're only talking a few days at most. So you figure if he was out a few days before it all went to crap and woke up 2 or 3 days later, that's only two or three weeks.

The Walking Dead wiki puts the time of Shane's last visit to the hospital at about 14 days give or take, and the military was already walking the halls, shooting everyone. Shane barely got out alive after hiding.

I am hoping maybe they switch gears after losing containment in the neighborhood that the military is trying to control right now and make it to some place, like a CDC lab, or someplace where the story can be a little different than TWD but I'm not holding out much hope. I agree though, if they don't do something different I see no reason to watch TWD The Wild, Wild West version.

Offline strensk

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 07:59:28 AM »
As a fan of TWD, I of course watched this. My observations so far:

1. Normalcy bias is rampant in everyone, except for those who have seen some kind of darkness Maddie (Kim Dickens), Daniel Salazar (Reuben Blades), and Nick (the junkie). They all seem to have a compartmentalized the things they have seen, accepted them to an extent, and are dealing. The rest, Travis, Chris, Maddie's daughter, are all so infected with normalcy bias that by the time they realize how bad this is, it will be too late.

2. They did a decent job of capturing riots I think. The chaos. A cop getting eaten in the street there, and no one noticed, or realized what was going on despite having seen it.

3. The government/military isn't making anything better, and they certainly aren't doing anyone any real good. They are doing their best to maintain the normalcy bias. Which makes the civvies easier to control.

4. No one is really planning or prepping at all for things going south even worse. An intermittent grid, no outside communications, they are being deliberately kept in the dark. No one has a go bag ready, no one has been out getting spare gas, storing water (the pool would be smart to use), no food stockpiled, no quarantined houses raided (except by the junkie for a fix).

5. Travis is the perfect American. As soon as the government shows up he "knows" things will get better. He doesn't really question, and is more concerned with jogging than anything else. Yeah, I would go for a run, but I would use it as a way to scout locations for possible resources to exploit, and potential escape routes. Did they learn nothing from Katrina? An entire city laid to waste by a storm, this pandemic is hitting the entire country, and they are more concerned with stupid trash.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 09:22:18 AM »
1. Normalcy bias is rampant in everyone, except for those who have seen some kind of darkness Maddie (Kim Dickens), Daniel Salazar (Reuben Blades), and Nick (the junkie). They all seem to have a compartmentalized the things they have seen, accepted them to an extent, and are dealing. The rest, Travis, Chris, Maddie's daughter, are all so infected with normalcy bias that by the time they realize how bad this is, it will be too late.
Things will go from bad to worse once the citizens of the ghetto realize the military is cleansing uninfected people in the neighborhoods beyond the fence. I expect 3/4 of those who went to the military "hospital" to return once things get really bad. Another possibility is the military starts cleansing inside the ghetto, the people revolt and the main characters bust out and attempt to rescue the others.

3. The government/military isn't making anything better, and they certainly aren't doing anyone any real good. They are doing their best to maintain the normalcy bias. Which makes the civvies easier to control.
See my response to #1

4. No one is really planning or prepping at all for things going south even worse. An intermittent grid, no outside communications, they are being deliberately kept in the dark. No one has a go bag ready, no one has been out getting spare gas, storing water (the pool would be smart to use), no food stockpiled, no quarantined houses raided (except by the junkie for a fix).
Maddie did grab the dead guys gun when scouting outside the wire. I wouldn't be shocked if they scrounge for supplies in the houses outside the wire once all hell breaks loose.

5. Travis is the perfect American. As soon as the government shows up he "knows" things will get better. He doesn't really question, and is more concerned with jogging than anything else. Yeah, I would go for a run, but I would use it as a way to scout locations for possible resources to exploit, and potential escape routes. Did they learn nothing from Katrina? An entire city laid to waste by a storm, this pandemic is hitting the entire country, and they are more concerned with stupid trash.
He's the typical progressive statist who thinks guns are evil and the government will save him. His world will be completely shattered once the SHTF inside the ghetto. You'd think he would be more awake after seeing the zombies close up on more than one occasion. Sometimes you can't fix stupid. 

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 10:35:05 AM »
He's the typical progressive statist who thinks guns are evil and the government will save him. His world will be completely shattered once the SHTF inside the ghetto. You'd think he would be more awake after seeing the zombies close up on more than one occasion. Sometimes you can't fix stupid.

I can't f#$%ing stand him. I will probably throw a party when Kim gets to put one through his skull because he got bit trying to hug a zombie.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
I can't f#$%ing stand him. I will probably throw a party when Kim gets to put one through his skull because he got bit trying to hug a zombie.

This^^^^^^

Maybe the producers are trying setting him up to be the voice of "reason" and "humanity" like Dale was in the original TWD.  But at least Dale didn't have a problem with guns.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 07:25:36 PM »
I haven't heard anyone give any commentary on the finale.  Or did everyone give up on it?

I watched.  Finally some "vintage" TWD.  Herds of Walkers, death of a main character, torture of another for information, tantalizing cliffhanger (possible escape).  I'll be back next year. :zombie:

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 05:17:47 AM »
I watched the finale and it was the best episode of the season. I will say Travis went light-years in redeeming himself in my eyes. I'm actually interested in the boat-oriented survival plan in part because that's what I would do.

On the other hand…

SEASON SIX PREMIER TONIGHT!!! WOOHOO!!!

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 11:47:37 AM »
This show returns April 10th just as the original finishes it's 6th season. 

Offline ashleyjo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • **NEWBIE**
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 12:09:15 PM »
Well if you're as tired of zombies as we are, try Hannibal the series ....  Mads Mikkelsen is fantastic 8)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »
     What a shock it will be to find out that since zombies are dead to begin with, they can't drown. Where are those hungry sharks when you need them? This plot twist was in some other zombie themed movie a while back. Even The Walking Dead seems to be down playing the impact of danger from zombies and focusing on the danger from rogue humans, which I think is good. These shuffling meat puppets move way too slow and are too easy to kill. What we really need is zombie-vampires or vampire-zombies to spice things up; just think of the possibilities, especially if they came from outer space.

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 06:39:29 AM »
     What a shock it will be to find out that since zombies are dead to begin with, they can't drown. Where are those hungry sharks when you need them? This plot twist was in some other zombie themed movie a while back. Even The Walking Dead seems to be down playing the impact of danger from zombies and focusing on the danger from rogue humans, which I think is good. These shuffling meat puppets move way too slow and are too easy to kill. What we really need is zombie-vampires or vampire-zombies to spice things up; just think of the possibilities, especially if they came from outer space.

If you like to read, I think you'll find this author and series will satiate those proclivities: Zombie Fallout

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 06:50:07 AM »
This new season is getting ridiculous! The characters are getting more unlikable and the plot more unbearable. With The Walking Dead the plot was at least believable in the context of a zombie show. Fear The Walking Dead is the opposite. The things the people do are so unbelievably stupid that it makes it hard to watch. It's like it is created by a completely different group of writers.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 05:59:13 AM »
     Ditto, Black Shirt. I'm about done with this show. It's like a poorly dressed person not looking in the mirror before going out. Don't these writers bother to preview the show before they air it? What are they thinking?

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 07:14:59 AM »
This new season is getting ridiculous! The characters are getting more unlikable and the plot more unbearable. With The Walking Dead the plot was at least believable in the context of a zombie show. Fear The Walking Dead is the opposite. The things the people do are so unbelievably stupid that it makes it hard to watch. It's like it is created by a completely different group of writers.

I have to agree. I don't see me spending more of my time watching this show. I'll record it and see if I want to catch up on it later. Maybe in the winter, but now I'd rather read about gardening or play with my animals or stare at the sky.

Fear the Walking Dead - Y'all blew it.