Author Topic: Whisper close toilet seats  (Read 7181 times)

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Whisper close toilet seats
« on: September 22, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »
OK, before anything I am a jerk. I like my toilets CLOSED. Not the "seat down" women prefer but totally shut. It just looks better and abides my OCD. My wife has adapted to this and closes the lid and has found she prefers it as well.

Recently I was chatting with a plumber and he suggested "whisper close" or "quiet close" toilet seats. I bought one. For ~$30 you get a toilet seat that can't be slammed shut. It can be bumped and the resistance literally slows it down to a silent close. No longer will the toilet seat slip my hand at 4am. This is unbelievably great as a dropped toilet seat can wake a sleeping baby (ask me how I know). Now I merely throw the seat down and let the contraption work.

I know toilet seats aren't the greatest survival need but a quiet close seat and lid will make life better. After 2 months of one in our downstairs bathroom I put one in our upstairs bathroom. Consider this product if you want a quieter toilet.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Whisper close toilet seats
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 02:31:47 PM »
Is there a suppression devise for the noise I make while I am seated?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »
I own three of these.  When the kids were small, it was life changing.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »
Recently I was chatting with a plumber and he suggested "whisper close" or "quiet close" toilet seats. I bought one. For ~$30 you get a toilet seat that can't be slammed shut. It can be bumped and the resistance literally slows it down to a silent close. No longer will the toilet seat slip my hand at 4am. This is unbelievably great as a dropped toilet seat can wake a sleeping baby (ask me how I know). Now I merely throw the seat down and let the contraption work.

one problem... when you go someplace w/o one, you start the lid forward and release your hand and it falls down with  a large bang!

Offline Beetlebum

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 03:28:24 PM »
OK, before anything I am a jerk. I like my toilets CLOSED. Not the "seat down" women prefer but totally shut.

And keeps poorly stacked toiletries from a muck bath.... too...many...times :facepalm:

thanks for the review

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 03:44:08 PM »
Why can't the women just do a condition check before they commit to sitting?

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 04:10:47 PM »
Why can't the women just do a condition check before they commit to sitting?

I insist on the seat AND lid being down at my house.  But not for aesthetic reasons.  Mine is a safety issue.  Children under the age of 3 have drowned in toilets.  Not a lot but some have.  It is such a quick thing.  - putting both down when you are done.  You close the front door when you come in the house and make sure it is latched when you have small children so they won't wander outside when your back is turned. 

I don't have any little ones at home anymore but it's a good habit.  I've had visitors with small children in my home.  Someday I hope to have grandkids (Are you listening God?  I'm waiting patiently) and I want to continue that good habit so they are safe when they come over (often I hope!)

It also keeps the pets out of the toilet.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 07:07:19 PM »
Is there a suppression devise for the noise I make while I am seated?
:spit:

Seriously though, I need these as I too am a closed toilet seat evangelist (seat-vangelist?).

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 08:15:26 PM »
:spit:

Seriously though, I need these as I too am a closed toilet seat evangelist (seat-vangelist?).

A new word for the next edition of the Merriam-Webster dictionary? ;)

endurance

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 08:34:51 AM »
one problem... when you go someplace w/o one, you start the lid forward and release your hand and it falls down with  a large bang!
I have that problem with my kitchen cupboards. We went with the cheapest ones we could buy because, well, we're cheap. The ones around the refrigerator didn't come in the size we wanted so we had to get the nicer model with the same finish to get the size we wanted. The nicer cabinets have the soft close feature, which we've grown to love. The problem is no we slam all the other cabinets without thinking because we've grown accustomed to letting them close on their own.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 09:45:30 AM »
I have that problem with my kitchen cupboards. We went with the cheapest ones we could buy because, well, we're cheap. The ones around the refrigerator didn't come in the size we wanted so we had to get the nicer model with the same finish to get the size we wanted. The nicer cabinets have the soft close feature, which we've grown to love. The problem is no we slam all the other cabinets without thinking because we've grown accustomed to letting them close on their own.

It's funny how I can tell who the parents are.  When you have a household of kids that are constantly making noise it's worth the investment in various noise dampening technology. e.g. amortize the cost of premium soft close cabinets over the 18 years kids live at home - it's a BARGAIN

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 09:54:18 AM »
I'm amazed at how my tastes change as I get more mature. I used to crave elegant and ornate furnishings but now only consider how durable and easy to clean they are.

endurance

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 03:10:55 PM »
It's funny how I can tell who the parents are.  When you have a household of kids that are constantly making noise it's worth the investment in various noise dampening technology. e.g. amortize the cost of premium soft close cabinets over the 18 years kids live at home - it's a BARGAIN
Our kids sleep through the night, except during thunderstorms, but both of them will jump on the bed at 6am every morning, whether it's a work day or not, and stick their wet noses in our ears.   ;D

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 04:15:44 PM »
I finally got my (human) kids mobile phones so they could google for themselves.  I got burned out explaining how the laws of physics were broken in comic books or science fiction films.  GOOGLE IT

As long as I take them on daily walks, my canine kids are more agreeable, though I still can't trust them not to eat a meal I leave unattended.