Author Topic: Jujube ideas wanted  (Read 3807 times)

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Jujube ideas wanted
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
I am looking to plant fruit and nut trees to naturalize in southern New Mexico at 6100 ft elevation zone 7 with about 12" of rain per year. Jujube might work but I know very little about them or the best / hardiest varieties. Any ideas?  Thanks!

Offline Chris Gilliam

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Jujube ideas wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 05:39:37 PM »
We get 59 inches of rain per year and mine won't grow, so I'm no expert on them yet myself. I will offer one piece of advice, buy some seeds and raise a few cheap ones, see how they do before you buy named cultivars. I wouldn't count on much, 12 inches of rain per year is pretty darn dry. JMHO.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 05:57:37 PM »
It is not as dry as where I just moved from!  We only got 8" there. I am in mixed grass/live oak/pinion pine/juniper country. We are just getting a lot of acorns and juniper berries as feed for our horses and goats inbetween bites of grass.
The seed idea is good, does anyone know a source?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 08:45:07 PM »
The seed idea is good, does anyone know a source?

http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/Supplement%20M-Z.htm -- bottom of the page, under Zizyphus Jujuba var. spinosa

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »
Thank you Mr. Bill.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:46:27 PM »
Jujubes are very drought-tolerant once established.  The first year or two, they're probably going to need some irrigation if you only get 12 inches of rain.  Even after that, if you want a good harvest, you'll probably need to give some supplemental water in the driest part of the summer, when the fruit is developing. 

One thing to be aware of is that the roots will sucker pretty aggressively.  I find them popping up ten feet away from my oldest tree (three years in the ground, planted as a bare-root).  The rootstocks of grafted trees or trees grown from seed are usually very thorny.  Jujubes grown from seed and those propagated from rootstock will most likely have near-useless fruit that is tiny and almost all pit.  I have six named variety trees (and a few of the rootstock suckers I've dug up with the idea to try my hand at grafting) and they're all pretty rugged plants.  The only pests that seem at all interested in them are grasshoppers, who will munch on the new growth in spring. 

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 08:42:23 AM »
Any new ideas, anyone???

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »
Found a seed source too late to get mine started.
Found some great articles googling "growing jujube San Francisco" and reading the sfgate links.
FWIW, we're@ 6000' zone 5a w/18" precip and had Goji berry plants THRIVE in sunken beds using pea-gravel as "mulch" so that every drop of water has a chance of finding soil before it evaporates.
Watered them to get them established but even before getting established they were doing better than anything else.
Also found out that Hairy Vetch seems OK as a sun-loving leguminous ground cover in my alkali, clay-heavy soil.  Thrived without watering in 2014; did well in areas that I watered this year.  Seems to attract a lot of different pollinators too.
Hope this helps - good luck w/your jujubes!

Offline Tex4k

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 09:52:14 PM »
The ones I've dealt with have all been very old varieties, have never seen any come up from seed but they will sucker up from roots like crazy. Haven't had the problem with the trees grown from suckers not producing good fruit though. Many of the jujube trees that I'm familiar with are getting close to 100 years old, those years have included some very harsh West Texas climate.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »
Thanks. I am going to give it a try with 2 or 3 varieties this spring. I am still pondering which ones.

Offline V8vega

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »
I've been growing Jujubes in the AZ. high desert (4,300') for a few years. They grow with next to no watering after the first year. The only issue I have is the Leaf Cutters. I'm not sure how to post pics, or I would post one.
I have "LI" & GA-866.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 03:48:12 PM »
Those are two of the three that I was thinking about.  The other was the Sherwood.  Thanks.

Offline V8vega

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 06:34:46 PM »
I had a Sherwood & it was the only one that died. It never really seemed happy.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 06:38:57 AM »
Thank you for the negative feedback.  Sometimes know what doesn't work is as important as what does.  What is your soil like?  Ours is pretty clayey with lots of cobbles mixed in.

Offline V8vega

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 06:35:32 PM »
Soil is alluvial. I've heard Sherwood's like more humidity, but who knows? It put out good tasting fruit. I'm going to try another.

Just a FYI: I've tried Jujubes on the "Thorny" rootstock & on Indian rootstock. The latter grows faster & tougher for me.

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 09:01:40 AM »
Any updates?  I'll be planting some jujube on the Easter CO prairie shortly.  At this point my plan is to use it as the fruit producing tree in a guild of jujube, honeylocust, cottonwood, goji, jerusalem artichokes, and various grasses/clovers/legumes.  Thoughts?