Author Topic: Propane generator benefits  (Read 4080 times)

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
Propane generator benefits
« on: October 11, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »
I just wanted to share a realization I had on owning a  propane or propane/gas generator:

I bought a Duromax 4400EH (Propane/gas) a while ago.  I don't use it much but make sure to test it every so often.  In the past I would fill it up with just enough gas to get it going and test it.  Then I would have to drain the extra fuel when done because having it sit in the lines isn't good if you want it to be reliable. Typically I'd use the hose and primer bulb method from Steven Harris to pump it back into the gas can, lawn mower, snow blower, etc.  Then run out the remaining.

I went to test it yesterday and thought, Why the hell mess with filling and draining gas when I can just hook up my propane tank.  I felt like an idiot not thinking of it sooner.  It made the test process a lot less cumbersome.  And I don't have to worry about fuel left in the lines.

Other benefits:
-Propane takes up a lot less space when storing 20 gallons
-It lasts longer

Regarding the battery for the key ignition:
-Disconnect the terminals when not using it for longs periods of time. (More than a week?)
I've left mine connected and every time I test, the battery is dead.  I may need a new one but the lesson is learned.
-Why get a gas only generator at all?
The price seems to be a difference of 55 dollars
Gas only:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BMDFPS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687702&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00130GGRM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0F2JK963FFY186E1PVDQ
Duel Fuel:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009RBKGZC?keywords=xp4400EH&qid=1444575889&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I was kind of eager to get this one because it was on sale when I got it.  $500 vs $650.  And Now I see it's on sale for $465.  I think I would spring for a 10,000 or more when ever I have to replace this one.  And I'd definitely look at getting a Honda or Yamaha.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
Re: Propane generator benefits
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:20:58 AM »
I completely agree.  I may even go with one which is rated to handle Natural Gas as well (just a richer mix I think).  A buddy of mine just buried a 500 gallon tank of propane to run his generator.  I think they even sell 1000 gallon tanks for home/farm use.  They can also connect them together for more backup. 

My next generator will be dual/tri-fuel and my next house will have a buried tank or two.

Here is a conversion kit on Amazon.  I am not endorsing it, just showing what is available.

http://www.amazon.com/Propane-Natural-Conversion-Generators--Worlds/dp/B00M8HHOES/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1444738756&sr=8-10&keywords=tri-fuel+generator

Thanks for the info.

Jerseyboy.

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 07:58:33 AM »
I haven't seen many that do all 3 fuels right out of the box but they are out there.  And I think you are correct on the richer mix with Natural gas.  I read somewhere that it doesn't produce the same power as gas or propane.

And those add-on kits void the manufacturer warranty, so you may want to wait before adding it.

Side Note; Acme tools has some of the best selection in store that I've seen on quality units. (Home depot doesn't even carry them in the store...)
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/locations

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 01:34:08 PM »
Old thread, but I happened across it while looking for something else so....

Propane and/or natural gas are cleaner and engines will last longer when run on them versus gasoline. The downside is that neither of the gaseous fuels contain the same amount of energy as gasoline. An engine designed to run on gasoline will not produce as much horsepower when run on propane/NG, meaning that a generator will not produce as much power output. IIRC, you need to lower the output rating by 20-30% when switching to gaseous fuels.

Offline borderbill

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 04:56:43 PM »
I'm way  late on this but wanted to opine on propane gensets.  They are the way to go.  Have had excellent fortune w/Champion brand.  Service is fine w/ great bulletins on their website.  Got a small gen (forget the size, am too slothful to go check in the 105 southern Ariz heat)for about $300 w/a 3 year guarantee a year ago.  Have to repeat-their service dept. is helpful in the extreme. Amazon.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 07:34:47 PM »
I'll chime in on it.  I don't want to store gasoline, so I bought a 7000 watt propane generator to run most of the stuff in the house.  It doesn't run the furnace/air conditioner, but handles everything else.  It is a great generator.

But what I have learned is I paid a premium buying a propane generator.  What I should have done is bought a quality generator and converted it to propane.  I realize that I would not be getting the same wattage as with gasoline, but the difference in cost between a propane and a gasoline generator would have more than made up for the cost difference. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 01:03:09 PM »
I've often thought of converting our gen to LP.
We have these big tanks here already.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 09:22:18 AM »
The nice thing about propane is I can get propane when the power is out. I might not be able to buy gas if they can't run the pumps. Though I might have to pay in cash.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Veteran
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 10:31:43 AM »
The nice thing about propane is I can get propane when the power is out. I might not be able to buy gas if they can't run the pumps. Though I might have to pay in cash.

Yes