Author Topic: Anyone tried making a grain mill?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Anyone tried making a grain mill?
« on: October 25, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »
There are some newly made stone mills on the market, but since they are mainly aimed for the healthy food nuts, they are usually expensive. I was wondering if anyone either knows of something that can be utilized/remade into a little home mill, or - best - if anyone knows the tricks needed to chisel the milling wheels out of stone. I mean, it can't be that difficult, they made these in the 9th century already, with nothing but chisel and hammer. I can imagine attaching the chisel to a piece of string, tied at the center of the future wheel, to keep it round. Not sure how to keep the angles for the upper/lowe stone to match aeach other and such.
My friend told me he uses an old poppyseed mill for grain and that it works, but it's very slow. I'd rather have something better...I know several type mills from the past, but working with stone is one of the few skills I never tried much.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Anyone tried making a grain mill?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:04:09 PM »
I can tell you, having done the R&D on improving modern milling efficiency "stone ground" means little. In modern practice, stainless steel milling devices like those made bu Buhler make up all the important milling. To achieve "stone ground" the grain merely passes through millstones that effectively do nothing. The operators who run such mills laugh about it.

I can't speak for historical grain milling but I know you'll deal with inconsistencies in ash, starch, protein, falling number, and other characteristics altered in  the milling process. Everyone badmouths white flour but loves a good baguette.

If I had a choice I'd opt for stainless but I respect the historical mill endeavor. Best of luck!