Author Topic: Life after chernobyl tv show  (Read 4205 times)

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
Life after chernobyl tv show
« on: April 25, 2016, 07:45:10 PM »
Life after chernobyl tv show. Looks interesting.
10pm est Tuesday night on animal planet.

Topic that always interested me. I was little when it happened so I don't have that perspective.

endurance

Re: Life after chernobyl tv show
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 05:32:16 AM »

Topic that always interested me. I was little when it happened so I don't have that perspective.
I was an adult and there was so much Cold War secrecy at the time it really wasn't until a decade later that we started getting a full understanding of just what really happened. I remember the news that was getting out was that there was a nuclear accident in the Soviet Union and for months or years parts of Scandinavia had to dispose of locally produced dairy products. Unlike Fukashima, we didn't have the details leaking out about the severity on site, rather it was border countries reporting what they were finding and snippets about mass evacuations (but the stories were suppressed as much as possible by the Soviets).

Some of the documentaries that have come out since then have been fascinating. They're still working to seal the site off and the area is still incredibly dangerous. But somehow the wildlife have made an amazing comeback because there's so few humans in the area to harass them. The buildings are fascinating. How quickly modern buildings fall apart when there's no one around to recaulk the Windows, reshingle the roof, or keep the rodent population in check. Without climate control, pipes burst, walls mildew, furnature suffers the damage of full sun, and everything falls apart.

Fascinating stuff.

Offline CandyGram4Mongo

• Prepper
  • Home on the range.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 07:42:22 AM »
Excellent 1st-hand write up/blog is here:
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html

Intense.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 08:11:04 AM »

I am amazed at how the exclusion zone has rebounded.  It seems that the radiation is of little concern beyond the very small amounts of genetic mutations that showed up early, but were not advantageous for survival and thus those that had such didn't get to mate and thus they didn't get passed on.  One show I watched said the only real side effect from the radiation is cancer, but that most wildlife's life spans are too short for that to be an issue.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:25:13 AM »
Excellent 1st-hand write up/blog is here:
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/chapter1.html

Intense.

AGH!  I was looking for this site last wednesday.  Our homeschool co-op was discussing nuclear energy/disaster/weapons, and I wanted to share some of the pictures from it.
note - there seems to be discrepancy about whether or not Elena actually rides her bike there.  There are a lot of people around discrediting her and her experiences.  I personally, based on other places I have read, have decided that the pictures and the story she tells is worth reading even if her method of getting them are suspect.  YMMV.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:19:07 PM »

AGH!  I was looking for this site last wednesday.  Our homeschool co-op was discussing nuclear energy/disaster/weapons, and I wanted to share some of the pictures from it.
note - there seems to be discrepancy about whether or not Elena actually rides her bike there.  There are a lot of people around discrediting her and her experiences.  I personally, based on other places I have read, have decided that the pictures and the story she tells is worth reading even if her method of getting them are suspect.  YMMV.
Took me a bit to find this.
Checkout this you tube channel. I watched a bunch of her videos a few years ago and they were pretty neat. She has some sort of scientific background I don't recall what. So there is some good educational type info in there.
Occasionally a little hard to understand, she speaks with some sort of accent, German maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/user/bionerd23