Author Topic: The Revenant movie  (Read 6356 times)

endurance

The Revenant movie
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:22:07 AM »
This is the first I've heard of the movie and while I'm not a big DeCaprio fan, the movie looks like a must see.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/leonardo-dicaprio-on-fighting-a-1281529422913590.html

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: The Revenant movie
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:37:05 AM »
That does look good. Reminds me of The Grey, which I really enjoyed.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 07:44:08 AM »
     Sound like a remake of 1971 movie "Man in the Wilderness", starring Richard Harris. Should be required watching for all survival minded folks.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 09:28:19 AM »

endurance

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 09:50:07 AM »
     Sound like a remake of 1971 movie "Man in the Wilderness", starring Richard Harris. Should be required watching for all survival minded folks.
I suspect it is, but that's one of the few movies in Hollywood that it wouldn't hurt to do again.  Some of the redos that are coming out lately weren't worth production costs the first time around.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 08:24:43 AM »
Anyone seen this yet? The trailer looked good. I'll probably rent it when it is available.

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 10:40:51 AM »
I have not seen the movie yet, but the true story of Hugh Glass is one of the most impressive personal survival tails. The events were pretty well documented within a year or so of the event in newspapers. I was enamoured by the Mountain Men as a teenager and read all accounts of them that I could find. They were a tough breed of men, but Hugh Glass really stood out.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 11:08:58 AM »
The film is good.
The bear attack and it's aftermath are pretty brutal so anyone with a low tolerance for that kind of thing should avert their eyes.

Offline Polar Bear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 10:17:26 PM »
The movie was awesome! They kept the prejudices of the time in the movie, the cinematography was amazing, the fight/action scenes were realistic, and the tools used were of the era.

I'm definitely buying it when it comes out on DVD.

All that said, the movie is very different that what really happened to him.   (Not the bear attack, but the reason why he goes forth.)

Online David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 08:56:11 PM »
Just watched. Tom Hardy deserved every supporting award possible. Not a film I'll likely watch again but well worth the view.

I will say I enjoyed that it broke with a lot of Hollywood troupes. The bear was not the hero, nor were the Native Americans. Everyone involved was bloody and merciless. Top to bottom survival of the fittest in the harshest way.

For those who have never had the pleasure of stumbling on a bear it is a terrifying animal. Not much beyond a thick hide, muscle, teeth, and claws. It was really nice to see a bear do what bears can do. Also nice to see a Hollywood film embrace the silent cold survival of my neck of the woods. Who knew that a western could work in the snow?

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 04:50:23 PM »
Great movie. I also remember Man in the Wilderness and was so happy that this film took a different slant on that theme. Thought it had more real depiction of what it means to be cold, wet, hungry and scared to death at the same time. It now has a place in my film library.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 04:50:57 PM »
Great movie. I also remember Man in the Wilderness and was so happy that this film took a different slant on that theme. Thought it had more real depiction of what it means to be cold, wet, hungry and scared to death at the same time. It now has a place in my film library.