Author Topic: Hot peppers in the food dehydrator  (Read 3759 times)

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
Hot peppers in the food dehydrator
« on: October 21, 2015, 10:12:27 PM »
So today was time to dehydrate the tobacco peppers from the garden this year. I had bad memories of a bumper crop of habernaro peppers a few years back. Basically that was hands on fire for three days and the house smelling like hot peppers so much of was hard to breathe.

This year I was more careful this year and my right hand only tingles a bit. Also I set up the dehydrator in the garage. After an hour on, I had to air out the garage.

Tomorrow morning should be interesting

What do you all do with hot peppers?

Jerseyboy

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
Re: Hot peppers in the food dehydrator
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 07:02:22 AM »
We chop them first, then dehydrate them out in the shop.  Then we run them through one of our grain mills to make chili powder.
Nitrile gloves are your friend.  Keep a box or two handy for all kinds of tasks.  Harbor Freight has 100 pc box for about $8 right now.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 09:07:48 AM »
yes, use gloves.  Also, keep your gloves on until you have washed all your equipment.  And if you do get some in your eye, milk helps (at least with jalapeƱo).
when you are done, wash your dehydrator trays thoroughly - we did something else, strawberries I think, after and they were a little hot to eat.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 05:02:38 AM »
Thanks for the advice. Oh, and it was tobasco peppers and not tobacco peppers. Dang auto correct...

I need to wait for the dishwasher to become free and I will put it on air dry so I won't warp the trays.h

Jerseyboy

Online David in MN

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 05:48:16 AM »
When I grow hot peppers (seems to be every third year) I tend to  rough chop them, lacto ferment them with garlic, and puree the whole mess into a homemade hot sauce. So tasty.

Nitrile gloves are a huge prep not just for peppers.
"See the problem with statements like that is it scares off a lot of good people who deserve the investment returns that are only available in the stock market." Freelancer

Offline artephius

• Survivor
  • Recovering forum lurker..
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 08:10:26 AM »
When I grow hot peppers (seems to be every third year) I tend to  rough chop them, lacto ferment them with garlic, and puree the whole mess into a homemade hot sauce. So tasty.

Not meaning to thread-jack here, but that sounds great! Any chance you could elaborate on that a little more? That sounds like an excellent thing to try out lacto fermentation with for my first time! Do you just throw it in a crock like sauerkraut?

Online David in MN

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
Not meaning to thread-jack here, but that sounds great! Any chance you could elaborate on that a little more? That sounds like an excellent thing to try out lacto fermentation with for my first time! Do you just throw it in a crock like sauerkraut?

Sure. Chop the peppers and pack them in a fermenter. I use a food grade plastic bucket with a ceramic plate over it. Add garlic or other flavors to your liking and add brine to just cover (we want a lot of liquid here compared to kraut). I usually add a drop of buttermilk to kick it off and let it ferment for a few weeks. Once it's done I clean any scuzz off the surface and puree it in a blender. Keeps in the fridge for a few months.

I like it because it has a fresher, cleaner flavor than commercial hot sauces and lacks any vinegar. Just a different kind of hot sauce than you find anywhere else.
"See the problem with statements like that is it scares off a lot of good people who deserve the investment returns that are only available in the stock market." Freelancer

Offline artephius

• Survivor
  • Recovering forum lurker..
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 02:47:31 PM »
Sure. Chop the peppers and pack them in a fermenter. I use a food grade plastic bucket with a ceramic plate over it. Add garlic or other flavors to your liking and add brine to just cover (we want a lot of liquid here compared to kraut). I usually add a drop of buttermilk to kick it off and let it ferment for a few weeks. Once it's done I clean any scuzz off the surface and puree it in a blender. Keeps in the fridge for a few months.

I like it because it has a fresher, cleaner flavor than commercial hot sauces and lacks any vinegar. Just a different kind of hot sauce than you find anywhere else.

Thanks that sounds awesome! Now I know what to do with the rest of my peppers...

Offline hollmann

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 10:46:44 PM »
i usualy thread my hot peppers on fishing line and hang them over the refrigerator to air dry, that lacto fermented peppers sounds good for birds eye peppers

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »
I took the last of the cowhorn peppers I had and made pepper flakes.

Another good peice of advice, wear a mask.   I maced myself chopping up the dried peppers in my food processor.    :facepalm:
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »
I was processing "Thai Hot" pepper seed out that I grow for a seed company I was barter trading seed for seed for... I wore gloves. I was doing it outside.. somehow I touched my eyes many hours later and I would have gone to the hospital for my burning eyes from Hades if I could have only seen to drive or walk the three blocks to the ER. OMG, I have had snow blindness, and I have been burnt from a welder, I would have welcomed either of those over the Hot Pepper in the eye burning. From now on, after I wash my hands even if I wore 2 layers of latex gloves, I wash in HOT water with coffee grounds to get the oils off.

A bunch of my guy friends were playing "Fear Factor" with eating my hot peppers (I had about 30-kinds at that point) and someone had to use the loo. After awhile he was really uncomfortable to the point of the rest of us noticing, and we inquired WTH his issue was. We determined his choices were coffee grounds or yogurt, he chose the yogurt and a ziplock bag. Which did work apparently. Just a heads up, hopefully you will never have to use that remedy. Just really be careful in working hot peppers (or horseradish apparently) and then getting near any sensitive bits on your body.

When I process them for food, I chop and freeze, dehydrate on racks (not in the dehydrator, as these tend to be smaller peppers anyway), or I make hot pepper jelly or something. Hot pepper jelly on cream cheese and crackers is AWESOME!

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 12:22:22 PM »
IN a pinch, if you don't have the nitrile gloves, plastic baggies will work... a little less easy to work with, but similar protection...

Offline JSmith36

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 05:33:31 PM »
I'm seeking info on the best or even second best dehydrator, I too have Lots of peppers to store.  Any help would be greatly appreciated
JSmith

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 09:14:41 PM »
This one is a good one but just a standard one

Nesco FD-75A Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0090WOCN0/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_7RQgybFGKXBTC

Jerseyboy

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »
I love my excalibur.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 09:34:53 AM »
We started with the dehydrator in the kitchen drying our hot peppers. It quickly got moved to the back porch because of the overwhelming hot pepper smell.  :rofl:

Course then we had to navigate through the back porch holding your breath somewhat to get to the kitchen. But all's well in pepper land. We have enough dried peppers of 5-6 different kinds to last forever.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Da Li

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 12:21:54 PM »
We cooked some hot (to us) peppers inside and had to vacate for a bit while the place aired out.

A few days later I cooked some more but used grandpa's coleman stove outside.
When standing down wind I still got hit with it a little, but adjusted things relative to wind patterns and was fine after that.

Next year I'll probably use the coleman again. Also makes for good practice in case the main stove goes down for a few days.

Sometimes the best thing that can happen is for your phone to die....

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »
I was processing "Thai Hot" pepper seed out that I grow for a seed company I was barter trading seed for seed for... I wore gloves. I was doing it outside.. somehow I touched my eyes many hours later and I would have gone to the hospital for my burning eyes from Hades if I could have only seen to drive or walk the three blocks to the ER. OMG, I have had snow blindness, and I have been burnt from a welder, I would have welcomed either of those over the Hot Pepper in the eye burning. From now on, after I wash my hands even if I wore 2 layers of latex gloves, I wash in HOT water with coffee grounds to get the oils off.

A bunch of my guy friends were playing "Fear Factor" with eating my hot peppers (I had about 30-kinds at that point) and someone had to use the loo. After awhile he was really uncomfortable to the point of the rest of us noticing, and we inquired WTH his issue was. We determined his choices were coffee grounds or yogurt, he chose the yogurt and a ziplock bag. Which did work apparently. Just a heads up, hopefully you will never have to use that remedy. Just really be careful in working hot peppers (or horseradish apparently) and then getting near any sensitive bits on your body.

When I process them for food, I chop and freeze, dehydrate on racks (not in the dehydrator, as these tend to be smaller peppers anyway), or I make hot pepper jelly or something. Hot pepper jelly on cream cheese and crackers is AWESOME!

Cedar

I did it again this year.  I was making sauce with all of the tomatoes and thought I would add a hot pepper or two to the sauce.  I grew Poblano peppers for the first time this year and didn't realize how hot they were.  I mean, they look so innocent being so large and everything.  I picked a red one and quartered it with bare hands and a knife.  I took a small piece and popped it in my mouth and I immediately loved the sugar/sweetness from being so ripe.  Then the heat was next. Wow, hotter than I expected.  But, I couldn't resist and did it again before I had to get some milk.  What a nice combination.  About 30 minutes later my hands started burning and it took me a few minutes to associate it with the one hot pepper I cut up.  The burn lasted for about three hours.  Well, at least it wasn't three days this time.

Any good hot pepper stories this year yet?

Jerseyboy

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 07:35:04 PM »
*shakes head*

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 07:39:01 AM »
I've dehydrated habanero, jalapeno, and several other hot peppers, right in the kitchen.  A little smell, but nothing the wife or the kids complained about.  I usually start when we go to bed and the dehydrator is done by the morning.

Here's my story for this year.  We had a bumper crop of habanero peppers, so much so that I couldn't give them away (note to self, next time don't plant 6 plants 2 will do nicely :D)   So I just left the peppers on the plants, they got over ripe and it came time to remove the plants.  I decided I would just mow them down with the riding mower.    Worked great, until I turned around for the second pass and the discharge chute was now blowing INTO the wind.  Got the first whiff of diced habanero and then held my breath and closed my eye for a few seconds until I got out of the pepper patch.  Thankfully I did not mace myself, but it was close.  Got enough of the hot stuff up my nose to clear out my sinuses (which was a good thing as I was going through a sinus infection and couldn't keep my nose cleared out for anything).

My hobby - Bolt Action pens and more: http://ryansturnings.etsy.com

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 07:58:47 AM »
Thankfully I did not mace myself, but it was close. 

:rofl: :rofl:

No new pepper stories from me. Used gloves, no booboo's this time. Probably because our pepper crop wasn't real good this year.

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »
Around here (in the southwest), it is green chile season... you can buy a bushel at the local grocery store, walk outside and they will roast them for you on-site. I still have a few left from last year, so haven't bought any more this year. These are best stored in small portions in ziplock bags in the freezer for fantastic fresh green chile all year long...

For those not living in the area, the chile can be ordered from local producers and shipped to you fresh. You then have to roast them yourself... most commonly on the gas grill in the back yard. If you want information on a local producer of good reputation, pm me. Hatch chiles are considered the best, but I find the chile grown here to be equally good.

(I realize this is not exactly helpful if the power goes out, etc., but it is a fantastic thing as long as things are going well). Oh... and it also has nothing to do with pepper dehydrating. I suppose you could dehydrate these green chiles quite easily. I'd want to remove the skins before dehydrating, though, so the roasting part still needs to happen.

Online David in MN

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 09:00:30 AM »
I hate to admit it, but I quit growing hot peppers. I'm the only one in the family who eats them and I've lost contact with the people I used to give them to. Nobody turns down a tomato or a bag of basil but I'd get to the point where I would give gallon bags of  hot peppers to a Mexican friend who wound up being the only taker. He moved, though.  :(

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 09:08:41 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not poking fun at anyone. I can laugh because BTDT.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Not poking fun at anyone.

Uuhuh..... ::)

:rofl:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »
  All I can say is that if you normally wash your hands after doing something...be sure to wash them before handling that too as peppers are the gift that keeps on giving and it can last for hours.
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?