Author Topic: Question for those who store coffee long term  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Question for those who store coffee long term
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:18:41 AM »
My Patriot Supply has instant coffee that will store long term.  I ordered some samples and tried them last night.  If their was no coffee to be had I could accept this and drink it.  However, I would like to store the coffee I drink, in bulk, long term (20-25 years). 

I'm thinking that I could buy the 1 lb bags, open a pour them into a mylar bag, ad O2 absorber and seal just as I have done with rice, beans and other items.

Your thoughts please.  Thanks in advance for your help.
David

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Re: Question for those who store coffee long term
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 06:40:29 AM »

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 06:55:24 AM »
We've been buying raw beans from Costco.  They sell a case (6 - #10 cans) for what works out to about $4/lb last time we bought it.  It's good coffee, and it'll store forever.  Can't remember which beans they use.  I tried to pull up the link, but Costco's site is down at the moment.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 07:51:10 AM »
I'm thinking that I could buy the 1 lb bags, open a pour them into a mylar bag, ad O2 absorber and seal just as I have done with rice, beans and other items.

Most beans will off gas and will blow up like balloons in mylar bags and could eventually pop. There are a few options.   One is to put then in mylar bags with o2 absorbers leaving an unfilled area.  As they blow up occasionally put a small slit in the unfilled area the to let gas escape and then seal the slit by applying heat to it.  A hair iron works great for the revealing.  Another option is to buy mylar bags with an off gassing valve that lets the gasses out but keeps oxygen from coming in.   However these valves can fail without notice so there is a bit of risk in using them.   Third option is to use canning jars with o2 absorbers instead of mylar bags.  In my experience this works the best but is more expensive.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 05:36:02 PM »
In the past I have stored roasted beans in mylar with O2 absorbers for up to 5 years without issues.  In every case, they pulled down tight and stayed that way.  However, these days I put them in quart Mason jars with an O2 absorber.  It's just more convenient.  Some seem to pull down a partial vacuum so that I have to pry the lid off, others seem to build up a little pressure.  There's no rhyme or reason to it, but the coffee tastes fine either way.  I think the main thing is to absorb out the O2 so that the bean oils don't oxidize and give that "skunked" flavor.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 05:56:33 PM »
Lots of disagreement in how to store it for LONG term.  Up to five years doesn't seem to matter so much green or roasted, past 10 seems to.  Whole roasted bean already in a real #10 can would be easy. 

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 07:43:22 PM »
I buy and store 2lb bags of whole beans. I store as is in a f gal bucket.
I can get five packages in a bucket.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:55:36 PM »
Plant a few unroasted beans. If the climate DOES change, you might be able to grow your own.  :)

d3nni5

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 03:57:48 PM »
I'm a fairly heavy coffee drinker.   I've found, for the most part, coffee is already packaged well enough (regardless of the packaging).   Most has "Best By" storage up to and over a year.   So I usually buy my coffee on sale (ground or whole bean, whatever i find) and keep it in the original packaging, cycling in and out in FIFO manner.   This gives me plenty (6+ months worth) of coffee without really needing to do anything other than put it on the pantry shelf.   In a SHTF scenerio, I'm sure I would ration and stretch that out 2-3 times as long  and only brew exactly what I plan to drink.   This keeps me in an "eat what I store, store what I eat" frame of mind, and meets my long term needs too because I always have it in stock.

Read this  (FYI, I didn't read them completely either) :) ,

http://www.scaa.org/chronicle/2012/02/15/what-is-the-shelf-life-of-roasted-coffee-a-literature-review-on-coffee-staling/

And this (you may need to use google to translate it),

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0101-20612003000400005&lng=pt&nrm=iso&tlng=pt

According to this, roasted coffee is shelf stable, and age only affects its quality.   So, as long as you are not "snooty snobby" about your coffee, you can just keep it on the shelf.   Freezers, bucketing, etc etc I'm sure will only help preserve the flavor more.

The Binky Hunter is our resident expert on coffee.   He should weigh in.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »
My post above, should have been 5 gal, not f gal.  ??? :)

No editing your own posts here?

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:55 PM »
Not to change the subject but I'm looking to plant some yaupon holly plants. The dried/roasted leaves can be used for caffeine, and were used by Native Americans. Anyone actually tried and can attest to the taste in comparison to coffee?

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 05:49:43 AM »
My post above, should have been 5 gal, not f gal.  ??? :)

No editing your own posts here?

You have a window of ONLY a half an hour after your initial post to edit it. You can edit it as many times as you like for that half an hour. After that, the edit option is locked out and then only an admin can edit it for you.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 07:17:27 PM »
Ok thanks Oil Lady

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »
bumping up an old thread... just wondering after several years how most of us do this...

Around here, coffee is a staple -- we typically have 6-9 months' supply on the pantry shelves, rotated (FIFO). I also have some instant coffee (in case I'd ever get really desperate).

I find this is enough to satisfy my prepping mentality and have never ventured into the whole "storing unroasted beans and then figuring out how to roast them correctly" thing. I realize storing the unroasted beans would give a much longer shelf life, but the whole effort just seems a bit too great to me...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 10:23:37 PM »
Only thing I've changed is *not* storing our 36oz whole beans coffee in buckets.
I'm just storing on a self, so I can rotate the bags.
We keep between 12 and 16 bags all time.
We use (2 of us) 1 bag in about 30 days or a little less.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 06:37:17 AM »
I find shelf storage simpler to rotate, too... I think you keep a bigger supply on hand than I do typically...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 09:05:34 AM »
I try and replace each bag as used, but sometimes don't. Then I buy 2 to catch up.
At 13.00 for a bag, I don't want to get too far behind.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 03:44:49 PM »
Not to change the subject but I'm looking to plant some yaupon holly plants. The dried/roasted leaves can be used for caffeine, and were used by Native Americans. Anyone actually tried and can attest to the taste in comparison to coffee?
It makes a very nice tea. Nothing like coffee.
I and another family member have enjoyed these folks products:
https://www.yauponbrothers.com/collections/all

Depends on whether you need the caffeine or the coffee ?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 04:23:18 PM »
It makes a very nice tea. Nothing like coffee.
I and another family member have enjoyed these folks products:
https://www.yauponbrothers.com/collections/all

Depends on whether you need the caffeine or the coffee ?

Cool beans. I've never tried it. Do you live where you can grow your own? If so, have you done it and how do you process/dry the yaupon?

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 04:43:36 PM »
I could, but I have not.
Don't really drink that much of it.
Trying to stay away from caffeine altogether.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 04:46:28 PM »
Not me... I run on caffeine, I think :)

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 05:05:18 PM »
Not me... I run on caffeine, I think :)

I used to run on caffeine also and nicotine. Quit the nicotine and several years later retired, not much caffeine now and can do without if I want to, just make about 8 cups out of habit. Drink only about half of it if that much.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »
I was never a smoker, but I understand that many who are think coffee and cigarettes go well together...

We make a big pot of coffee (about 10 cups) each morning and drink it all... and then sometimes I want another cup in the afternoon from the keurig...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2018, 09:52:09 AM »
Yes cigs and coffee are family.  ;D Or used to be for me.
I used to live on both. Just coffee now.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 10:20:41 AM »
For now my long term coffee needs are met by instant coffee stored in mason jars.  By long term storage, I figure 2 - 3 years based on my current consumption rate.

The only green coffee beans that I have seen for sale are in plastic bags.  I would not mind picking up a few cans of a Moca Java blend.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
@Bradbn4: Do you typically drink instant coffee? I would have a hard time adjusting to that when not an emergency...

It has been awhile since I searched for green coffee beans... as I looked today, I see a wide variety on Amazon... plus I found this nifty vid about using a popcorn popper for a coffee roaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBAVyQA-Ys

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 12:27:03 PM »
Last year I opened a jar of instant coffee which had been sitting unopened, in original factory seal, for a year. Tasted Terrible!
I had had that brand of coffee before and it was fine when fresh.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 01:04:11 PM »
@Bradbn4: Do you typically drink instant coffee? I would have a hard time adjusting to that when not an emergency...

It has been awhile since I searched for green coffee beans... as I looked today, I see a wide variety on Amazon... plus I found this nifty vid about using a popcorn popper for a coffee roaster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySBAVyQA-Ys

Coffee at work is so bad it makes instant taste coffee good.  I drink my coffee weak, tho when I use a french press the coffee taste real smooth and kicks like a mule.   I did not see any green beans in long term storage cans.  I think Safe Castle does sell green beans that way. 

Depending on the time of the year, I will only have one cup of coffee a day, and my efforts to brew a constant good tasting cup of joe fails unless I made a full pot.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 03:31:55 PM »
Boy I hate to be that guy but...

Coffee doesn't store. Its flavor comes from volatile oils. Coffee should be consumed fresh. It's shipped green, roasted, and sold as a fresh commodity.

I'm not throwing shade on long term storers. I do with vacuum packed whole beans but it's the best way to lose.

If you want a long term storable caffeine you really want to look to tea. Not only does it store better but it requires much less space. My Earl Grey, Darjeeling, Puerh, Gunpowder, etc. are awesome pick-me-ups and they will last years in Ball jars in the cupboard. Long after my coffee goes rancid I will have tea.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 04:55:41 PM »
Boy I hate to be that guy but...

Coffee doesn't store. Its flavor comes from volatile oils. Coffee should be consumed fresh. It's shipped green, roasted, and sold as a fresh commodity.

I'm not throwing shade on long term storers. I do with vacuum packed whole beans but it's the best way to lose.

If you want a long term storable caffeine you really want to look to tea. Not only does it store better but it requires much less space. My Earl Grey, Darjeeling, Puerh, Gunpowder, etc. are awesome pick-me-ups and they will last years in Ball jars in the cupboard. Long after my coffee goes rancid I will have tea.

Agreed... I know that there are many coffee snobs who would think the coffee I am happy with is not fresh enough. However, when I store coffee on the shelf for up to 6 months or so, we really have no complaints and are pretty happy. Much longer than that and I imagine even our less-sensitive palates might complain. I also tend toward the darker roasts, which have less caffeine per cup, so perhaps my coffee habit isn't as bad as it could be :)

Tea is a great thing to store... I have had many teas that have been stored for a really long time and still taste great. Also, if I am ever unable to get tea with caffeine in it (I really do prefer the black teas), I think I could do just fine with rosehip or mint tea that I could grow myself... so it is all good.

I do know from sad personal experience that I shouldn't try to quit caffeine cold turkey... it gives a whopping bad headache. I've accidentally done this a time or two when traveling and is not something I want to repeat...