Author Topic: Question for those who store coffee long term  (Read 6397 times)

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Question for those who store coffee long term
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 11:43:13 AM »
Many of us might not need to actually store tea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia_sinensis

Camellia sinensis is mainly cultivated in tropical and subtropical climates, in areas with at least 127 cm (50 inches) of rainfall a year. Tea plants prefer a rich and moist growing location in full to part sun, and can be grown in hardiness zones 7 – 9. However, the clonal one is commercially cultivated from the equator to as far north as Cornwall and Scotland on the UK mainland. Many high quality teas are grown at high elevations, up to 1,500 meters (4,900 feet), as the plants grow more slowly and acquire more flavour.

Tea plants will grow into a tree if left undisturbed, but cultivated plants are pruned to waist height for ease of plucking. Two principal varieties are used, the small-leaved Chinese variety plant (C. sinensis sinensis) and the large-leaved Assamese plant (C. sinensis assamica), used mainly for black tea.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 01:49:25 PM »
Have you tried this, hurricane?

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2018, 02:41:41 PM »
No

Offline quiet-man

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 09:58:28 AM »
I've read through the responses on coffee but didn't see anything on the results of storing freeze-dried instant. I would like to try putting instant in mylar w/ O2 absorbers and store indoors at room temperature.
I'm not a coffee snob but my wife is so I store tea that way already. Any feed back on the results of doing this and trying it a couple years down the road?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 11:21:19 AM »
I haven't seen anything on that either, quiet-man. I have an unopened jar of Folgers classic roast crystals that recommended use by April of 2011. I have not stored it in mylar or with any O2 absorbers... shall I perform a taste test and let you know how it survived???

8+ years beyond the use-by date with no special packaging may give us some idea...

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 04:22:31 PM »
I have an unopened jar of Folgers classic roast crystals that recommended use by April of 2011. I have not stored it in mylar or with any O2 absorbers... shall I perform a taste test and let you know how it survived???
If you do, we'd love to hear the results.  Did the crystals come through all that time without absorbing moisture?  Were they clumped up, discolored, etc.?  But don't try anything that seems unsafe on our account.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2018, 06:56:06 PM »
OK... as requested... I photographed the jar and sampled a cup. What can I say? It tasted just like instant coffee... no ill effects and didn't taste any worse than I remember instant coffee tasting the last time I sampled it. (half and half did help).

In short, my determination is that this stuff is fine... even after all these years... of course it won't be like your typical cup of Starbuck's.

Cheers.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2018, 07:07:31 PM »
Thanks for the report LvsChant!  Might have to stockpile a few jars now.  Not my usual brew, but when things go sideways there may not be time to grind beans and brew the good stuff.  And honestly, instant is pretty good these days, head an shoulders above what it used to be.  Thanks again.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2018, 07:12:05 PM »
You are welcome... thanks for the encouragement to open it up. I may need to get more (y'know... just in case).

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2018, 09:28:38 PM »
 8)
Good report.
My folks drank instant. Yuk. They saved all the jars, case after case......all went to the dump. Oh well.

How much is instant these days? May have to find a brand we like and stock some.
We keep whole beans, about a years worth I'd say. We rotate them.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2018, 12:18:43 AM »
Wow, good to know LvsChant.  I'm going to stock some long term.

I really don't like coffee, especially black, but a few years ago I decided to start drinking it with nothing else added  because of the increasing amount of data showing a significant positive effect on all-cause mortality, which has been repeated in several different studies and is positively correlated to dose.  There's also no significant difference between method of preparation or caffeine content, so I decided to test a bunch of different instant brands to find the one I hated the least, which turned out to be the NesCafe Taster's Choice from Costco. 

One thing I've noticed is that I can mix instant coffee crystals into cold tap water and actually don't mind drinking it lukewarm.  In a grid down situation, where filtered or boiled water still has some weird color/taste issues, I'd probably be much happier disguising it with coffee crystals and drinking it that way.

Offline Hurricane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »
I had a jar of store-brand instant which did not last a year before it got moisture in it, turned black and crunchy. Fortunately it was a small jar.

I think it depends on the quality of the seal. If I was going to stock up now for long term, I would pick a good national brand and then wrap at least the top of the jar in plastic wrap. Or dip it in wax or something to double-seal it.

I have been trying to get away from the first-thing-every-morning habit, but I still drink too much.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2018, 06:45:16 PM »
Yes... especially in high humidity climates I can imagine that situation. As you can see from the photos I posted, the seal on the top of the glass jar was still in excellent condition.

I did nothing special to keep it that way (and you might be interested to know that the jar moved with my family two times during that time period. It was stored part of the time (probably about 2 years) in a non-air-conditioned garage and the rest of the time in an interior pantry).