Author Topic: The Man in the High Castle - Amazon Original Series  (Read 30016 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
The Man in the High Castle - Amazon Original Series
« on: October 26, 2015, 12:23:31 AM »
This series is loosely based on the novel which explores the alternate reality of the Allies losing WWII, with a dystopian US society split between the Nazis and Japan.  The first two episodes are out, with the full season available Nov. 20, and I'm hooked. 

Check out the trailer:  https://youtu.be/hzz_6dmv03I

FREEDOM IS UNDER CONTROL

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: The Man in the High Castle - Amazon Original Series
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 04:35:21 AM »
The very first first FIRST (pilot) episode was available for free on Facebook all weekend long. I totally stumbled onto it quite by accident on Saturday night on Facebook and I was hooked by just the first 30 seconds of that pilot episode. Yes --the opening credits and ALLLLL that was going on behind the opening credits-- was what hooked me.

There was a link to watch the second episode for free also, but the link brought me to Amazon and required me to log in with my (non--existent) Amazon account. So I only got the first episode.

Very cool pilot episode. This is Red Dawn for grownups.

endurance

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 07:29:47 AM »
Whew!  That map is reassuring. So grateful I live in the borderlands. ;)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »
I was actually hooked on the trailer when I stumbled across it by accident. So far, I'd say it's 80% 1984 and 20% Red Dawn.  The world they've created here is amazing. Shell out the money to Big Brother Amazon for a Prime account and enjoy. I love Big Brother!

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
Back in the 1990's, my roommate at the time down in Florida was very eager for me to watch a made-for-TV movie with her. She was a military brat whose family was stationed in Germany until she turned about 9 years old. And then when she entered the military herself at age 18, she was stationed in Germany for her full time in service. She was also writing her own "Red-Dawn-style" PAW fiction at the time when we were in Florida.

So she said "We gotta watch this movie!" She said she had read the book it was based on. It was called Fatherland. Same general premise of a 1960's revisioning of the world where Nazi Germany won. Elderly and decrepit Adolf Hitler in the Castro-esque sundown phase of his life, etc etc,

I dunno if Fatherland is based on the same work of fiction that this new Amazon series is based upon, (prolly is, if only loosely so). But I sent her a note about this series and I hope she gets a chance to watch it.

Fatherland on IMDb.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109779/

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »

I dunno if Fatherland is based on the same work of fiction that this new Amazon series is based upon, (prolly is, if only loosely so). But I sent her a note about this series and I hope she gets a chance to watch it.

The Man in the High Castle was a 1962 alternate history novel.  Fatherland was a 1992 alternate history novel.  While both are from the genre of alternate history, and doubtlessly The Man in the High Castle had some influence on Fatherland they are still completely separate stories and to my reading Fatherland is not based on the previous work.  Particularly, Philip K. Dick was himself in writing The Man in the High Castle, featuring a "novel within a novel" motif where multiple characters are reading a novel about an alternate ending to WWII that is different than their ending to WWII, but is still not our ending to WWII...which features heavily in the mind of the readers of The Man in the High Castle (who are also readers of a novel about an alternate ending to WWII).  I now need an aspirin just from trying to summarize that.

Fatherland is a relatively pedestrian novel compared to that, though I think still interesting.  But then again, I am an alt history nut.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 01:09:48 PM »
seems silly to me.  you really think Hitler would have stopped with the western world?  If not him, the culture he created. He probably hated the non-aryan Japanese as much as the non-aryans everyone else.  He was just smart enough to use them to keep everyone else occupied.

Whew!  That map is reassuring. So grateful I live in the borderlands. ;)

those border lands are probably no-mans land

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 01:41:06 PM »
seems silly to me. 

Zombies seemed silly to me, too. 

But then The Walking Dead came along and I suspended disbelief for the sake of an interesting story about what people do when the world goes to hell.  I see this as a similar situation, an interesting story about Americans forced to live under the Nazis, much like what actually happened to the French. 

He probably hated the non-aryan Japanese as much as the non-aryans everyone else.  He was just smart enough to use them to keep everyone else occupied.

You're right, and that's part of the story line.

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 12:27:14 PM »
I read the book and didn't think too much of it over all. It was kind of cool but over all boring. I have read Fahrenheit 451 many Robert Heinlein novels, all of the dune series and neuromancer just to name a few. I love dry dystopian future kind of books but this just didn't do it for me.

nkawtg

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »
You'd love the Foundation Series then...

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 07:17:33 PM »
I have found the first two episodes. Extremely intriguing.... However I have been dissapointed before with promising starts...

Its an amazon original and is available to purchase there. Or if you are a prime member you get amazon instant video for free and thus. This show for free.

I find alternate history fun however I don't see how a german or japanese army could have conquered the us. At best. They would have kept us from exersizing power outside of our borders.  In decades after the war. They could have built up an army and industrial base. Possibly able to invade.  The japanese were constrained by the small population, zealots yes, but they did not conscript en masse like the germans did.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 07:23:34 PM »
I watched what is out so far, and I loved it.

I need to write November 2 on my calendar.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
I have no knowledge of the book or of how closely the series plans to follow its story line.

Here's a quick summary of the geopolitical world envisioned by the novel:  https://youtu.be/btI5y8Sw9cs

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 10:16:43 AM »
I have no knowledge of the book or of how closely the series plans to follow its story line.

Here's a quick summary of the geopolitical world envisioned by the novel:  https://youtu.be/btI5y8Sw9cs

Love that vid! Thanks for sharing! :)

The series is implying (at least from the pilot episode) that the Nazis and the Japanese have both so grossly rewritten history that there has been an ongoing conspiracy to cover up the REAL truth that the allies did indeed win WWII, and yet all that has been (somehow) erased from the official record. Included in the evidence of all this, a main character unearths an old black-and-white newsreel in the pilot episode --a newsreel of perhaps 3 minutes in length with no sound-- showing the US victory in Europe, the raising of the flag at Iwo Jima, and US nurses/servicemen hugging and kissing in Times Square at the news that the war was over. FDR is in that newsreel.

So it seems that the departure from the novel is rather glaring.

The title of the series makes reference to some mysterious artistic filmmaker dude who got a reputation for making alternative history films so realistic that they looked like maybe they were authentic (sort of the first mockumentary filmmaker ever). This guys who makes those fake newsreels goes by the nickname "The Man in the High Castle." But we never see this man in the pilot episode, we only hear him mentioned in conversation by someone who tries to explain away this startling news reel by insisting it's a fake film made by that famous alt-histiry filmmaker.

endurance

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 06:12:50 PM »
I have found the first two episodes. Extremely intriguing.... However I have been dissapointed before with promising starts...

Its an amazon original and is available to purchase there. Or if you are a prime member you get amazon instant video for free and thus. This show for free.

I find alternate history fun however I don't see how a german or japanese army could have conquered the us. At best. They would have kept us from exersizing power outside of our borders.  In decades after the war. They could have built up an army and industrial base. Possibly able to invade.  The japanese were constrained by the small population, zealots yes, but they did not conscript en masse like the germans did.
I don't know.  What if they developed nuclear weapons and we didn't?  There's many times in history the scales were tipped because of one simple advance in technology that the other side couldn't match.  Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel is full of many such examples, from stirrups to the catapult, sometimes technology can create amazing levels of superiority.  Enter the jet fighter or jet powered bomber a few years earlier in the war and those technologies alone might have changed the tide. 

Besides, it's a fantasy future and as others have pointed out, it seems unlikely the Japanese-German alliance would have lasted very long.

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 06:53:05 PM »
I just watched the first episode. Very cool concept. I loved it, looking forward to watching the rest. Its amazing what is happening to t.v these days. I haven't had cable in two years and don't think I have missed anything. Between Amazon, Hulu and Netflix who needs it. I guess free markets actually do work.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 12:55:08 AM »
I binged the entire first season and can report that I'm still impressed, overall, with the story. 

I find the Axis characters' intrigues/treachery much more interesting and complex than what's going on with the Resistance, though.  While I can overlook a few incredible plot devices for the sake of a good story, I'm a bit apprehensive about things veering into a kind of Lost-style weirdness that might blow the series for me. 

But I'll definitely be back for season two.

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2015, 06:08:52 AM »
I binged the entire first season and can report that I'm still impressed, overall, with the story. 

I find the Axis characters' intrigues/treachery much more interesting and complex than what's going on with the Resistance, though.  While I can overlook a few incredible plot devices for the sake of a good story, I'm a bit apprehensive about things veering into a kind of Lost-style weirdness that might blow the series for me. 

But I'll definitely be back for season two.

Exactly my thoughts.  At the opoints your describing I was cringing a bit.....please no....

Still very much liking the show. Very hard to not feel bad for characters and then realize they were in charge of death camps and promoting a totalitarian society.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2015, 08:27:28 AM »
the axis characters do have more depth and seem to be more focused, jules is stumbling around, reacting poorly to what happens. frank (frank frink, what a dumb name), only got a backbone when he decided to kill the prince. Our favorite anti-hero Blake is not sure wth he wants to do.... So a good show..

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2015, 03:49:59 PM »
the axis characters do have more depth and seem to be more focused, jules is stumbling around, reacting poorly to what happens. frank (frank frink, what a dumb name), only got a backbone when he decided to kill the prince. Our favorite anti-hero Blake is not sure wth he wants to do.... So a good show..

I agree dumb name. I mean its possible. However its a show you can any name!!!!

Without a spoiler the twist with obergruppenfuhrer and his son was a well written twist.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 03:54:49 PM »
Without a spoiler the twist with obergruppenfuhrer and his son was a well written twist.

Indeed!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 04:25:15 PM »

that was a major twist i was not expecting at all. wow. damn...

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 05:04:24 PM »
I think the concept of an American named John Smith, who speaks bad German, rising to the upper echelons of the SS is very interesting, regardless of plausibility. I'm very interested to learn more of his backstory.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:09:41 PM by FreeLancer »

Online Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 05:47:13 PM »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 05:56:55 PM »
This just in: Idiots in the advertising department do idiotic thing.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/11/24/amazon-pulls-nyc-subway-ads-nazi-imagery-causes-complaints/?intcmp=hplnws

:facepalm:

no offense to marketing ppl who may read this, but in my experiences i've found marketing ppl do not live in reality.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 10:54:27 PM »
I only read the text news blurb about the ads being pulled and figured it was another over reaction by the perpetually offended....but then I saw the pictures....and I guess it actually is a bit much.

I noticed that they didn't even use the swastika on that Nazi American flag, as they did in the actual series.  But it still sends a chill up my spine.

Online Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 07:19:06 AM »

Wow, the pictures I'd seen only showed the Nazi side of the subway car.  With some history to put it in context the Japanese side is just as bad.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • #ImissAmerica
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 08:55:09 AM »
who thought this was ok in the marketing dept and in the subway mgmt... idiots.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2015, 09:04:58 AM »
I can't imagine having fought in WWII or been in a concentration camp and then walking into that subway unawares.  And there are plenty of people still around that fit that description.

I imagine the marketing department knew it would cause a stir and end up being removed, but figured the additional publicity was worth it.

Still, if someone with a nice, safe desk job decides to shock the world at the expense of people who dealt with the reality of war, that's just not cool.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 07:48:08 AM »
The series has been renewed for a 2nd season with all of the production team in place:
http://tvline.com/2015/12/18/man-in-the-high-castle-renewed-season-2/