Author Topic: fermented foods - what have you pickled?  (Read 12444 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: fermented foods - what have you pickled?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2016, 02:57:15 PM »
2t salt per pound of sliced cabbage   -- from Joy Of Cooking. Works for me and my friends
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »
Thank you. 

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2016, 09:10:58 PM »
Just made a 35 lb batch of sourkraut in my #12 crock for canning. I've always used 3 1/2 tablespoons canning salt per 5 lb. of
cleaned, de-cored and ready - to - shred cabbage. Have made it that way
 for years. (my mom's recipe)
Anymore I weigh it on an accurate scale and measure carefully, have much more consistent results now.

Also did a live batch of cauliflower, garlic and onion in my Schmitts 5-liter crock a couple weeks ago.
Like that fermenting crock, makes batches that fill a couple half gallon jars, perfect for the fridge. 

good luck!
Montag451
Stayed up all night wondering where the sun went,
Then it dawned on me.....

Online AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2016, 07:31:22 AM »
I made beet kraut a couple of weeks ago and my fiance made pickles. First time we really fermented anything and they both turned out great. Then he got me a little 1 gallon crock for my birthday last week, so I'll be doing a lot more I think. I have a recipe for fermented shiso that I want to try, just have to wait for my plants to get big enough.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »
Just tagging on here.  ;D Looks like a great thread.
Never pickled anything, but about to venture into pickling okra, as we have some starting to come strong in the garden. And I love the taste of the Talk-O-Texas pickled okra.
I found a super easy (looks to be) recipe I'm going to try. Just have to get 4 more pints filled with okra then start the process.
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2016, 09:01:45 PM »
Hmm....fermented beets. might try that. what's good to put in with that?
don't like a lot of heat :P

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 09:53:09 PM »
Got 8 pints of okra pickled. Put some habanaro's in the jars.  Oh oh ouchie maybe.  :o

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2016, 08:02:06 AM »

Ginger

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2016, 11:22:56 AM »
Got 8 pints of okra pickled. Put some habanaro's in the jars.  Oh oh ouchie maybe.  :o

But, this is the thread for fermented pickles, not made with vinegar and water bath processed. I do both too.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2016, 03:05:22 PM »
Oopsie.... ;D

Online AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2016, 05:42:27 PM »

I just made mine with 1 head of cabbage, 2 beets, and 1-2 tablespoons of salt (I measured out 1T and then added to taste). It turns this bright fuchsia color and tastes basically like regular sauerkraut, maybe slightly sweeter. Tastes great and I love just looking at it in my fridge.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2016, 01:28:03 PM »
starting a pint of garlic today.  Was about 4 heads.  just garlic, no other seasonings or spices.

I also have some cucumbers to do.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »
starting a pint of garlic today.  Was about 4 heads.  just garlic, no other seasonings or spices.

I also have some cucumbers to do.
And you did this how?  We always have extra garlic.  And is this something you eat outright?  Or do you use pickled garlic like you do regular garlic?
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2016, 08:21:23 PM »
And you did this how?  We always have extra garlic.  And is this something you eat outright?  Or do you use pickled garlic like you do regular garlic?

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/lacto-fermentation-recipes/lacto-fermented-garlic-cloves/
http://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2012/09/52-weeks-of-bad-a-bacteria-week-32-lactofermented-garlic-updated-for-the-pickl-it/

basically the same thing on these two and a few others I looked at.

As to what I am going to do with it - I HAVE NO IDEA!!!!  My sister and her husband love pickled garlic, but when she and I tried "pickling" it with vinegar and water bathing it, they did NOT like it.  I am hoping that they will like this, and I can convert another two people to lacto-fermenting!
I will let you know when it is done.  ;D
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2016, 07:55:06 AM »
I just made mine with 1 head of cabbage, 2 beets, and 1-2 tablespoons of salt (I measured out 1T and then added to taste). It turns this bright fuchsia color and tastes basically like regular sauerkraut, maybe slightly sweeter. Tastes great and I love just looking at it in my fridge.

Going to have to experiment with that, thanks for the tip ;D               

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2016, 10:21:12 AM »

Yep, that is done alot out here, you can add all kinds of different plant matter to a bed of cabbagle to ferment. What we have done and seen added, grated carrots, grated beets, Opuntia (prickly pear) pads, sliced, seaweed, kale, tree collards, various herbs, any kind of garden greens

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2016, 07:44:58 PM »
here is a link, I'm on their mailing list, so this timely link came today:

Lacto fermented zuchini slices ! http://www.mountainfeed.com/blogs/learn/fermented-zucchini-pickle-chips

Online AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2016, 08:50:22 AM »
Oooo, my neighbor just brought over some fresh zucchini from her garden yesterday, might have to try this!

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2016, 08:19:40 PM »
Ginger

Now THAT sounds interesting...probably don't want TOO much in there, hmmm......
Wonder what a little clove/nutmeg in fermented beets would do.
Never thought about putting stuff like that in a ferment. Love candied beets, wonder what would happen....
Would likely be awesome, or absolutely NASTY and disgusting, lol
Anyone tried these ingredients?

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2016, 08:28:33 PM »

Recently fermented 3 big heads of cauliflower, with a LOT of garlic and some onion, yummy.
The wife loves the fermented garlic cloves, not strong tasting after the ferment.
Me, I,m all about the cauliflower, lol
Ok, going to the fridge to gets some, you folks are making me hungry.....

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran

Richard (richard)

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »
I kept a small jar of garlic in the refrigerator for several months, no brine, crushed, and some salt. It turned out to be the most luscious garlic spread imaginable. It fermented developing a creamy gravy to it.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2016, 01:09:47 PM »
We can pickle that (Portlandia)
https://youtu.be/yYey8ntlK_E

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2016, 09:30:35 PM »
Ever since checking out the book Fresh and Fermented from the library (I highly recommend it!) we've made 25lb batches of ruby red kraut with cabbage, beets, green onions, ginger and carrots quite a few times... the big trick we learned is to pound the snot out of it before putting it in the 5 gallon crock and submerging it.  We've also made dill pickles with garlic cloves (eat them plain or with other food- they mellow out a bit after fermenting) and it's okay if your brine is cloudy!

I almost started a business selling those two till the dept of making you sad explained all the regulations... and no, I don't have a commercial kitchen... grrrr!  But I digress...

What I really want to make some time is pickled asparagus with garlic, dill and a jalepenio pepper... but I've yet to find a recipe that isn't assuming it gets canned and uses distilled vinegar (we shy away from that stuff).
"Hey!  If you go home, please don't be upset by the mess:(  I made homemade brownies..." - My wonderful wife
~Sometimes God's blessings come dressed as a curse~
"What he needs is a kick in the pants" - Dinky Dao

"Hey, you should start a blog!"-heliotropicmoth

Here's my blog: Building Rome - as fast as I can!

My YouTube channel

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • New MSB member
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2017, 08:35:35 AM »
I recently did fermented baby telegraph cukes and sauerkraut. Has anyone tried fermented ketchup or relish? How about Kim-chi?

Once I had my heroes
Once I had my dreams
But all of that is changed now
They've turned things inside out
The truth is not that comfortable, no

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2017, 08:52:11 AM »
I recently did fermented baby telegraph cukes and sauerkraut. Has anyone tried fermented ketchup or relish? How about Kim-chi?

Thank you for resurrecting this thread!  I had forgotten about it.

I made 3 different relishes this month.  I am hoping that at least one will be a winner with the tough crowd here.  I have not tried any of them yet, but they have moved from the counter to the fridge.

http://neohomesteading.com/old-school-fermented-dill-pickle-relish/
https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/lacto-fermentation-recipes/lacto-fermented-cucumber-relish/
http://www.healthstartsinthekitchen.com/recipe/fermented-sweet-pickle-relish/

I also did a jar of these: https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/lacto-fermentation-recipes/lacto-fermented-grated-ginger-carrots  they are also in the fridge.  they were very salty, and a lot of the brine has disappeared. I need to add more, but am unsure if I can just add water since it is already so salty, or if i need to dump and mix fresh water in.  The only liquid I used was from the carrots and ginger.  Any thoughts?

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • New MSB member
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2017, 10:11:26 AM »

I made 3 different relishes this month.  I am hoping that at least one will be a winner with the tough crowd here.  I have not tried any of them yet, but they have moved from the counter to the fridge.

http://neohomesteading.com/old-school-fermented-dill-pickle-relish/
https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/lacto-fermentation-recipes/lacto-fermented-cucumber-relish/
http://www.healthstartsinthekitchen.com/recipe/fermented-sweet-pickle-relish/

I also did a jar of these: https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/lacto-fermentation-recipes/lacto-fermented-grated-ginger-carrots  they are also in the fridge.  they were very salty, and a lot of the brine has disappeared. I need to add more, but am unsure if I can just add water since it is already so salty, or if i need to dump and mix fresh water in.  The only liquid I used was from the carrots and ginger.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for the relish recipes! Do I need pickle cukes or can I use regular ones? (I lost my telegraphs to leaf mold)

My garden is still producing a few habaneros - any ever tried adding them to a pickle or kraut recipe?
Once I had my heroes
Once I had my dreams
But all of that is changed now
They've turned things inside out
The truth is not that comfortable, no

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »
I add them to pickled okra. Only takes a half of one to a pint. Lol

Online AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2017, 12:56:27 PM »

I made a batch of Kimchi last winter, it turned out great. I just finished some garlic pickles last weekend, they're so good. I refuse to eat store-bought pickles anymore.

This is my favorite book for fermented recipes (may have already posted it in this thread, but it's worth posting again): https://www.amazon.com/Fermented-Vegetables-Creative-Fermenting-Chutneys/dp/1612124259/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505242570&sr=8-1&keywords=fermented+vegetables

Offline David in MN

• Survivor
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2017, 05:47:49 AM »
Thanks for the relish recipes! Do I need pickle cukes or can I use regular ones? (I lost my telegraphs to leaf mold)

My garden is still producing a few habaneros - any ever tried adding them to a pickle or kraut recipe?

You can add peppers to almost anything. But you will scare off anyone who doesn't like spice. My grandmother was fond of adding peppers or horseradish to things she pickled. And it scared off half the family. Stubborn old Germans are like that.
"See the problem with statements like that is it scares off a lot of good people who deserve the investment returns that are only available in the stock market." Freelancer