Author Topic: Need ideas how to turn a drill into a wood lathe  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Need ideas how to turn a drill into a wood lathe
« on: October 30, 2015, 12:55:30 PM »
actually, I need SOUND and safe ideas.

I want to turn a wooden handle out of a 1.5x1.5x5" block of beech.
Right of my head I would clamp the drill into a vice, make a hole through and through in the woop piece, and use a bolt as an turning axle.
After removing as much as wood wth a draw knife of course.

But are there any other ways?
This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCaGW9z4blM seems to be too much for me.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Need ideas how to turn a drill into a wood lathe
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 01:30:14 PM »
I don't know if he made a lathe but Izzy Swan on Youtube makes a lot of groovy drill powered items.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Do you need a contour shape or just a dowel? You could use a router with a roundover bit (old furniture trick to go from square to circular cross section) or use a handplane and slowly work it down. With little more than a plane, a dremel, and a chisel you could do a lot of custom handle work. Depends what you're looking for.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 01:56:48 PM »
I've seen articles on using a drill press for turning drawer pulls, which seemed safe and doable, but I wouldn't want to use it on something as long as a handle. A drill in a vise or fixture would be even worse, I'd avoid it.

I've done David's round over trick, with good results, and you could set it up to give the handle a little rectangular shape that gives you a better grip. I've also had good luck with a rasp and sandpaper and eyeballing the piece as I rotated it by hand.

nkawtg

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
I don't know if he made a lathe but Izzy Swan on Youtube makes a lot of groovy drill powered items.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Do you need a contour shape or just a dowel? You could use a router with a roundover bit (old furniture trick to go from square to circular cross section) or use a handplane and slowly work it down. With little more than a plane, a dremel, and a chisel you could do a lot of custom handle work. Depends what you're looking for.

Yep, check out Izzy's youtube page.

Offline xxdabroxx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Dave's not here.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 03:53:45 PM »
If you built a wooden frame long "U" shaped with a pointy bit in the drill, maybe a counter sink, and a threaded rod with pointed end on the opposite side of the "U" im sure you could create some pressure against the drill and run it like a lathe.  My description is a bit rough but maybe something you could run with.  May need to be box shaped to get enough strength.

Google "drill lathe" and quite a few pics come up. 

Offline SelfSufficientPath

• Prepper
  • selfsufficientpath.com
    • Self Sufficient Path
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 12:21:07 PM »
Doesn't sound feasible to me.  I can see how you could set up a tailstock.  The tool rest would probably be doable.  Also, I don't think a drill would give you sufficient speed to do real turning.  Finally, and I'm no safety sally, I've gotta point out the safety concerns.  All fun and games until someone gets nicknamed Cyclops.

Check out Craigslist.  I'd bet you could find an old lather in need of some TLC for $30 or less.  Then you've got another tool and another skill to learn.