Author Topic: Premium E-mail Services  (Read 2160 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Premium E-mail Services
« on: October 26, 2015, 10:58:08 AM »
NOTE: Mods - I had no idea where to put this. It was a toss up between Communications, Campfire, and here, move if needed

I'm tired of free e-mail services and really looking at a premium service. The thought of a little more secure, less snoopy provider is appealing and being able to have my own domain is a plus as I know some providers offer that.

I'm currently looking at fastmail as they seem to have a reasonable price and offer a good product with features. Are there other options I should consider?

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Premium E-mail Services
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:21:26 PM »
https://protonmail.com/ offers free (for now) secure email.. Not sure you can forward your own domain to it.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 09:43:36 PM »
how secure are emails at your own domain? after all you pay for the domain and the site hosting etc

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 09:59:41 PM »
I worded that wrong, sorry. I don't have my own domain, but from what I read about fastmail it seemed like I could pick my own domain within their system (maybe I misunderstood what they were saying?). I don't have any personal hosting of anything.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 08:11:08 AM »
Anyone that you send an email to will be able to divulge the content of that email, as will their provider. It's all fine and good to have an email server in Switzerland, but it's really not going to help much, imho. You think we don't monitor all traffic that comes in and out of this country? Just because we don't have a great firewall that blocks stuff, like China, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
If I want "privacy", I make a phone call. If I *really* want privacy, I use peer-reviewed encryption like pgp/gpg/OTR or just meet the person in person. That or the tried and true one time pad.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:12:04 AM »
Anyone that you send an email to will be able to divulge the content of that email, as will their provider. It's all fine and good to have an email server in Switzerland, but it's really not going to help much, imho. You think we don't monitor all traffic that comes in and out of this country? Just because we don't have a great firewall that blocks stuff, like China, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
If I want "privacy", I make a phone call. If I *really* want privacy, I use peer-reviewed encryption like pgp/gpg/OTR or just meet the person in person. That or the tried and true one time pad.

from their security faq page. Also, email sent to outside users can be setup to be a passworded link back to one of their servers.
FAQ page:

Messages are stored on ProtonMail servers in encrypted format. They are also transmitted in encrypted format between our servers and user devices. Messages between ProtonMail users are also transmitted in encrypted form within our secure server network. Because data is encrypted at all steps, the risk of message interception is largely eliminated.
ProtonMail’s segregated authentication and decryption system means logging into a ProtonMail private email account requires two passwords. The first password is used to verify the identity of the user. After that, encrypted data can be retrieved. The second password is a decryption password which is never sent to us. It is used to decrypt data on your device so we do not have access to the decrypted data, or the decryption password. This means we cannot hand over your data to third parties. For this reason, we are also unable to do decryption password recovery. If you forget your decryption password, we cannot recover your data.
We use only secure implementations of AES, RSA, along with OpenPGP. Furthermore, all of the cryptographic libraries we use are open source. By using open source libraries, we can guarantee that the encryption algorithms we are using do not have clandestinely built in back doors. ProtonMail's open source software has been thoroughly vetted by security experts from around the world to ensure the highest levels of protection.