Author Topic: Ladies' community garden/knitting/canning circle  (Read 18040 times)

Offline mrs gator

• Survivor
Re: Ladies' community garden/knitting/canning circle
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 07:10:44 PM »
Hi there Rosesandtea,

I didn't feel the need to prepare for Y2K.  We did the usual thing, we've always bought in bulk, but nothing out of the ordinary. 
I suspect any real apocalyptic events will happen unexpectedly.  And I kinda think Jack's right about the slow decline. 

As for chickens, that's cool; I hope to have chickens in the next two years.  But prepping is time-consuming, so right now my greatest difficulty is organizing and time-management.  I really, really want to learn to spin, though.

Here's a funny blog on apocalypse knitting (foul language advisory :o):
http://redshirtknitting.com/?tag=survival-knitting

I completely agree with you there. I don't think anyone can predict specific days for that matter either.

coffecat

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2009, 08:19:45 PM »
Got interested in making braided rugs.  First one was with denim - my daughter's abandoned jeans.  Came out ok but apparently the round is harder to make so it lays flat.  Made a 2nd one of old washed-a-million-times sheets and it came out very very nice - an oval, bathroom rug.  Used quilting heavier thread to sew it together and improved on my sewing of the braids.  Came out great.  In process of ironing strips to use for a green rug now.  Have scraps-will do.  C

Kara

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009, 06:29:58 AM »
Hi Coffecat,

That's a fabulous idea. My kids are teenagers and I am constantly having to replace their jeans as they grow so fast. I was going to give some of them to good will, but perhaps I will try my hand at the rug thing. Can you recommend an instructional resource for someone new to this?

Offline Kellib

• Survivor
    • homestead101
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 05:44:01 PM »
Love the rug idea, do you have any more info? Maybe some instructions?

Notsonutso

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 11:26:39 AM »

The rag rug brought back memories!  When I was a kid, the 'junk man' used to push a cart through our neighborhood and mom would trade things for rags so she could make rugs.  My mom used to make them but never passed the art on to us kids.  Having grown up in the depression, I'm sure she thought it would never, ever be needed again...sigh.  I just spent the last hour googling and reading.  I love that I can recycle old clothes this way. I found this site with video for beginners...looks easy.  http://ragrugcafe.com/toothbrush-rugs-complete-video-instructions-part-1-beginners 

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »
Thanks sooo much for the video website, Notsonutso.  I may start doing it again.  It's a great option to save on expensive doormats in the country.

sage0925

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 12:38:53 AM »
Hihi...I live in the Idaho mountains...summer days very hot (110 sometimes) and summer nights can go down to 40. Looking for a red pepper type that can stand these extremes. Any suggestions? Short growing season, too. Have found some tomatoes I think will make it, but not having much luck with red bell peppers.

And thanks for the rag rug idea. My husband goes through socks like nobody's business. And, speaking of, does anybody know how to darn? I haven't a clue. Can you even darn socks that are made commercially? Although, if my husband would clip his toenails a little more regularly...it's always the toes that get worn out, not the heel.

Thanks!
Sage

sage0925

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 11:21:34 PM »
I just bought a pair of circular knitting needles today...my knitting is rudimentary at best...can anyone give me a link or some advice on knitting socks? I know how to do the basic knit...and know how to purl...can drop or add stitches...but can't find a good pattern.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 12:00:02 AM »
I just bought a pair of circular knitting needles today...my knitting is rudimentary at best...can anyone give me a link or some advice on knitting socks? I know how to do the basic knit...and know how to purl...can drop or add stitches...but can't find a good pattern.

sage!  I completely forgot that I was going to post sock stuff for you!

Okay... *sets my knitting on my lap and moves my crochet work off the keyboard to answer your question*

Go to http://www.ravelry.com and request an invitation.  Once you get your invitation (mine took 3 days, sometimes it takes a little less than that, depending on how many people are in the queue), sign in, and do a people search for "sisterwolf".  That's me.  Add me as a friend.

Then, once you've done that, go on a pattern search!  Most patterns on ravelry are free.  There are THOUSANDS of patterns for both knitting and for crochet.  When you find one you like, mark it as a favorite, so that you don't have to go searching all over heck to find it again.

And if you need help once you're there, shoot me a PM, or post here in the ladies board, and ask questions.  Nothing would make me happier than to show off my second favorite website on the internet (TSP being my first favorite, of course) ;)

sage0925

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 12:12:39 AM »
Thank you very much, Sister...the only size needles I could find were #10, but I live in Idaho, so that would be good for winter socks. I hate cold feet. I may need help...as I said, my knitting is only rudimentary...some of these patterns leave my head full of questions marks...lol. Sewing patterns I can generally either figure out, or work my way around.

I just hate to buy anything I could make...and if the SHTF...thinking socks would make an excellent trade item up here, no? And knitted socks are so much easier to darn.

Know any place that I could get smaller needles?

sage0925

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 12:23:27 AM »
And Sister...apparently they've automated their system...got in right away!

sage0925

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2009, 12:26:44 AM »
The only place I'm really going to have trouble with is the heel.

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2009, 12:23:57 PM »
I know that wasn't directed at me, but I had to go check out the ravelry... WOW!  So much style and talent!  I've got to learn cables now.  (and I added you as a friend, SW.  :)   

Sage, on the peppers, mine have done poorly in this heat and drought; I'm growing some in containers to keep on the porch if that's of any value to you.  Last year my lone pepper plant that survived had one small pepper before the frost killed it.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »
I know that wasn't directed at me, but I had to go check out the ravelry... WOW!  So much style and talent!  I've got to learn cables now.  (and I added you as a friend, SW.  :)   

It was directed at everybody!  I added you as a friend back, and sent you a little message too.  :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »
Years ago, as a young bride, my husband's German step-grandmother showed me how to darn socks... It is really a very simple process that could be very useful in a post-SHTF lifestyle. I know that socks are one thing my boys and husband go through very quickly (mostly because they wear them around the house, the yard, anywhere and wear holes in them because they can't be bothered to put on shoes).

I'll try to put a little demonstration thing with photos together if there is interest in this...

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
  • Actually, no one owes you crap.
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2009, 03:06:35 PM »
Ya - socks - I REALLY want to learn how to make them! 

I've crochetted all my life, but knitting had eluded me until a girlfriend inspired me last fall and showed me the ropes again - and for some reason it took this time!  Then I went to a yarn shop and bought a book called "Stitch and Bitch" for the long drive home (in the passenger seat of course) and reviewed and tried some new things that Rachael hadn't had time to show me (or that I wasn't ready for yet!)  That book is excellent for breaking it down and explaining it simply!

SisterWolf - thanks for the web site tip - I'll have to go there for the sock recipe!   :)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2009, 03:20:45 PM »
Stitch and Bitch is an AWESOME book, wyochrissy!  So is "son of stitch and bitch".  Great stuff there.

If you get on ravelry, gimme a holler, and I'll add you as a friend.  :)

Offline wyochrissy

• Survivor
  • Actually, no one owes you crap.
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
Stitch and Bitch is an AWESOME book, wyochrissy!  So is "son of stitch and bitch".  Great stuff there.

If you get on ravelry, gimme a holler, and I'll add you as a friend.  :)

Ya - I'm there!  Just requested you as a friend . . .   :) 

I probably won't get to do much knitting in the next month or so while we're moving and getting settled, but once hockey season gets underway, I'll be stitching like a mad woman!

I wonder if Sarah Palin knits while her kids practice?.  . . . :D

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2009, 04:27:13 PM »
I wonder if Sarah Palin knits while her kids practice?.  . . . :D

We'll just assume she does.  ;D

Soapy

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2009, 07:28:53 PM »
Hey everyone!

I live in Atlantic Canada. I've been listening to Jack since Jan. '09 and finally got up the nerve to join the forum today. I feel pretty comfortable with the domestic arts so thought this would be a really good place to send my first post. I hope it's OK to start randomly like this.

We are putting most of our energy into renovating an old farmhouse and haven't taken time to put in much of a garden yet, or to start collecting livestock. But in our last house I learned the basics of canning, soap making, milking goats, raising chickens and meat rabbits, squarefoot gardening and living without running water or indoor plumbing (my least fond memory). It's been a while and I am rusty which is why it's taken so long for me to join the forum. I don't have much to offer. But hopefully it will be like riding a bicycle. Once learned, never forgotten.

I really enjoyed the fax harvesting video. There is a small studio in our house where I teach sewing to elementary age children. Fabric and fibers? ... love 'em! Last year I tried felting in the washing machine which was pretty cool.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you all.

Soapy

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2009, 09:08:30 PM »
Welcome, soapy!!!!  PLEASE go by the introduction thread, and introduce yourself!  We don't bite, I pinky promise.  ;D

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2009, 12:23:20 AM »
Thanks for the link SW, I'll add myself on there as well.

Welcome Soapy! If you are making Goat's Milk soap let me know, so I can ask you all sorts of silly and pointedly obvious questions. ;)

That stated gals, there's no stopping us from trying to do our of virtual circle, all we need is a quiet place, a headset and Skype. Maybe I'm just adding this because I'm not on the West Coast and so I'd be missing out. :)

Soapy

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2009, 10:55:46 AM »
Welcome Soapy! If you are making Goat's Milk soap let me know, so I can ask you all sorts of silly and pointedly obvious questions.

Thanks, Ebonearth! Do you have dairy goats? If you are using fresh goat's milk there are a few things to consider like temperature, time invested (it takes longer than if you were using water to make soap) and the smell. I sure would like to help you with this, and I especially enjoy pointedly obvious questions  :)

soapy

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »
Welcome Soapy.  I try not to let a day go by that I don't thank the Great Spirit for running water.  I'd love to hear your stories.  :)

Kara

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2009, 05:17:05 PM »
I have a question about homemade soap. I noticed that store-bought soap leaves a terrible soap scum on everything, especially with water like ours which is as hard as rocks. Does homemade soap do the same thing, or is it easier on the whole issue of soap scum in the tub? I've gone to using shower gels completely, even though I like bar soap, because I hate having to constantly scrub the soap scum off the tub.

Thanks!
Wintersparrow

Soapy

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2009, 09:48:05 AM »
I have a question about homemade soap. I noticed that store-bought soap leaves a terrible soap scum on everything, especially with water like ours which is as hard as rocks. Does homemade soap do the same thing, or is it easier on the whole issue of soap scum in the tub?

Thanks!
Wintersparrow

Yup, it leaves scum, but it's biodegradable scum which makes it sound sooo much better.

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »
I know that wasn't directed at me, but I had to go check out Ravelry. Holy cow, and I added you as a friend, SW.  Hope you don't mind! I really liked the fingerless mitts and decided I should make a pair. Also found a crochet pattern for simple fingerless mitts at crochetme.com, which is a really cool website as well.

swoods

[/quote]

Gloria

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2009, 06:31:46 PM »
WOW, do you suppose we could make this a sub group of TSP?  Then we could ask and answer questions.  I live in Southeastern
Arizona, about 30 miles from NM and 100 from Mexico.  I live where the cotton grows right out my front door, 150 acres in this plot and then across the road.  Within 60 we have two gins.  In order to spin and weave cotton first you card the cotton.  That's why the gins.  There are seeds and burrs in the cotton bowls.  You can hand card the cotton, but the seeds and burrs cut your hands and fingers.  Tape your fingers before you start.  Do not leave the cotton lying around, it has been sprayed by chemicals and this could harm pets and other animals.  Sack in a gunny sack, put the pieces of stem, seeds in another sack.  Then wash and shrink the cotton puffs.  Then spin on a spindle.  You can crochet the spindle thread, you can also weave the thread into fabric.  I have many looms,  My wide loom makes 36 inch pieces of material.  You can take and make the loom bigger and smaller.  Mine is a small standing loom.  I have three hand looms that can make rugs.  I have one for belts as well,  I started with the small squares and then my grandmother graduated me to the hanging looms.  My mother gave me her standing loom. 
I crochet, knit, sew, quilt, and do general crafts for a living.  Right now I have three knitting baby sets for customers.

You can make more than rugs with jeans you can make purses, aprons, quilts, back packs, cozies for your weapons that you are storing out of prying eyes, placemats, roll up holders for the knitting needles and crochet hooks, trunk holders for the emergency road tools, coin purses and belts.

I have lined my quilts with the blankets that get ripped and worn.  My granmothers did this as well.  The original batting was made of cotton that was carded into big rolls of puff so if you wanted it not to bunch you had to quilt it down.  Where as you can tack it down if you have blankets, towels, and sheets.  They called that tie quilts.

I already have those rocking chairs, they're re on the front deck and we reload on the front porch.  They are rocking yard chars.  I keep the customers work inside to save it from the dirt of which we have more than enough.  heh heh.

I can also make paper, can, make jellies.

I got my first tomatoes this year. YEAH.  Before using the Mittleider Gardening Method I couldn't even do this.  It's the raised garden method.

Flax and linen have to be dried, before you start the process.  You have to pound the stems to get the strings.  It involves a lot of work. 

I can also do leather.  The line got drawn with the snake still wiggling and rattling.  But once dead we salted the skin. 

This is such a great topic.  I'm glad it was brought up.  Thanks.

Oh free patterns for crochet and knitting can be found at most of the yarn companies, Lion Brand is free and so is Coats and Clarks.
I will look for free pattern sites and post them later.  It's time to feed the family. :>)  Eatting together is my hard fast rule. :>))

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2009, 09:30:55 PM »
Thanks, Gloria.  You make me think of one of my favorite books, The Goat in the Rug, about a Navajo (Dine?) weaver and her goat, Geraldine, from Window Rock, AZ.  We live among cotton fields as well (though the crops are rotated, so they only grow cotton every three years, I think.)  I hope I have time one year to look into learning to spin. 

I'd love to hear what you have to say about tanning.  I did a deer hide last year, but I couldn't break it down enough to keep it from hardening, so it's waiting dried in the attic until I get a break in the action.  I've got three more in the deep freeze that are waiting for cooler weather to flesh (b/c of the flies  :P)

How did you build up your customer base?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2009, 09:33:16 PM »
WOW, do you suppose we could make this a sub group of TSP?  Then we could ask and answer questions. 

Gloria, the Needles & Strings board is already a sub group of TSP (you can find it under "do it yourself")  and gardening also has its own section.  Don't be afraid to ask and answer questions in either of those places!