Poll

Which threats are you currently most inclined to prepare for?

Nuclear / bio / chemical
2 (1.8%)
Violent crime
8 (7.2%)
Economic collapse
18 (16.2%)
Natural disasters
26 (23.4%)
Military conflict at home
0 (0%)
Police state
1 (0.9%)
Food crisis
11 (9.9%)
Personal crisis
24 (21.6%)
Societal anarchy / chaos
6 (5.4%)
Terror outbreak
5 (4.5%)
Disease pandemic
5 (4.5%)
Water shortage
4 (3.6%)
Climate change
1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: November 26, 2015, 09:07:39 AM

Author Topic: Poll: Which threats are you currently most inclined to prepare for?  (Read 6892 times)

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
    • Safecastle's Preparedness Buyers Club
Chances are, you are serious about your crisis preparedness. You may have in mind a number of general major crisis-types that you hope to be able to redress with your current prepping efforts.

Some of us only picture the very worst-case scenario, while many preppers do realize that major crises can and do happen that do not result in TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) and that survivors must and do carry on.

At Safecastle, we thought it would be interesting to try to determine the general threats that serious preppers today see as currently most important to try to mitigate.

This poll allows you to choose three of the following threats you see as most important to be ready for (admittedly, there is some overlap in defining some of these).

We are conducting this same poll at several preparedness-related discussion forums. Overall results may paint a picture of the "default" crises we see as being most important to be ready for, and/or most relevant today.

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Poll: Which threats are you currently most inclined to prepare for?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
When you have aggregated the data from all of your sites it would be very interesting if you could post the results. Thanks.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 09:46:42 AM »
When you have aggregated the data from all of your sites it would be very interesting if you could post the results. Thanks.

Yes, this would be interesting to see.

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 01:54:46 PM »
Yep--I plan to do that.

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 01:43:38 PM »
My top three threats I prep for:  Economic collapse, Societal anarchy/chaos, Nuclear/bio/chem

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 07:29:13 AM »
Response rate here at TSP is very weak compared to the other four forums.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »
my top ones are: food crisis, personal crisis, water

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »
Response rate here at TSP is very weak compared to the other four forums.
Hmm, I don't doubt it.  Here we're more of an all-purpose preparedness bunch, as in the quote from Jack "If times get bad, or even if they don't."  In a way, even picking out a threat (or three here) is to say "I fear _______."  But for the most part, we've moved on past fear into a general recognition that good times don't last forever and that it's wise to have some skills and supplies to fall back on, while not obsessing over specific hypothetical bad events.

I'm not trying to lecture here, but just trying to explain where we're coming from, and why the poll's having a relatively low turnout.  I'm curious, what other forums are you active on?  I might want to take a look at them and possibly join, because you never know, a different viewpoint can be a refreshing thing.

Having said all that, I checked Natural Disasters, Violent Crime, and Economic Collapse.  And though there's no ranking in the poll, I'll rank them in that order because (1) the long-term average where I live is 1-in-30 chance of a killer hurricane every summer, (2) violent crime is more an incident than a general prepping disaster, but hey, I go to New Orleans pretty often and I also spend a lot of time at the range so I guess that's a specific one to check, and (3) our economy is a house of cards, our 'leadership' shows no chance of acting responsibly, and things could run another 50 decades or pop tomorrow, no way to know.  As for the rest, they're pretty well covered by general prepping, with maybe $10's worth of this to cover this base, or a little extra gear or skill there to cover that concern.

Now I am really curious as to how other forums are polling on this, and what those forums are about!  Please keep us posted, and thanks for poking at this and getting me to actually vote in it.

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 07:21:18 PM »
I was not able to cast vote for some reason. So here are mine.

Economic Collapse: this could be a cause or an effect type event.
Food Shortages: train and trucks slow or stop for some reason.
Natural Disasters: we get a heavy amont of snow in my area. Learn from the people who learned the hard way in ATL 2 years ago.

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 06:02:52 AM »
bump

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 05:40:46 PM »
I agree with Alan about the generalist philosophy. I marked natural disaster, crime and personal crisis as I have lived through major ice storms one hurricane and one earthquake. I will probably live through some more natural disaster. I have been caught in reduction in force (laid off) in three different economic down turns. I have not been a victim of major crime but the statistics say the chances are high. While I do that I also live fairly self reliantly which helps for most of the rest.

I would also like to know what other sites you polled on.

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 07:24:06 AM »
bumpski

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 10:59:20 AM »
Personally I checked off Water Shortage, Food Shortage, and Personal.

I think of the end of the world as WE know it.  As my world!  My world would end as I know it, if I lost my job, my wife, one of my kids, or my house.  The "bigger things" (natural disaster, Economic collapse, Terrorism, and so on) are events to cause the things which could be lumped into the personal.  If you look at if form the perspective of a riot would cause what to me, assuming I am not at the wrong place at the wrong time.  I would say destruction of stores and shopping (AKA food Shortage), disruption of the transportation system (food shortage again). If I or a family member is at the wrong place at the wrong time or make a bad decision then we could deal with the loss of loved ones.  Not likely but if they come through my town I could lose the house to fire looters ect.

Similar if you look at the effects on you for each of the major events, save nuc/boi, and look at the effect to you and yours the things to fear goes way down and it is just a change in duration.  A riot would last a week to a month at worst then you adapt to the new norm.  A storm the storm itself is likely over in a day or week, its effects can last a LONG time after that.  Those effects are jobs, housing, food and water shortages.

Does it matter if:

A)  You lost your job to out sourcing of your roll to India, a storm destroying the business, the economy turning belly up, martial law being declared and no more of your product can be sold, or the weekly change in the way the wind is blowing relative to the profit the business is making this quarter.  The effect to you are the same you do not have a job and others in your community may not either.

B) Your wife dies from food poisoning (I will not say her own cooking), a car accident with a Drunk Driver, getting caught in a riot, sliding off the road in an ICE storm or to an pandemic.  You are still a widower and have to take on her role in the house.

C) Your house is destroyed by an earthquake, a fire, a flood, a riot, or collapsing under a 5 foot snow fall you have to find housing and shelter.

WWIII the answer I have there is sit on the roof and watch them fall.  I doubt I would do anything but hide in the basement and blackout the house, but again it boils down to protecting you and yours finding water and food, plus the added of getting and staying clean/decontaminated.

I am sure this could be argued but that is where I see it.  I have started looking at the "things to fear" and breaking them down into possible effects to me and what I need to mitigate those effects scoring and ranking them.  The effects are surprisingly common actually the 7 that Jack keeps talking about. 

That is my 2cents on the topic and the way I talk to people.  That has ended a lot of arguments about prepping for me.  Actually I have gained some respect from some non preppers for that position.  I do not know if it hurts me here but that is my approach.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 04:11:06 PM »
Yup.  Most of the TSP veterans are boring.  We prep for earthquakes, job loss and stuff that FEMA advertises. 
While a zombie apocalypse would be a fun excuse to go rimfire plinking against the undead, most of us are more sensible.

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 10:43:27 AM »
bump

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »
I checked the things that either have happened to me personally, or that happen on a regular basis in cities across the US.  Hurricanes, Tornados, and Earthquarkes happen quite often.  There is always violent crime.  People get fired from a job or come down with cancer, or have heart attacks.

Those are the first things to prep for, because they are the most likely.  Natural disasters often come with temporary food or water issues, so I would have clicked those next.

And heck, if you're prepared for all of those... your preps for any of the other situations are well underway.

endurance

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
It's almost a universal rule for all prepping. Check your stuff; it might not be in the condition you left it in.

It's not just electronics, either. Several years ago I was out and wanted to put another layer on. I pulled out my GHB and discovered that the elastic in my long johns was shot. The heat of several summers had fried it and they were annoying to say the least. Over the years I've discovered empty food stashes (where mice had gotten in), holes in socks where pack rats had needed nesting materials, wires on sump pumps chewed through by various critters, and of course, corroded batteries in compartments that were impossible to remove with anything short of a drill.

Regular inventories can really help, but redundancy for critical items isn't a bad idea either.

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
final bump

Offline JC Refuge

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Prepare & Fortify
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2015, 05:26:19 PM »
Comprehensive results thread, incorporating all discussion forums that participated in this poll: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=56580.msg662450#new