Author Topic: Need Recommendations for High Output LED Flashlight for Ranch  (Read 13712 times)

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
Need Recommendations for High Output LED Flashlight for Ranch
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:41:04 PM »
I'm looking to pick up a high intensity flashlight (>700 lumens) for use at my ranch.  It will be used for outdoor applications where I need to illuminate long distances.  I'd prefer to keep the overall price of the flashlight and batteries below $80.

I want something that's good quality and has a true stated lumen output.

This was one option that Steven Harris recommended over at prep1234.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4WHCS8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00E4WHCS8&linkCode=as2&tag=prep1234-20&linkId=3JKRR6C7BRXRHLZ5

To be honest, I don't know much about the 18650 battery but it seems that the battery will be necessary for this type of light of I want longevity out of the batteries at this output.

Thanks in advance.

endurance

Re: Need Recommendations for High Output LED Flashlight for Ranch
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:36:40 AM »
Personally, for outdoor use and abuse where losing a light is a real possibility, I'm a fan of the cheap DX lights. http://m.dx.com/p/ultrafire-kf-t60-ha-ii-xm-lt60-2-mode-1000-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-x-18650-55910. $50 for two of them, but a nitecore I4 charger with the cigarette lighter adapter and a spare 18650 or two and you come under $80. 18650s are everywhere.  They're rated in Amp Hours (AH). More means more lifespan on a charge. Panasonic leads the pack for lifespan, but they're spendy. Depending on your needs, you might want two sets of 2400ah batteries rather than one set of 3400ah batteries. It depends on your needs. A couple things to be aware of is that you'll always want to buy protected cells, you'll probably want button top batteries (some are smooth and don't work in certain devices), and for maximum safety, avoid the "fire" batteries (ultrafire, Trustfire, etc).  Never toss them on the charger and leave the house. Lithium ion batteries can pose a fire hazard, so be around when they're charging and don't just leave them on the charger to store them. Never put them in a situation where they can short out.

nkawtg

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 06:33:18 AM »
Maglite 3rd gen led

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 07:08:51 AM »
ENDURANCE gave good advise ....I buy less costly lights and good batteries for good economy and more numerous light options.
I use lights like this :

http://www.amazon.com/UltraFire-Lumen-Zoomable-Waterproof-Flashlight/dp/B00KWE4DXY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448460001&sr=1-3&keywords=led+flashlight

and good Panasonic 18650 (they will cost about $10 each for good ones) and with 3400 Mah being about the top chemistry ,I
avoid those that promise more power for less money...especially those with FIRE in the name...I also recommend the charger that
ENDURANCE suggested as I have had great service from mine for a few years.

I suggest at least 1 "D" cell powered Mag Light and rechargeable LSD (Low Self Discharge) cells:  http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Centura-Self-Discharge-LSD-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B0041TEHMS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448460416&sr=8-1&keywords=lsd+d+cell+batteries

At $10 each ,in a light that you USE, the LSD cells excel at economy of use and durability.You will also need a "D" cell charger.

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
I got this one recently: Fenix TK41 Flashlight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XN3FHA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I power it with 8 eneloop AA batteries. Its pretty awesome on the homestead.

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:06:00 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm looking into these now.

Special thanks to Endurance for the 18650 overview.  I was worried about chargers for these batteries and did plan on only buying the higher end versions of these (i.e. Panasonic).

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:09:41 AM »
Personally, for outdoor use and abuse where losing a light is a real possibility, I'm a fan of the cheap DX lights. http://m.dx.com/p/ultrafire-kf-t60-ha-ii-xm-lt60-2-mode-1000-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-x-18650-55910.

You prefer the Ultrafire E16 over the E17 or even the new E16?  Sounds like whatever I buy you recommend picking up the flashlight and charger separately so I ensure that I get a good charger, is that right?

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 09:10:29 AM »
You prefer the Ultrafire E16 over the E17 or even the new E16?  Sounds like whatever I buy you recommend picking up the flashlight and charger separately so I ensure that I get a good charger, is that right?

...oooops, this question was for Carl.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 09:23:25 AM »
I really don't let brand or 'promises' sway me as to lumen numbers etc.I buy lower cost lights and find what works for me and I don't skimp on the batteries or the charger...I feel that a half dozen cheap lights serve me better than a high dollar light...the same way I like my FOSSIL watch over the outrageously overpriced ROLEX...who cares if it will survive a nuke blast....I won't and I can always buy another medium cost watch.

The high dollar lights will fail you ,just as fast as a budget light...I just refuse to pay the high price for that last small percentage of performance.

endurance

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 12:00:49 PM »
I'm with Carl on the various DX brands. Do yourself a favor and don't get something that is five mode. That means you have to scroll through High-medium-low-strobe-SOS everytime you want to turn it off. Two modes, High-Low are perfect. Lumens are all theoretical anyway, not what is actually coming out the front. You can spend three times as much for a really nice reflector and lens and might gain 100 lumens. The human eye can't really tell the difference between 900 and 1000 lumens anyway, so don't get caught up in that.

I believe Sanyo is also another high end 18650 brand to look at.

Because I'm on two volunteer fire departments and need two sets of gear, plus lights for the coyote gun, the light on the night stand, the light next to the front door, and the lights in each car, I have probably 15 18650s now. Most are 2400mah, a few are 3200-3400mah, and I carry spares where they're critical. My high end batteries are for my critical applications, like my fire gear, the rest, I go cheap.

The only pitfall I'll say about these cheaper lights is the switch. They're cheap and not momentary on. I've had two fail over the years, but after years of service. However, because they don't have a momentary on, they're not ideal for tactical stuff. You can click them on, then partially press in and they'll turn off until you release, but it's not ideal. If you're looking for a high end tactical light, look at Olight, JetBeam or Sunwayman. All three are great lights, a lot cheaper than the surefires and other name brands, but IMHO, they're not worth it for your purposes of field work.

Finally, a few years ago I was taking a tactical class and dropped my light. I went to pick it up when the instructor told me to engage the target that I was way too close to already. I realized I'd compromised my safety to pick up my $60 light. After the fact, I told myself if it was real world and I knew there was a threat, I'll buy another flashlight. I still carry a higher end light for edc, but after three years of service, if I lose it today, it's all good. For that reason, I think it's worth reminding yourself that anything you own should be disposable if retrieving it might put you in a bad position. A cheap light makes this decision a lot easier.

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 12:51:05 PM »
I'm with Carl on the various DX brands. Do yourself a favor and don't get something that is five mode. That means you have to scroll through High-medium-low-strobe-SOS everytime you want to turn it off. Two modes, High-Low are perfect. Lumens are all theoretical anyway, not what is actually coming out the front. You can spend three times as much for a really nice reflector and lens and might gain 100 lumens. The human eye can't really tell the difference between 900 and 1000 lumens anyway, so don't get caught up in that.

I believe Sanyo is also another high end 18650 brand to look at.

Because I'm on two volunteer fire departments and need two sets of gear, plus lights for the coyote gun, the light on the night stand, the light next to the front door, and the lights in each car, I have probably 15 18650s now. Most are 2400mah, a few are 3200-3400mah, and I carry spares where they're critical. My high end batteries are for my critical applications, like my fire gear, the rest, I go cheap.

The only pitfall I'll say about these cheaper lights is the switch. They're cheap and not momentary on. I've had two fail over the years, but after years of service. However, because they don't have a momentary on, they're not ideal for tactical stuff. You can click them on, then partially press in and they'll turn off until you release, but it's not ideal. If you're looking for a high end tactical light, look at Olight, JetBeam or Sunwayman. All three are great lights, a lot cheaper than the surefires and other name brands, but IMHO, they're not worth it for your purposes of field work.

Finally, a few years ago I was taking a tactical class and dropped my light. I went to pick it up when the instructor told me to engage the target that I was way too close to already. I realized I'd compromised my safety to pick up my $60 light. After the fact, I told myself if it was real world and I knew there was a threat, I'll buy another flashlight. I still carry a higher end light for edc, but after three years of service, if I lose it today, it's all good. For that reason, I think it's worth reminding yourself that anything you own should be disposable if retrieving it might put you in a bad position. A cheap light makes this decision a lot easier.

All very good points...well thought out.

Tactical lights and momentary on/off switches are outside the scope of this search for a light.  I did realize however that I do need a good, small tactical light to start carrying with me.  I carry a Foursevens Atom AL every day and I absolutely love it, it's an amazing EDC light and has saved my ass many times but it's not for tactical or self defense purposes at all.  I'm supposed to take a low light handgun course in the next couple moments, hopefully I'll be able to find a "tactical" light that works for me by then.

I'll pick up a DX this week and give it a shot.  Thanks for all the input.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 02:23:07 PM »
I'm a fan of my Fenix UC30. It's a rechargeable (USB) flashlight that can peak out at 960 lumens. It's bright, and really works well.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/uc30-fenix-flashlight/

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »
As the flashlight expert of the forum, i will +1 all suggestions so far BUT the zoomable flashlights...
I have done measurements on them and you won't believe the light you are missing on the zoom mechanism.
Stay away!

For an budget flashlight look no further than the Convoy C8 gen II you can buy from Banggood.com

if you do not like the multimodes with strobe etc, you can opt for this
http://intl-outdoor.com/xintd-c8-v5-xml2-u4-multioption-18650-flashlight-p-308.html
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=80&product_id=110
you can order it as you like it and has a lot of esoteric flashlight improvements, we modders, only dreamed of a few years back.

I will suggest forward clickie/neutral wide and 4 modes

Lastly, i will repeat...get yourself a brand name charger and good protected batteries (see my other post 2 days back)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:57:33 PM by Greekman »

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 08:00:28 AM »
For an budget flashlight look no further than the Convoy C8 gen II you can buy from Banggood.com

Wow.   Those are some incredible specs for the price.   One key thing is the IPX-8 waterproof rating.  Call me obsessed but I generally only buy water submersible electronics now.  To see a $20 light with an IPX-8 rating is awesome.

What is everyone's take on laser designators?  With prices dropping towards the $100 mark they are becoming much more affordable.   I have some weapon mounted ones (specifically laser genetics nd3p and nd3ar) which are awesome for that application. But what about a handheld option for a situation like this?   I have also been toying with the idea of mounting one on binoculars for 200 yard+ viewing at night.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:14:13 AM by iam4liberty »

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 08:15:57 AM »
take note that IPX-8 is static submersion only. There is no guarantee when you start sloshing around the flashlight.
Not that there are any flashlights with a higher rating. (excluding the dive lights)

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 03:40:28 PM »
Just purchased the following:

Nitecore D4 w/ car charging kit
2 Simon 3400mAh 18650 PROTECTED Panasonic Rechargeable Batteries
UltraFire E17 Cree XM-L T6 2000 Lumen Zoomable and Waterproof LED Flashlight

We'll start with those and see where it gets me.  Thanks to all for the advice.  I'll come back here again if I feel I need something different than what I purchased. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

endurance

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »
Cool. I look forward to hearing your impressions when you get set up.

Offline date_a_prepper

• Prepper
    • Date A Prepper
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 05:19:02 PM »
I don't believe you can find better than this small flashlight for tactical use. Link below.
https://products.nationalprotectionassociation.org/order5954311 for big bucks, or get several for less money at:
http://www.banggood.com/MECO-CREE-XML-T6-1600LM-5-Mode-Zoomable-LED-Flashlight-1x18650-p-982565.html

Just an old soldiers opinion.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 05:49:11 PM by date_a_prepper »

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 10:07:23 PM »
I don't believe you can find better than this small flashlight for tactical use. Link below.
https://products.nationalprotectionassociation.org/order5954311 for big bucks, or get several for less money at:
http://www.banggood.com/MECO-CREE-XML-T6-1600LM-5-Mode-Zoomable-LED-Flashlight-1x18650-p-982565.html

Just an old soldiers opinion.

Those both look exactly like the flashlight I bought today.

Offline date_a_prepper

• Prepper
    • Date A Prepper
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2015, 06:42:57 AM »
Well you hopefully got yourself a good flashlight. The first link goes to the G700, big price but does come with a side carry pouch, hard case, and the option to purchase chargers and batteries; second is the same flashlight for a much lower price, without the name, or convenient extras.

I use my G700 all the time and love it.

Offline Missed Me

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2015, 02:45:25 PM »
I got this one recently: Fenix TK41 Flashlight.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XN3FHA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I power it with 8 eneloop AA batteries. Its pretty awesome on the homestead.

+1

Very bright high. Usable low. The size of an old 2D light. 8AA batteries. Only dislike so far is batteries are held in a battery housing which slides into light. a drop of that might be bad on the tabs. Strobe is very effective when unexpected ask me how i know. Or ask my wife LOL! Low power 10 days. High power 1.4 hrs i think. I got mine for $99 but couldnt find that now. Works great with eneloops.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 11:57:00 PM »
that reminds me...
there are also 4xAA flashlight options.
they are the cheapest and easiest method to get High power illumination for those that refuse the 18650 lithium ions.
Fenix and Nitecore have some pretty nice options

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 09:21:02 AM »
I'm jumping feet first into the lithium ion world......

Should have these by Wed.

Ultrafire e20
8 Panasonic 18650
2 ultrafire sk98 ( single cell 18650 light)
Nitecore D2 charger

All for just under $100

Thanks all for the info.

endurance

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2015, 10:34:30 AM »
A new discovery for me in the last week was the Klarus CH-1 charger. It's a single cell usb charger that chan charge your 18650, rcr123, and other lithium ion cells from a micro-USB input. That means you can charge the battery from your computer usb output, your cigarette lighter, or any other USB output. However, the real gem about this unit is it also has a USB output, so you can use a charged 18650, rcr123 or even a primary cr123 and charge your cell phone from it!  It's $10 on amazon and to me, for the versatility it adds to a guy who has oodles of 18650s for flashlights, it's a win.  Now I can pull that spare 18650 and have an emergency cell phone charger available in a package not much larger than the phone itself. I can even use a cr123 for a 35-40% charge in a pinch. To me, this is almost a must have. I plan on picking up another for my car.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2015, 11:42:31 AM »
A new discovery for me in the last week was the Klarus CH-1 charger. It's a single cell usb charger that chan charge your 18650, rcr123, and other lithium ion cells from a micro-USB input. That means you can charge the battery from your computer usb output, your cigarette lighter, or any other USB output. However, the real gem about this unit is it also has a USB output, so you can use a charged 18650, rcr123 or even a primary cr123 and charge your cell phone from it!  It's $10 on amazon and to me, for the versatility it adds to a guy who has oodles of 18650s for flashlights, it's a win.  Now I can pull that spare 18650 and have an emergency cell phone charger available in a package not much larger than the phone itself. I can even use a cr123 for a 35-40% charge in a pinch. To me, this is almost a must have. I plan on picking up another for my car.

Endurance is a good salesman. I bought two. Fit and finish are nothing to write home about, but the form factor and function rock.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2015, 11:54:49 AM »

Damm....back to Amazon...

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2015, 11:57:34 AM »
ahh! too late....
This charger has an issue. It charges at 1000mAh ONLY. That it is too much for AAA, RCR123 etc.
So Charging  these batteries hould not be on your plans.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?401299-Test-Review-of-Charger-Klarus-CH1
always advise the Danish guy first...

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 07:57:18 PM »
Thanks all for the information.

The combination of LED and ion tech...makes one hell of a flashlight.

I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2019, 01:16:40 PM »
Does anyone want to provide updated information/recommendations for a good-quality flashlight?

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2019, 01:59:26 PM »
I still love my UC35 from Fenix. They have a Gen2 that goes up to 1k lumens and it recharges from USB. Fantastic little rechargeable that won't break the bank at ~$90.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/fenix-uc35-v2-rechargeable-flashlight/