Author Topic: Where do you keep your Berkey  (Read 8048 times)

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Where do you keep your Berkey
« on: January 01, 2016, 09:51:46 AM »
A prepping goal for 2016: I want to get and use a Berkey-type water filter. Our kitchen is tiny, and it won't fit under the kitchen cabinets. DH is not going to go for it on the kitchen island. But out of sight, out of mind...I'm trying to figure out where to put it so we will actually use it and not just keep it in the box for a SHTF incident.

If you have one, do you use it everyday? Where is it?

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
Re: Where do you keep your Berkey
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:53:38 AM »
Ours is on the counter top as we use it everyday for drinking water.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »
Mine is on the kitchen counter.  I bought a wire"plant" stand to set it on so it is up off the counter high enough to fit a glass under the spigot.  Hubs did have to cut a small piece out of the side of the plant stand so that the spout could stick out. 

Offline Jesse2004

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:40:52 PM »
Ours is on the main counter and while I dislike the counter space given up, it is so nice to have that it is worth it.  The Berkey sits on the front half of my counter (in front of the cabinets, with the spout hanging over the edge.  I'm fortunate, our cabinets are high enough that I was able to buy a unit that let's the doors open just over it. 

Just a thought, you may want to consider setting up your Berkey in your dining room / eating area, don't give up on it. 

Offline AnnsSolo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 09:14:29 AM »
We don't really intend to live in this house forever, and it's in the plan when we rebuild to put it in the pantry, with a filler faucet right above. DH doesn't know that part of the plan  ;) but for now we are living in pretty tight quarters. But I want it now  ;D

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 09:39:06 AM »
Ive got one in my amazon  cart. It hasnt jumped out of there yet.  :-\

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way

Offline DWSDVSE

• Survivor
  • V R S N S M V
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 03:47:16 PM »
On our fridge. Just have to make sure you don't overfill. Keeps little hands off the thing though

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 11:19:44 PM »
I keep it on the counter top by the kitchen sink. Makes it easy to fill as there isn't much distance between it and the kitchen faucet. plus, every time I go the the sink to quickly get some water (water bottles, kids sippy, coffee pot) it is right there. It kind of encourages me to use it more, when I am staring right at it.

Offline Datman01

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
I keep mine on a shelf in the basement, sons job to keep bottles in fridge full.
Keeping it down there seems to keep the water at a constant temp, the water in the fridge we use for cooking and such.

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 06:29:44 PM »
On the counter over the deep sink. Have to fill it with pitchers from the utility room
from a tap I installed ahead of the water softener.
Guess Berkeys don't like softened water. Wasn't part of the original plan but is less
of a bother than I thought it would be.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 06:58:37 PM »
Kitchen counter, nothing special.  Use everyday use for drinking and cooking water, it makes a big difference cleaning up what the city supplies.

Offline Rasher

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
I slightly modified a stand used for those 5 gallon water bottle dispensers. We have the 5 gallon berkey and I use an old 5 gallon bottle to fill it since it's on the other side of the kitchen, away from the sink.

We've had it for more than 10 years and still use it for everything.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 04:54:45 PM »

If you are MSB I believe you get a discount from Jeff for everything Berkey. His CS it's awesome.
Ive got one in my amazon  cart. It hasnt jumped out of there yet.  :-\

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 09:36:21 PM »
MSB?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 11:02:52 PM »
MSB?

Since you asked I'm guessing you aren't aware of the podcast that this forum was created from: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/

Jack has been doing this show for over 8 years (I think). One way to support his show is to purchase a Member's Support Brigade (MSB) membership: http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/members-brigade

Purchasing gets you access to a bunch of e-books and some other stuff, but the big thing is you get discounts to a lot of vendors who deal in the preparedness industry. If you are buying these items it might be well worth it to you. Jeff is known as The Berkey Guy and has his own forum section: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?board=107.0 and his direct site is here: http://www.directive21.com/

He is one of the powerhouse Berkey dealers and has phenomenal customer service. He also sells a lot of other stuff on his site. Here are the discounts that he offers for MSB members:

The Berkey Guy - The Berkey Guy from Directive21 has two offers for TSP Members you can get a free  Berkey Sport Water Bottle with any order over 100 dollars you place of Berkey products.  Retail value 24.99 every time you order from The Berkey Guy.  Please be sure to have at least 100 dollars of products of Berkey Product in your cart. Please add to cart a Sport Berkey water bottle:   It will show 24.99 Then enter coupon code at end of checkout: [CouponCodeNotShownForNonMembers] 24.99 will be credited.

He also offers 10% off all of the Mountain House products with discount code [CouponCodeNotShownForNonMembers].  This discount only applies to Mountain House products on the Berkey Guy's site.  That said the two offers can be used together and both codes applied during checkout. 

There are lots of other discounts to take advantage of as well. I hope this information helps!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 07:49:08 AM »
Hey thanks Binky. I know about the podcast, but haven't dove in very deep.
Also just not aware of you all's abbreviations.

Thanks

Steve

Offline Montag 451

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Ditto what Jesse2004 said for us.
Bought the travel Berke because it *just* fits under the cabinets, with the tap hanging over the sink.
Was somewhat put off when I learned I couldn't fill it with water that's been thru the water
softener. Had to add a tap after the well pump, ahead of the softener.
Having used it for about a year now, have to say we are *very* happy we started using the Berke.
It's not much of an effort to fill the thing, the water tastes great, and will never go back to drinking
bottled or tap water, makes a big difference. One of our best preps.
Point of interest, the first bowl of berke water that our cats tasted disappeared in seconds. They would
lick dew off the car before they would drink the well water before the Berke. Just say'in  :)    Paul   

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2016, 12:58:38 AM »
Why can't you use softened water in a Berkey?

Offline britexport

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »
I use a "Brita" type pitcher, made by clearly filtered/perfect pitcher - smaller and has a very comprehensive filter. Might work for you in the short term until you have more space. Filters a gallon at a time, each filter good for 200 gals. Also get reverse osmosis water from local market. You could filter and use those bottles for storage.

Just a thought

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
I keep it on the counter top by the kitchen sink. Makes it easy to fill as there isn't much distance between it and the kitchen faucet. plus, every time I go the the sink to quickly get some water (water bottles, kids sippy, coffee pot) it is right there. It kind of encourages me to use it more, when I am staring right at it.

Same thing here. I found my son drinks more water because it's out.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 06:06:21 PM »
Why can't you use softened water in a Berkey?

From the information by Berkey:

The Black Berkey purification elements are designed to remove heavy metals, but will not remove mineral salts, which are added by the water softener. We highly recommend that you obtain pre-softened water to use in your Berkey water filtration system.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 07:22:44 PM »
It’s on the Kitchen counter, I filter the water and store the filtered water in one of two 2.5 gallon water containers that are hard plastic which I bring to my camp or put in the RV or I fill my hydro flasks which are 1/2 gallon or various sizes of stainless steel vacuume insulated containers.

My mother refuses to drink berkee filtered water. If I tell her the fluoride has been removed or it’s good for you that a sure bet she won’t want anything to do with it

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 06:38:31 AM »

My mother refuses to drink berkee filtered water. If I tell her the fluoride has been removed or it’s good for you that a sure bet she won’t want anything to do with it

Your Mom sounds like a hoot.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »
reading this reminds me of the purpose of zone1 in gardening.
maybe the Berkey in the kitchen is the "zone1 of water preps"

I found my son drinks more water because it's out.