Author Topic: Coyote Hunting Thread  (Read 5197 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Coyote Hunting Thread
« on: May 19, 2009, 04:48:31 PM »
We TSPers who hunt 'yotes need a thread to link up for hunts, share info, etc.

I'll start it off. 

I live in western Washington and have been out in my area, which has thick brush, and I've been in eastern Washington, which doesn't.  I think eastern Washington has more 'yotes and longer range views of them, but I can't always get over there.

I use #4 buckshot in thick brush and a scoped bolt-action .223 in eastern Washington.  I have an AR with a red dot sight, which might be for medium ranges in non brush.  Not sure.  I'll see.  Maybe for use around farm houses in eastern Washington where the 'yotes come right up to the calves might be a good use for the AR.

I use a PC2 call and am getting some more.     

I am looking into a Mojo Critter decoy.

Any thoughts or just chimin' in are welcome.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 07:21:43 PM by Heavy G »

Offline Rom

• Prepper
Re: Coyote Hunting Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »
Big thumb up on the #4 Buck. I have taken most mine with my Pre-64 Win70 aught-6, but that is usually because we come across them while deer hunting. My uncle has a piece of land featuring an old dried up riverbed, that is now over-grown with trees. It is a great place to call and take yotes with the rifle. I use the buck when we spook one while bird hunting, come across one on the road, and for remote calling (a caller positioned behind the shooter, or a electronic call placed behind the shooter). This will be my first year hunting yotes with an AR platform, so we will see how that goes.

Good thread Heavy.

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »
.223 Hoya I use for my yotes. Heavy gun but man it is true.
I am an evil yote hunter. I dont hunt for fur I hunt to protect my bank account on hoof along with bounty. So I hunt year around.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »

I am an evil yote hunter. I dont hunt for fur I hunt to protect my bank account on hoof along with bounty. So I hunt year around.

Roger that.  Coyotes are vermin--big dog-rats.  They kill calves, fawns, and pets.  I think I'm doing nature a favor whacking them. 

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 02:42:08 PM »
Anyone else get bounties on coyote kills? 

We've got a 50$ bounty here, and its 75$ if you go to the next county. 

I reckon I could make a mess of one with my mosin. 

what about skinning and using the hides?

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 02:06:40 PM »
The bounty here is $20 for a set of ears.
If the hide is good then you should skin it and you can then sell it or tan it out also. Dont know how to tan but something I would love to learn. I want to make a coon skin cap this fall with a coon and get enough hides from the yotes you can have a real good coat that would also be great camo....

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 03:49:57 PM »
Went 'yote hunting in Lewis County, WA yesterday.  Wow.

For those of you who, like me up until a few days ago, think there is no good 'yote hunting in brushy western Washington, you'd be amazed at how many there are here.

I'm definitely addicted now.  I didn't get one to come into my fire zone but my partner did.  What a rush to know that you're getting coyotes to come to you.  I bet when I get one in myself, and especially after I shoot it, I'll be an even bigger addict.

Beautiful day (which has been rare here in western Washington for the past seven months).  Great exercise.  I love this.

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
heavy g, how are you liking the PC2 call?  we live some on property surrounded by about 400 acres of woods and pasture and have had coyote cross the property before, we hear them almost nightly, but about a month back, we lost two cats and recently the 'yote has taken a couple of chickens.  it has also taken the neighbor's cats and 8 of her 10 chickens.  both my wife and i have seen him during the day, unfortunately i didn't have a gun handy when i saw him and when i went inside and grabbed one, it was gone when i got back. 

i now have my sks by the back door and plan to buy a 12ga for the wife if she happens to see him.  i would, however, like to hurry this process along.

i've never hunted and any tips would be appreciated.

as an aside, i grew up in western washington, just south of everett.  man i miss the mountains.

Offline Heavy G

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 04:47:14 PM »
cacinok:

I like the PC2 fine.  It must be working right because, even though I haven't got a coyote to come in yet with it, I had crows circling overhead, so it was faking out the wildlife in the area.  Coyotes were probably a couple miles away then, but if you can fake out the birds, you're doing something right.

If you have a set property like you do, think about baiting them.  Let them eat the stuff a couple times so they get comfy coming in for it.  Then give 'em some 7.62 x 39.

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 08:57:10 PM »
good idea on the baiting and then ambush HG.  i think i might go looking for a PC2 before the weekend.