Author Topic: The Big Roll-up , the naked Big Stick antenna for portable VHF  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
  This is the roll-up version of the Big Stick antenna. It is capable of being pulled up in a tree for longer range that mobile or portable radio normally experience and reasonably tough while compact enough to carry ,if need be. It can be used on 2 meters and 440-450 MHZ as is and adjusted for MURS and FRS/GMRS in emergency as FRS is not truly legal with a removable/or external antenna.An analyzer or SWR meter will be needed for final adjustment of matching your radio and frequency with this newest version of the antenna.The support rope MUUST also support the coax at sever places along it's length or coax will be damaged by weight and motion...I uuggest zip ties or tape about knots in the rope to provide support for the coax as failure is often NOT an option.

FREE download from my GOOGLE drive..and pop-ups are going to be there,but it is out of my control.Completed and posted at 4:15 AM on a sleepless night...I can answer most questions after I get some sleep.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIRHFZbm1CZHh3Mkk
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 03:20:31 AM by Carl »

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: The Big Roll-up , the naked Big Stick antenna for portable VHF
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 07:29:38 AM »
This is also one of the best "stealth" style antennas.  For anyone living in an antenna restricted location, just hang this in your attic (not touching a wall is best).  Performance will be close to an externally mounted antenna of similar height. 

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 08:24:46 PM »
Thanks, Carl.  I just posted both this and the Big Stick antenna on our Montgomery (AL) Amateur Radio Club Facebook page.  Favorable feedback already.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 05:50:24 AM »
Thanks, Carl.  I just posted both this and the Big Stick antenna on our Montgomery (AL) Amateur Radio Club Facebook page.  Favorable feedback already.

Great to have you back ENGINEER Here are links to a better set of directions for the Big Stick on my GOOGLE DRIVE,sorry if spam causes anyone indigestion as that is what makes thing FREE,feel free to distribute,in whole,these instructions:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ZIZLZV4AwIdVdqaTh2cFMyOTg/view?usp=sharing

and the roll-up ,no PVC,version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ZIZLZV4AwIRHFZbm1CZHh3Mkk/view?usp=sharing

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:53:43 PM »
Thanks Carl. Going to have to build a couple of each..maybe more.  :)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 04:33:15 AM »
Thanks Carl. Going to have to build a couple of each..maybe more.  :)

I have made ladder line a popular item at Ham Fests for some time and now I am using simpler ZIP CORD for HF antennas,and it works!