Author Topic: First shotgun advice  (Read 9060 times)

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
First shotgun advice
« on: January 14, 2016, 11:47:32 AM »
I'm looking into a low-cost quality shotgun.  I get that that criteria can be mutually exclusive... 

Budget:  Total cost less than $750 (the closer to $500 the better).  I don't have a gun safe or anywhere to store it currently.  I've got 4 kids in the house, so safely storing it is a priority. 

Purpose:  I'd like something for goose hunting primarily.  But that could function well for home defense too.  I would be ok with multiple barrels to suit the job.

I'm currently considering one of the Mossberg 500 series (535) or Remington 870.  And a 10 gun safe for $120 at Dick's as well.

Thoughts?

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: First shotgun advice
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 12:13:22 PM »
Both work. In your budget you might find a used Wingmaster. The great debate between Mossberg and Remington (in my opinion) comes down to which you learn on. The only difference (for you) is that Remington makes a screw on mag extension for HD purposes while Mossberg's mag is fixed.

I shoot an 870 and a good buddy shoots a 500. They both run fine but we look like idiots when we swap and can't find the safeties and the loading gate just feels wrong.

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 05:41:58 PM »
Go buy one or the other. You're on the right track. The short barrels tend to be cheaper to buy after, so if you buy with the long barrel, you can add a shorter barrel later. I have shot both and like both. Each has strengths and weaknesses, but most are academic more than anything.

Seriously, go buy one, used if you can. Insist on removable choke tubes unless you find one with a fixed choke for a song. The lock boxes are okay. Save for at least a reasonable safe for the next purchase, but in the meantime the lockbox will keep little hands at bay.

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 06:16:38 AM »
Go with Mossberg. Do not buy a new Remington Firearm, their quality and reputation is gone. They are more like Taurus now, if you get a good one your lucky.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:24:46 AM »
Preference for a 3" or 3.5" barrel?

Both work. In your budget you might find a used Wingmaster.

What are some key things to look for in a used gun?  I've seen others say a used police 870 is a good buy because you know they're taken care of.  How do you figure that out?

Do not buy a new Remington Firearm, their quality and reputation is gone.

I've heard this about a few makers.  But more often about Remington.  Is there a particular year where the decline in quality begins?  And a reason why? 

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »
Buying any used gun I basically ensure that the action works, any safety works, the lockup is tight, no rust, no barrel or muzzle damage, and no visible problems. If you can, shoot it first.

I don't know much about police shotguns. I'd guess they don't get used too much. I can say my 870 express HD shotgun got the "police" trigger upgrade with all steel components.

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 03:15:04 PM »
The Freedom Group bought them in 2007. The Freedom Group owns Remington, DPMS, Marlin, Para, H and R, Bushmaster and other brands. The quality of all these brands has suffered under the Freedom Group.
There was a conspiracy theory that Bloomberg was behind it. He was going to buy them all and shut them all down, or make quality so bad they would go bankrupt.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 10:51:17 PM »
I don't hunt waterfowl, but if that were my goal then I would buy either a Mossberg 835 or a Benelli super nova. I would not buy an 870 express unless it was dirt cheap and I could immediately flip it or trade it for something else. I grew up shooting 870 Wingmasters and they're at the top of my list for dove hunting, but mine are all older models. The 835 dad had was overly heavy and ill balanced IMO, but I suppose that extra weight would help dampen the recoil of 3.5" loads.

It takes a lot of use to actually wear out a gun. The main thing to look for when buying a used shotgun is bulges in the barrel, or a barrel that has been shortened. I've only seen bulged barrels on a couple of guns, one of which was a Belgian made A5 Browning Sweet Sixteen.  :'( The price was substantially reduced, but not enough when the price of a replacement barrel was considered. From what I have seen, a lot of guns are bought just before the season opens and then sold as soon as the season ends.

Offline Sturla Snorrison

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 02:07:04 PM »
Remington 870 Express Magnum. Only shotgun I have ever needed. Just my $.02

Offline Fyrediver

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 09:57:46 AM »
Something to consider is a shotgun lock:  https://www.shotlock.com/ShotLock_Shotgun.php

I've got the pistol shotlock and think it's very well put together.  I know several of my co-workers have purchased the Shotgun shotlock and they're happy with it.

My suggestion is an 870 or 590.  Either are good shotguns, inexpensive, have LOTS of aftermarket parts and stuff to modify them, and have proven military and police histories.

Finally, consider http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm as a spare ammo carrier.  You can carry many of the cards and the velcro will allow it to fit into the shotlock still. 

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »
Man that,s the great thing about the shotgun. It's so versatile!

I think your original choices of Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 is a good one. Don't get a special purpose one. Just the standard all around hunting one. It will suit you fine for foul, squirrel deer defense Ect...
You get a special purpose it won't do the rest quite so well.

Later if you get into one thing heavily you'll have a better idea exactly what your looking for. Barrel length camo porting she'll length.

I would say for now look at 26-28" barrel 2-3/4 to 3 inch 12ga 5 shot 3 with plug.

You may also look at the benelli super nova. Often overlooked great gun.

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 05:32:01 AM »
I have the Mossberg 500/ multi barrels, love it so versatile. Good Bang for the buck (pun intended)
for safety if you don't have room for a safe, get a lockable gun case throw on a small padlock and it's secure. teach kids about guns so they won't be curious.
Good Hunting.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 10:59:35 PM »
Finally, consider http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm as a spare ammo carrier.  You can carry many of the cards and the velcro will allow it to fit into the shotlock still. 

I second this. If you want to see some pics of the Esstac, see this old thread where I put them on my 590SP.  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=51076.msg584715#msg584715

I would suggest a 500 that comes with two barrels for a first shotgun. That said I like mine but it's just for defense, not clays or hunting. If any of you readers want a purely defensive shotgun check out this 590A1 with magpul furnature already installed: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/563557572
(Auction ends and link will be bad in 2 days)

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 10:54:44 PM »
I agree with the last two posts. I Love the 500 and the 590 even more.
I think the 500 design has a lot of advantages over the 870
Duel extractors. It the ejector breaks it's easy to replace. Easy to mount optics to the receiver.

Still I've shot and trained with them the 870 just points better for me. Again that's me! Noticably better if you can try those two and see for yourself.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 10:19:22 PM »
I agree with the last two posts. I Love the 500 and the 590 even more.
I think the 500 design has a lot of advantages over the 870
Duel extractors. It the ejector breaks it's easy to replace. Easy to mount optics to the receiver.

Still I've shot and trained with them the 870 just points better for me. Again that's me! Noticably better if you can try those two and see for yourself.

I have both. Neither in pistol grip, which is a point. The safety on an 870 is on the trigger guard. The safety on the 500 is on the top. If you have a regular stock, no problem, thumb or pointer finger. Add a pistol grip and the safety on the 500 becomes troublesome but the one on the 870 is still properly placed.

Completely agree about the optics on the 500, it comes tapped for a rail for a scope. The base 870 is not tapped. Also the extractor replacement on the 870 is a weld job.

Jerseyboy

Offline Davew223

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 05:01:49 PM »
Take a look at the Benelli Nova. 

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 05:26:58 PM »

Also the extractor replacement on the 870 is a weld job.

Jerseyboy

The extractor on an 870 is easily replaced with a small screwdriver, a few choice words, and some patience. The ejector, which is what you're referring to, does not require welding to replace, but it does require some special tools...and usually refinishing the receiver as well. Frankly, I don't see why it matters that much. I have 870's from the 1950's that have never been refinished and the ejectors are just fine. There are probably close to a dozen 870 wingmasters owned by my immediate family and myself. Never once has any of them had an ejector failure in thousands and thousands of rounds. On the other hand, we have all had mossberg 500's fail in exactly the same way---failure to chamber the next round, instead dropping it straight out the loading port on the bottom. I have seen 870 express models so poorly fitted from the factory that the trigger group pins would fall out if the gun was tipped to the side.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 10:08:45 PM »
The extractor on an 870 is easily replaced with a small screwdriver, a few choice words, and some patience. The ejector, which is what you're referring to, does not require welding to replace, but it does require some special tools...and usually refinishing the receiver as well. Frankly, I don't see why it matters that much. I have 870's from the 1950's that have never been refinished and the ejectors are just fine. There are probably close to a dozen 870 wingmasters owned by my immediate family and myself. Never once has any of them had an ejector failure in thousands and thousands of rounds. On the other hand, we have all had mossberg 500's fail in exactly the same way---failure to chamber the next round, instead dropping it straight out the loading port on the bottom. I have seen 870 express models so poorly fitted from the factory that the trigger group pins would fall out if the gun was tipped to the side.

Thanks for the correction. I do like the 870 better but wish it came by default with a tap for rails on the top. Why should I have the extra expense of paying someone to tap it for me or me risking messing it up by trying to tap it myself.  Also I have seen videos of shells dropping instead of being chambered buy I have never experienced it in a Mossberg. However I did see it happen on an 870 at the range a few months ago repeatedly in the same gun.

Also the Mossberg magazine size is fixed in size on the 500. The 870 can have tube extensions put on.

Jerseyboy

Jerseyboy

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 10:37:14 PM »
Ended up getting a Mossberg 535.  It came with two barrels, one for shot and a longer one for slug.  After shooting the 22 with my wife and 3 oldest kids, I pulled out the shotgun.  We were all smiles after the boom stick let loose! 

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2016, 11:20:59 AM »
Lean into it!