Author Topic: what to pack???  (Read 2939 times)

johnnybgood30

what to pack???
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:22:02 PM »
well im a 31yr single full time dad in oregon and not sure what to pack.my girl is 9yr and i do good so far with her but not sure what things to pack in a bug out bag for her.most people around here think in nuts.just trying to get things reddy.thank you

skiffgirl

Re: what to pack???
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:35:07 PM »
What do you have to far?
If you can let us know that maybe we can add to the list.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 08:40:15 PM »
Since you didn't list anything:

Food - I doubt that MRE's would go over very well for a kid. Energy type bars that she might like. (Have her try some out beforehand)
          Gum, crackers, pop-tarts, cheese, *peanut butter* (caution with this one), jelly (packets like you get in restaurants) can spaghetti ? (be sure to have a can opener)
Water/juices
Clothes - consider weather changes.  Also, it wouldn't hurt to have some a size larger - just in case you forget to rotate. A supply of underwear, socks.
Meds
Toys/games (keep her busy, amused)
Flashlight/batteries
Some form of ID - and pictures of family with names/ages. Location/phone #s of other family members.
Radio
Sunglasses/hat/gloves
Hair bands? Barrettes. Comb/brush
Toothpaste/brush/floss
Wet wipes, small bottle of shampoo(?)
Sleeping bag/blanket/pillow(?)
Suntan lotion/ bug repellent

I can't think of anything else right now, but, I'm sure others will contribute.
Best of luck.
Also, it wouldn't hurt to "practice" bugouts/camping with her.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 02:03:38 AM »
I would add some sturdy shoes for her, most kids don't own boots.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »
What is she into? Depending on what her interests are I would definitely consider packing something that engages her already. If she doesn't have an MP3 player I should get a battery operated one and load it up with audiobooks as they can help with temporary escapism. A soccer ball if she's into sports. Things of that nature.

If she has a pet I would try and pack it as well. :)

If you haven't done a packing exercise yet I would put it to her, ask her what she would pack if she was going on a week-long trip. Ask her why she would pack each of those things and if they seem really important as she describes them then make room in the bag for them. Just remember to reevaluate, girls change a lot in the tweens.

Way to go single dad!

justpassingthru

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 11:08:46 AM »
I think bugouts /camping is excellent for her. 
Teach her to fish, bait her own hook and remove the fish from her line.
Teach her everything you would teach a boy.
Its so nice to see a father concerned about her daughter.
The more you teach her, the more CONFIDENCE she will have and this confidence  will show up in her career.
And its been scientifically proven that girls who are tomboys, go further in their careers, and also make the best moms.
Being a coin collector, I am thrilled to see a father bring his daughter to a coin show, vs being taught to collect beanie babies.
Again, teach her as you would a boy.  She certainly wont forget she's a girl.  And when she turns 17, the boys wont let
her forget, either.
(Probably shouldnt have brought up that last sentence)