Author Topic: Having antibiotic ointment on hand  (Read 2964 times)

endurance

Having antibiotic ointment on hand
« on: October 13, 2015, 02:43:30 PM »
I don't know about you, but I carry enough stuff around with me already when I go hiking.  The last thing I need is a full tube of this or that ointment, salve or cream, but buying the individual foil packets is a waste of money and living without isn't the prepper way.

So when I saw this article my mind starting ticking over all the options for this.  A straw full with a couple aspirin, a straw with foot fungus ointment for my travel kit and gym bag, a straw full of vaseline-coated cotton fire starters (slurpee-sized straw!), and of course, the topic of the article, a straw with Neosporin in it for those everyday cuts. 

http://makezine.com/2013/02/01/diy-single-use-antibiotic-ointment-packets/

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
Re: Having antibiotic ointment on hand
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:01:20 PM »
Seems like a lot of work for little reason, Endurance. A tube of Neo-Sporin is small, as is a tube of tooth ache jell (novacane?). Likewise, a tube of athlete's foot remedy isn't that much bigger. But having a full, sterile factory tube of whatever can allow you to really slobber it on, or in wherever it's needed.

soup

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:40:02 PM »
I don't know about you, but I carry enough stuff around with me already when I go hiking.  The last thing I need is a full tube of this or that ointment, salve or cream, but buying the individual foil packets is a waste of money and living without isn't the prepper way.

So when I saw this article my mind starting ticking over all the options for this.  A straw full with a couple aspirin, a straw with foot fungus ointment for my travel kit and gym bag, a straw full of vaseline-coated cotton fire starters (slurpee-sized straw!), and of course, the topic of the article, a straw with Neosporin in it for those everyday cuts. 

http://makezine.com/2013/02/01/diy-single-use-antibiotic-ointment-packets/

I like the idea...

You can transform that one bottle or tube into a single dosage for your car,BOB,office,BOL,kids car.....
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:46:23 PM by chad »

Offline Timlugia

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 07:35:04 PM »
They actually make antibiotic jel in single dose package...

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 08:42:18 PM »
When I took Wilderness First Aid we were advised against using antibiotic products (Neosporin etc). There isn't any conclusive evidence that it helps with healing - not a single study in fact. There can be quite serous complications to using it. I have had clients who are allergic to 1 or more of the components. So given that it's efficacy is in serious question and the downside risk, while small, is substantial, I do not use it or carry it.

I also do not carry acetaminophen as that can also have serious side effects and there are safer alternatives. My son actually has suffered acetaminophen poisoning and nearly died. He no longer gets any medication with acetaminophen. When he needs any prescription I make sure to tell his doctor that he cannot have acetaminophen as it can have dire consequences for him. There are many incidences of acetaminophen poisoning every year while taking it as directed.

I carry aspirin but would only use that if it was the LAST thing I had or if someone was having a heart attack.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:02:57 PM »
That is pretty cool. More work than I would ever do but cool. Bought a big box of them on amazon a few months back. Got a few different things in individual packets. Then just made 5 or 6 first aid kits and keep the rest in the bathroom closet.