Author Topic: ScarAway silicone scar sheets  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
ScarAway silicone scar sheets
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:09:07 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with this product?  My physical therapist told me that one her recent patients was using this and the change in her scar was significant.  They are reusable/washable adhesive-backed silicone sheets.  They claim to "shrink, flatten and fade scars".   I'm considering trying these on my knee because of a recent surgery.  They are pricey.  Although the box claims they will last 2 months. 

http://www.amazon.com/ScarAway-C-Section-Treatment-Silicone-Adhesive/dp/B002VK977O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454038950&sr=8-1&keywords=scaraway

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
Re: ScarAway silicone scar sheets
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 06:44:55 AM »
My go to for scars and healing wounds quickly is helichrysum italicum essential oil, but it is REALLY expensive. 

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 06:15:24 AM »

My friend, who has scarring from multiple abdominal surgeries, swears by hyaluronic acid, and it's really inexpensive too.  This bottle is $13 on Amazon, and you use a VERY tiny amount, like smaller than a pea.  She had tried other oils and creams, but this was the only one that worked.  I tried Bio-Oil and broke out in a rash.  Bonus: hyaluronic acid also is good for wrinkles.   ;)

I was using it for the scar on my cheek from when they did an excision back in November, but apparently the best trick if you want to avoid scarring is a really skilled doctor.   I can feel something there when I rub my hand along my cheek, but you couldn't see a scar or anything even right after they took the stitches out.

Oh, and old scars are stubborn scars, so the sooner you get to them, the better.

Anyway, this is good quality hyaluronic acid at a reasonable price - [size=78%]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00139TXUU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00[/size]

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 06:56:43 AM »
I was using it for the scar on my cheek from when they did an excision back in November, but apparently the best trick if you want to avoid scarring is a really skilled doctor.   I can feel something there when I rub my hand along my cheek, but you couldn't see a scar or anything even right after they took the stitches out.

Yeah, my doc for the last two hand surgeries I had used some really funky stitches that were intended to cause less scarring. The first one you can barely see now, and it's only a year and a half old. The one from last fall is still slightly red, but I'm guessing it will fade to almost nothing. The other thing she told me is to use sunscreen and minimize sun exposure to it as much as possible for the first year or so, as that will cause it to become redder.

That said, I have some older scars that I might try these on. I'm really bad about remembering to use oils and other topical stuff, so a sheet that I can leave on there might work better for me.