Author Topic: Merrell Shoes  (Read 13039 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Merrell Shoes
« on: January 31, 2016, 08:28:11 PM »
Wanted to give a shout out to Merrell shoes in case anyone is looking for a new pair of shoes to wear. The other day I commented to my wife that I thought it was time for a new pair since mine were starting to look pretty bad. She replied "you've had them for four years so probably." I had no idea I'd been wearing them that long, just about everyday too. She has a pair herself that she wears when we go walking/hiking outdoors and loves them.

The quality of these shoes is great. In fact once I realized I'd had them for so long I promptly ordered another pair of the same model since they work so well.

Merrell Moab Ventilator is the specific model I have.

Also I took some pictures of my new pair next to my old pair for comparison. Here's an few pictures of them.

I'm not a small guy either. 6'2" and for most of the time I wore these I was floating around 225lbs.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
Re: Merrell Shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »
I've been wearing these for at least 8 years now. They are my day to day shoe.
I get a new pair for my birthday every year and rotate them into the mix. I think I have 4 pairs right now. 2 are relegated to the "in the backyard" only.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:05:36 PM »
Yup, that's what my old pair is going to. Nothing wrong with them aside from being worn and looking dirty. They're going to be my yard work shoe from now on and probably will last a while in that role.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 07:05:23 AM »
My goto shoes.  I have a pair of Winter mocs i use only outdoors in winter and a set of Jungle Mocs at the office that I change into when I arrive. 

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 07:28:08 AM »
I bought a pair 3 years ago. Love them. I did find they run a tad small on the sizes if memory serves me correctly.

Offline 12th man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 01:19:41 PM »
I have been wearing Cabella's Dry Plus 4x Casual walkers since 11/2013. i remember because i bought them out of the bargain cave while working in Bosie. i wear them almost everyday, all day. they must have 3-5,000 miles on them, and i am 6'1" 235-245. The soles are getting worn now and they don't grip as well on slippery surfaces. Best shoes i have ever had. they don't get too hot in the summer, not too cold in the winter, they don't allow water in, they are professional enough to wear to the office, and close enough to a boot that i dont have to put my work boots on when on-site if i dont want to.

these are $100 normally, i paid $40 out of the cave. i hate paying so much for shoes, but in this case i will ante up when the time comes if i cant find them cheaper before they HAVE to be replaced. As long as they keep making them i cant see ever buying anything else.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/footwear/men-s-footwear/men-s-athletic-shoes%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/103897980/cabela-s-dry-plus-x4-casual-walkers/749529.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmens-athletic-shoes%2F_%2FN-1107611%2FNo-0%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103897980%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP%26recordsPerPage%3D48

I also have Bog's for work around the house. totally worth the money.

d3nni5

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 01:36:04 PM »

I agree with Merrell quality.   Keen also is on par with Merrell.  I also would put the Cabela's Dry Plus stuff right up there, although they did not wear as long as my Keens or Merrell's.   But for the price, you can't beat Cabela's.

Good waterproof shoes and boots costs at least $80-120.   I've tried the store brand boots for $40.   They don't stay dry, maybe at first, but it won't last. 

Offline John Doe

• Survivor
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »
Another +1 on Merrell's

I have a pair I run in

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 06:26:51 PM »
For the most part, I can't wear them as they're usually too narrow in the toe for me. However, I did manage to find a really nice pair of brown leather Merrell boots on clearance once. They have a nice thick, textured sole with NO heel, difficult to find with women's shoes. They look great with jeans or a dress/skirt and are waterproof. I wear them mostly in the winter when I need to look nice but still might encounter some inclement weather; the perfect dual-purpose boot.

My absolute favorite shoes now are Keen. But that's a topic for another thread :)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:49:56 PM »
I've had some people mention Keen, I'm going to have to look into them.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:45:31 PM »
I've had mixed success with two pairs of Merrells.  The first was a pair of Moab Ventilators that I tried over 10 years ago.  While they felt great in the store, I never could tolerate being in them for more than a short period without bad foot pain.  But that's a problem with my finicky feet, not with the shoes.  My second pair of Merrels is an all leather casual shoe that has worked really well for me for years now.  I wore them all day at work today and just got back from a three mile walk in them tonight, and my feet are feeling fine.

Since my bad experience with the Ventilators, I've kind of stuck with Asolo Fugitive GTX light hiking boots to keep my feet happy, going through about a pair every 600-800 miles (which was about yearly for awhile), not because they're totally thrashed, but because once the sole gets worn down so much on the heel I have to quit wearing them or my feet, ankles, and knees pay dearly.  I haven't been able to figure out a durable repair that would allow me to get more life out of them, either.  About a year ago I rounded up all the "old" pairs of Asolos and gave them to my cleaning lady.  She said she had no problem finding good homes for them and couldn't believe I was giving away "new" boots.

This summer at REI, the guy talked me into trying a brand called Oboz.  I'd never heard of them and he said they're some new company that's gaining a reputation.  I bought their Sawtooth model and wore it all over Greece for a month and my feet felt awesome, every single day, and I didn't even have to put in the usual $35 SuperFeet insoles, either.  That doesn't happen often for me.  They're the happy medium between the Merrell Ventilators, which were very cool but not very supportive, and the Fugitives, which are very supportive but a bit hot and bulky.

endurance

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 08:34:11 AM »
I wear through shoes pretty quick because I have a slightly short leg and insole that tends to wear them out quickly.  The Merrells I had did seem to wear out quicker than most, but the stitching holds up well.  Too bad most modern shoes aren't made to be resoled or I just might like them enough to keep buying them.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 09:42:11 AM »
I was reading that Merrell has a pretty good "stand behind our product policy" and will often repair or replace shoes if they wear out quickly. You might look into that and see what you can find.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 10:24:59 AM »
I love the Moab ventilator, just wish it fit me.  It is hard to find a good hard wearing summer boot. 

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 09:14:12 PM »
I've owned various Merrell's off and on since the late 80's.  They were bought by Wolverine in the late 90's.  Overall, I've had some fantastic Merrell's, both boots and shoes.  Hiked all over the Sierra's in a variety of Merrell's.  Still have a pair of traditional heavy duty leather boots that need to be resoled.

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 06:47:29 AM »
Wanted to give a shout out to Merrell shoes in case anyone is looking for a new pair of shoes to wear. The other day I commented to my wife that I thought it was time for a new pair since mine were starting to look pretty bad. She replied "you've had them for four years so probably." I had no idea I'd been wearing them that long, just about everyday too. She has a pair herself that she wears when we go walking/hiking outdoors and loves them.

The quality of these shoes is great. In fact once I realized I'd had them for so long I promptly ordered another pair of the same model since they work so well.

Merrell Moab Ventilator is the specific model I have.

Also I took some pictures of my new pair next to my old pair for comparison. Here's an few pictures of them.

I'm not a small guy either. 6'2" and for most of the time I wore these I was floating around 225lbs.

I've worn these shoes for years. They are 1 Gazillion percent my favorite walking shoes. 20 Miles? Helz yah.

Offline wdrobins

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »
I've been procrastinating buying another pair of hiking shoes, and this topic encouraged me to go ahead and take the plunge.

I own a pair of Merrell hiking shoes, which I've had for many years, and the uppers are completely worn out, but the soles are still in good shape.  I can't remember exactly when I purchased them. But, these have been the best hiking shoes I've ever owned. I'm not sure what model shoe it is, since I can't find a marking anywhere on the shoe as such. They are a little on the heavier side weight, so I would like to get a shoe that's a tad lighter.

So, based on this post, I just purchased the Moab Ventilator at Amazon, along with an overly expensive pair of socks. Hopefully, I got the size right (I went with 1/2 size larger than my previous pair), and won't have to return them. I've noticed over the years that the size that fits my feet the best varies depending on brand, type, and model of shoe. That's why I'm a little wary of buying shoes online. I hate going through the hassle of returning clothing items. On the other hand, I also hate shopping in stores for clothing, which wastes a lot of time.  :-\

When I receive these shoes in a few days, and get a chance to do some walking, I'll update on what I think of the Moab Ventilator.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »
My current pair I got at the REI "Garage Sale"  last year.  Paid only $29 for some mid-height hiking boots that retail over $120.  I mostly wear for camping/hiking, but probably have 100 miles on them after so many Boy Scout outings, etc.  They are still a good value at full price, but I'll always grab a spare pair when I find a deal.

Offline wdrobins

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 01:48:13 PM »
OK, here's the update on my new Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes.

I've now put a total of about 15 walking miles on my Merrells, and took them on a camping trip. I like them a lot. The only thing I'm considering is possibly replacing the insert with one that has a little more cushion. The prior Merrells I had were heavier than these, but they had more cushion.

Otherwise, they're a great pair of shoes.

Offline wdrobins

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 01:02:36 PM »
Here's another update on my Merrells.

After walking a lot in these shoes, I found that the right side of my left foot heel was starting to get a small blister. The issue was that the original insert, being fairly thin, was allowing that part of my heel to come into slight contact with the lower area where the uppers are attached to the sole. I don't know why this wasn't an issue with my right foot. Possibly a minor variation in my foot, the shoe, and/or the insert.

I replaced the original inserts with higher quality Pinnacle Powerstep inserts, which are thicker and provide better arch support. They are now walking like a charm.

I wear these almost continuously now, including for work, walking and hiking.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 07:06:35 PM »
Interesting, I've found the opposite with Merrells. I have had three pair (slip-on shoes, water proof hiking shoes, and hiking boots). Every single pair failed on the seam between the sole and the shoe. I've got plenty of other shoes that hold up just fine, so it's not just my walking style that causes it.

Also, I agree with the previous post. Pretty much with any new shoe nowadays, I immediately take out the factory insole and replace it with a better insole and it makes the shoe much better.