Author Topic: Dog Food for Long Term Storage  (Read 9482 times)

Offline anthonyalston

• Prepper
Dog Food for Long Term Storage
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:07:33 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas on dog food for long term storage?

The way I do it now is to buy 2 bags of dry food. When I feed the dog, I mix the dry with other food that I prepare. When one bag runs out, I replace that bag and then open then next oldest bag to keep the dog food in rotation so that it does not go bad. So far the dog food does not grow stale. This gives me a rolling 30 day supply of dry food.

For me the dog is a part of the family too. And, I would like to include the dog in any preparations that I make.

I would appreciate help on including the dog in my preparation plans.

Thank you.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
Re: Dog Food for Long Term Storage
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 08:17:33 PM »
Welcome anthonyalston, Do a search on dog food and heres a couple threads to get you started.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=5512.0

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4442.0

Ya know, the more I think about it the madder I get.  Our motto, what we believed down in our heart, went something like this "ye though I walk through the Valley of Death we will fear no evil...for we are the baddest mother strawberry pickers in the Valley".

FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:45:07 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on packaging the pets' foodstuffs the same as you would human food - mylar bags, sealed  with O2 absorbers and packed in a can? I did that with 44# of the dogs food and was hoping it would work out. The food is dry dog food, rice and lamb, low in other cereals.

Thoughts/
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline Lowdown3

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts on packaging the pets' foodstuffs the same as you would human food - mylar bags, sealed  with O2 absorbers and packed in a can? I did that with 44# of the dogs food and was hoping it would work out. The food is dry dog food, rice and lamb, low in other cereals.

Thoughts/

Don't bother with dry dog food this way. Most anything else, sure, but not dog food.

Even the better brands, will have a high amount of fats and oils in it. Fats and oils don't store well.

What we've been doing for years now-

We fill a 55 gallon lid drum with dry dog food. You'll get at least a 2 year rotation out of it. When you open it, the top 1" or so is usually WHITE. That's the fats and oils going rancid. Scoop that part off and throw in the pond for the fish. Dogs CAN eat it but they will make more of a mess in the yard.

We usually rotate around 2 years, I'm sure you could get 3 easily out of it.

Some things don't lend themselves to long term storage very well, dog food is one of them unfortunately.

The canned dog food would probably store as long or longer, but it's expensive and usually not the best to feed to your dogs (as told by a GSD trainer to me).

Lowdown3

Offline Faithto1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:56:54 AM »
You might want to check out food grade food storage buckets - they are air tight - but not vacuum sealed. Do a search for Gamma sealed buckets and lids. You will find plenty of options.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
I don't know how long dry dog food lasts or how to store it because I cook for my dogs we have 3.  For us it is cheaper and they have stopped having medical problems no more seizures arthritis plaque build up on teeth no more flees and the poops are way smaller and no more smelly gas Can't blame it on the dogs any more ::)

For me I found it easier to just worry about storing food that we eat and then I automatically know that the dogs are also taken care of.  Our dogs eat a variety of grains veggies fruit meat poultry fish dairy and eggs.  Vets have given me crap about feeding them the way I do.  Well to me the proof is in the fact they are healthier don't have to go to the vets on a regular basis any more nor do I need to buy their so called "medically special" food or medications.  Funny thing is that all 3 dogs are healthier but the vets say it's just a fluke and I am not giving them the correct nutrition.  Dogs were not meant to eat grains fruit and veggies.  Wow really then why do the dog food companies put the pictures on their labels and tell us they add it to the dog food?  Sorry didn't mean to go off on a rant.

I carry some cans of tuna spam stew chili water oat meal rice jerky peanut butter & applesauce in the car.  It works out well if we are out and about we don't have to drive threw for a burger (dogs do love the wendy's double stacker) we can just pull over and all have something to eat.  Cans of ready to eat soup come in handy too.  All the valuable space is taken up with food that we can eat and the dogs can eat.  Double duty.  Just don't give your dogs onions raisins grapes or any thing with artificial sweeteners in it.  I also carry para cord extra leashes baby aspirin.  All of this has come in handy from time to time.  For us our dogs and the occasional stray that is blocking traffic.

My point is that maybe it would be less stress more cost and space saving efficient to just plan on them eating what you would eat.  Just another idea
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:43:19 PM »
Most good quality dog food will not keep for very long term because the oils will cause it to turn rancid.  My dogs will eat whatever we are eating or growing. 
It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.

Offline mountainmoma

• Dedicated Contributor
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
I have the current open dog food bag, which is large and in 2 5 gallon buckets with gamma seals. Then, 2 extra bags of unopened dog food. The way it is sold it will keep for 6-12 months, there are dates on your dog food bags, so check out the sell by date, then it is good at least a few months past that, they package well already. my 3 bags total in the house are more than 3 months worth. SO, I rotate, I buy a new bag when ever I open a new bag.

If it is more than 3 or 4 months that we cant get to stores, I will start to switch off people food half and half for a bit to transition to straight people food.

Cats same way, but if they ever have to transition to non-store bought, we will need to make sure they get some milk or eggs in with their "people food"