Author Topic: Blizzard Warning for Metro Denver and Eastern Colorado  (Read 4287 times)

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
Blizzard Warning for Metro Denver and Eastern Colorado
« on: March 23, 2016, 05:11:04 PM »
Blizzard Warning in effect for Denver and northeastern Colorado until 10 PM MST tonight (webpage says 6 PM but local news just updated it to 10):
http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=COZ040&warncounty=COC031&firewxzone=COZ240&local_place1=Denver%20CO&product1=Blizzard+Warning&lat=39.7391&lon=-104.9847#.VvMgaJMrLQA

Denver International Airport has been shut down all day, no estimated opening time yet:
http://www.denverpost.com/weathernews/ci_29674737/blizzard-causes-250-flight-cancellations-power-outages-at

Chain law in effect for Denver Metro, most highways shut down around the city:
http://www.denverpost.com/weathernews/ci_29675019/countless-accidents-piling-up-denver-blizzard-pounds-front

As for me, the future husband and I went walking (aka playing in the snow) around the neighborhood a little while ago. It's actually quite warm, right around freezing, so it's already melting a bit. Surprisingly we've had power all day, but have backups in case it goes out. We're staying warm and bugging in ;D

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Blizzard Warning for Metro Denver and Eastern Colorado
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 06:04:35 PM »
Stay safe Q.

Endurance said his place was getting schwacked with snow in the teens of inches.

endurance

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:07:32 PM »
My wife got stuck about 100' short of the driveway on our unplowed road. I got out our other truck and got it stuck, had to chain up the front end to get out, yanked her out eventually, and proceeded to break a chain and got myself stuck again trying to get back in the driveway. After using a coat hanger to fix the chain, I was able to get unstuck. Then the wife got stuck again and after messing around with it for 30 minutes, a whole lotta cuss words and a few tears, we gave up and left it on the side of the road. 21" of wet, heavy snow, all of it in about 11 hours. Crazy stuff.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 07:21:58 PM »
Stay safe!

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:27:31 PM »
Yeah, I tried to go in to work this morning (HA!), turned around less than a half mile from my house after I nearly got stuck, and almost rear-ended someone on the way back.

Funny thing is, the forecast still said 1-3 inches last night, and when I woke up at 4:30 this morning there was no snow at all. Then when I went to leave at 6 I looked again and was like $#!@.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
     We're getting hammered now in central WI. 12 to 14 inches by morning. Some computer modeling showed as much as 19, but the local weather guy says that's a little far fetched. Wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 04:54:57 AM »
We broke a daily snowfall record yesterday according to the local news: 12.1 inches at DIA (pretty sure most places got even more than that).

DIA has reopened, though I'm sure glad I don't have to fly today. I-70 is still closed east of Denver, I believe.

The roads are mostly clear, but everything froze last night according to CDOT. I think I might let everything thaw a little before I go in to work today.

Here I am at the park across the street yesterday

endurance

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 07:50:25 AM »
Arrrgh!  They still haven't plowed my road. I called the county shops to let them know and while on the phone I heard on the scanner that one of their snowplows was stuck. Bah!  They only have five plows for this district and with one out of commission for even a few hours, in sure my little road won't even tickle the back of their minds. I literally live a five minutes walk from the shops.  :banghead:

My wife took our big truck because she had to get to work. Her truck is still stuck and until they plow I'm not even going to bother trying to get it out. As for my little car, well, let's just say that with another 4" in the forecast for Friday night into Saturday, it's staying where it is until after the weekend.

At least the boiler is working again so I have hot water and heat once again. This time of year my wood supply is getting pretty lean.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 08:45:17 AM »
Considering that you and your wife are volunteer first responders (and some of the ones that actually respond frequently) you would think you could get bumped up in the queue.  Have you tried talking to your chief and seeing if he could work it?

endurance

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:00:33 AM »
See, this is bureaucracy at its finest. If we get a call at a residence on an unplowed street, we can notify the county and they'll send a plow right away to clear that street, but getting to the station is my own responsibility. The county can't give preference to volunteer firefighters or everyone would join to get their street plowed. On the otherhand, the billionaire on an adjoining street doesn't have so much as a slushy spot on his road. Funny how the county prioritizes snow removal around here. I'm actually closer to the county shop and live on a road with more homes, but I guess we wouldn't want him to have to burn all that aviation fuel to run his helicopter if he really needed to get out.  ::)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
We ended up with about 18 inches where it didn't blow/drift. Those places were probably 3 feet or more.  BUT today the sun shone and melted a ton. Nothing like the beauty of Colorado sunshine.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 12:33:14 AM »
It's funny, I checked the weather a few days before that happened and it said rain and maybe some snow. I was a little annoyed. Yep roads shut down and everything was closed, and I was only a little annoyed.

It's basically all melted now though  ;D  ;D

Offline artephius

• Survivor
  • Recovering forum lurker..
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 06:39:51 AM »
This storm definitely got me thinking about building that truck box battery bank... no power at work for two days, no power at my sister's house, and so on. Oddly enough it stayed on where I live.

It was funny watching all the little cars with 8 inches of clearance try and drive in 20' of snow though! I met half my neighborhood driving around in my truck for fun!

On a side note do any of you other coloradoans happen to have a weather app for your phone that actually warned about this storm?

If you could have seen my face when I got up for a cup of coffee and looked out the window the first time...  :jaw-drop:

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 05:25:19 PM »
@artephius I use accuweather and it pings my cellphone with severe weather updates and I was notified of the potential of lots of snow from this storm. Funny how the local snowplow crews weren't notified though haha.  Looks like we may get rain tonight and snow tomorrow again. Wednesdays just aren't good around here lately.  Oh well March in Colorado - the sun will be back and we NEVER bitch about moisture that helps with summer wildfires and drought.

Blessings TBM

endurance

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »
I use emergency email for notifications. It will send texts or emails for any alerts in your zip code and you can customize it for types of warnings, watches and advisories. There's advertising that comes with it, but that's the price of free.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 03:08:52 PM »
@rugged cyclist - love your avatar. Soooooo Colorado.  Now where are my flip flops and shorts? It's 48 degrees out and only snowing a little.