Author Topic: Ethical Hacking - Video Downloads  (Read 3008 times)

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
Ethical Hacking - Video Downloads
« on: February 15, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »
I've been considering uploading some how-to "Hacker" tutorials (nothing malicious, no security exploits). Figured I'd test the water with a simple one that everyone always wants - Video Downloads from Streaming Sites.

I was asked: "How do I download a Video when there's no Download Button?"
This was in relation to a 3rd party site (not YouTube) which had some instructional videos.

I will answer this, but ask you not to abuse it by downloading paid content... This works on a number of paid sites who monetize by allowing free streaming, but paid downloads. Circumventing the pay gate is unethical and may get you blocked from a site. Use responsibly.

My hope is by teaching people how to do this, fewer will be duped into downloading some 3rd party program (usually containing malware).

• Use Google Chrome as your Web Browser.
• Go to the page with the Video, but don't press play yet.
• On your Keyboard, press the [F12] Key.
• In a moment, the "Inspector" window opens up at the bottom of the page.
• At the top of the inspector window, you will see a "Network" tab. Open that tab.
• Now press play on the Video. You'll see a long blue line or progress bar forming as it tracks which file on the page is using the bandwidth. Presumably, a streaming video will use more, so you'll see that line spreading across the timeline. That's the video file.
• Double click the name next to the growing blue line to open just the video (or audio) in a new tab.
• Once it's in this new tab, simply right-click the video and choose "Save Video As", and save it.

The catch: YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Vimeo and Amazon will break the file into multiple streams, so you can't capture it all as one file. This will work on most small sites, not DRM protected commercial streamers.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
Re: Ethical Hacking - Video Downloads
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:04:57 PM »
There are some firefox add ons that do the same thing.
Works with utube, vimeo, facebook, and some other sites. never tried it on netflix or amazon.
Video download helper is the one I have right now.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:18:14 PM »
Yeah, there are many ways to get YouTube videos, but most of those services don't work with small sites. For instance, if I wanted to put the free videos from GeoffLawton.com into my mediacenter PC, none of the services know how to parse the data from that site. This method would work. It would work equally well getting audio podcasts from TSP (but there is a download button, so no point, lol).

I prefer to avoid anything you have to install for this task. Not familiar with Video Download Helper, but I've seen quite a few that load ransomware, so I never advise it.

As a general rule of thumb, the quality of software is inversely proportionate to the number of adjectives in it's name. So "Super Video Download Platinum Pro Plus" would be one to avoid, lol.

I left YouTube manual download methods out specifically because they can be taken a step further to access private videos and paid YouTube Red or Sponsored content, and circumvent age gates and geofencing. With their recent site changes, the security is in shambles, lol. It requires a slightly different technique, but if you know how to do it, the rest becomes fairly evident. I'm not going to delve into all that here, someone would end up breaking some laws with it, lol.

For YouTube, just use Savedeo.com (Warning, some images are NSFW).

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »