Author Topic: Indian Point nuclear power news  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Indian Point nuclear power news
« on: February 07, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »

Indian Point nuclear facility operator reports ‘alarming levels’ of radioactivity in plant’s groundwater; some wells increase 65,000%

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/politics/politics-on-the-hudson/2016/02/06/ny-probe-radioactive-water-leak-indian-point/79929984/
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/radioactive-water-leaks-groundwater-indian-point-article-1.2522670

On Dec. 7, a malfunctioning roof fan caused the plant’s Unit 2 reactor to shut down for three days. On Dec. 14, the plant’s Unit 3 reactor was shut down for nearly three daysdue to an electrical disturbance.

Earlier in 2015, Indian Point was shut down 19 days in May and July due to a May 7 steam leak; a May 9 transformer failure, which spilled about 3,000 gallons of oil into the Hudson River; a July 8 pump motor failure; and a June 15 switchyard-breaker failure in a Consolidated Edison substation near the power plant.

Cedar

Offline BLACK SHIRT

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Indian Point nuclear power news
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »
I worked as a security officer at a Nuclear plant in P.A. for a couple of years. There a many redundancies built into these plants to prevent meltdowns and other issues. The biggest problem is that these plants were designed to run 30-40 years. Most are running way past this timeline and they are falling apart. The control room at the one I worked was straight out of the 70"s. They are very safe plants but since 3 mile island scared everyone no new plants are being built to replace the old ones so they keep running them past the time they were designed to run.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »
The biggest problem is that these plants were designed to run 30-40 years. Most are running way past this timeline and they are falling apart.

You beat me to it. 

The control room at the one I worked was straight out of the 70"s. They are very safe plants but since 3 mile island scared everyone no new plants are being built to replace the old ones so they keep running them past the time they were designed to run.

I don't understand why they don't just build a second plant (as a replacement plant) right there on the exact same site as the existing plant --just a few hundred yards away. Same chunk of real estate. They'd just be expanding the size of the existing facility, and then moving the existing rods from the old building into the new building. The NIMBY factor will have no impact there.

nkawtg

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »
It's the regulatory approval process that keeps new plants from being built.