Author Topic: dog poop and chickens  (Read 2620 times)

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
dog poop and chickens
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:41:25 AM »
So wife is now gung ho about getting chickens and wants to put a chicken coop/tractor in the dog yard where the inside dog goes to poop. Other than the new added workload I would have (anyone have a wife with great ideas then go on to something else and expect you to do the mundane work?), my concern is the chickens eating the dog poop and the dog eating the chicken poop and one of them getting sick. Could just scoop up all the dog poop I see and bury elsewhere and spread out the chicken poop well before moving their tractor location or either scoop up as well for side dressing garden or adding to compost pile.
Better option I see would be to get an electric fenced lined garden spot going where the perimeter has an enclosed chicken run attached to a coop with an electric fence to keep deer away. Have seen a few rough diagrams of online.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: dog poop and chickens
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:43:29 AM »
Don't worry about chicken manure. If they have good feed and enough water, it comes out liquid most of the time. It just soaks into the ground or bedding. The only time I've seen it get solid is when feeding corn, which is probably the worst feed nutrient-wise (it's used because its cheap for the number of calories, but really try to avoid it).

There will be nothing there for the dogs to eat, it just soaks in. However, many dogs will still be able to smell that spot and will roll around in it.

As for chickens eating dog droppings, they won't if they have something better to eat. They'll scratch them around and help break it up.

The only transferrable pest to worry about with dogs and chickens are tapeworms. If one of your chickens gets one, you'll know almost immediately, they die very soon after. It's almost a non-issue given how quickly a chicken will succumb to it. They lose weight and the other chickens will kill the infected one. It's pretty rare, I wouldn't worry about it. Only an issue in the worst possible living conditions, not the type of conditions you would have with a backyard flock. The type of tapeworm that lives in chickens doesn't live in human hosts, so no worry there.

When it comes to free-ranging with dogs, don't. You'll lose a few birds before getting the dogs trained not to chew on their heads. It can be done, but it's a pain to deal with. That run is the dog's territory, the chickens are intruders. The dog will defend it's turf. Even if it doesn't, big flappy feathery things that let you chase them... too much temptation for most dogs. In a large area, they'll learn to ignore each other. If the dogs are sharing a quarter acre or more with the chickens, training will work. In a small confined run, it will be carnage. Not sure how big your dog yard is, or the temperament of the dogs. You'll need to judge that for yourself.

For tractoring, clean the area of dog droppings before moving the chickens in. That takes care of that issue. The area the chickens leave behind will be mostly clean if you move them regularly.

I've found chickens are easiest to manage in a coop. It's easy to get the eggs, all the manure is in one place to be composted, feed is always covered, water is always available, light and temperatures are controllable, and predators are a non-issue. It's just a lot easier to control the conditions. You can build a run for the chickens outside of their coop, but keep them confined to a single area. You can always toss grass clippings into their run as bedding and something for them to eat / search for bugs in...  It's easier to bring the pasture to them.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »
Thanks. It would be an enclosed coop with a cage and wheels where it could easily be picked up and moved around in the yard. The dog wouldn't be getting to the chickens.
As far as a chicken run, the chickens would be enclosed within the run, which would attach to a coop. Kind of similar to this type of set up where chickens would take care of bugs around the perimeter of the garden and be protected during the day from hawks and other predators and go into a coop at night
 - http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/raising-chickens/chicken-manure-fertilizer-zm0z13amzkon.aspx
where the outer fencing is electrified to keep out deer also. Am looking around for better examples that have detailed drawings and plans.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 11:16:54 AM »
Ok, that makes more sense than what I was envisioning.

One thing I would suggest, make the short runs with a hinged lid so you can get into it. I made that mistake myself. The chickens took out one of the weaker of their flock, and left the body in a short run, forcing me to cut open the fence to retrieve it. They will also mound up the area with their droppings over time, so you need access to the whole run to clean it. Never design an area where a chicken can go and you cannot, or that's where they'll lay their eggs, lol.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
Yeah, I was looking for a chicken run setup where it would be PVC framed and could easily be moved as needed.

Offline DDJ

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »
We allow our chickens to free range a little and when they do so they are with the dog.  She is a nut and runs around lake a crazy.  She does not chase the chickens as such but does move quickly near them.  She also likes to herd them normally when we are trying to get them to move in the first place.  That is fun to watch.  The dog does protect them, or we think that is what she does (shoe could have a few screws loose).  She chases anything that flies.  Picture a dog running at full tilt with her head pointed straight up barking like mad.  Again fun to watch.

As mentioned she does not eat the Chicken poop but roll in it.  Then comes in and rubs in my face.  That is NOT fun.  I think Blue Healer or Blue Lacey mean snuggle, but I have not found it in the dictionary.

It is by breed and to some level by dog as to how they will react to the Chickens.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 02:01:48 PM »
I think I would move the dog area, or the chicken area. Not combine them because it sounds like it would be a pain in the arse.
Have you got other areas where you can put the chicken tractor??