Author Topic: Chestnut types ?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
Chestnut types ?
« on: February 27, 2016, 05:31:31 AM »

I ordered some chestnut trees from Oikos last year, a couple of different types. They seemed to grow fast as I could see the progress they where making. Oikos has chinqapin 10@$75 ..

What types of chestnuts do people like to grow ? I am in the northeast

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Chestnut types ?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:44:38 AM »
I grow the chinese hybrids. They're really not the best chestnut, but they're disease resistant (120 years later Chestnut blight is still a problem). 

They are worth growing however. In the 1800s most Flour was chestnut flower. They're more productive than grains. I'm about an hour outside of Rochester NY, once dubbed "The Flour City", for it's huge number of flour mills, which were mostly processing chestnut. When the blight came and wiped it out, only then did farmers start focusing on grains in this region, to make use of their lands and obviously reduced milling rates.

Chestnuts grow incredibly well in the North East, but look for blight resistance and get something hardier than you think you need. They survive in cold weather, but are only productive around Zone 5. Since many people grow them as ornamentals and landscape trees, nurseries will tell you they're hardy to Zone 3, even if they never produce nuts at those temperatures.

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:41:43 AM »
I  just planted 3 chinese chestnuts. 

I want to plant some variety of US chestnut trees, just to try to do my part to help overcome the blight.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 12:59:15 PM »
http://www.chestnuthilloutdoors.com/

No affiliation. No products purchased. Plan to if I don't find another vendor I like better.

Offline longshadow

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 11:47:29 AM »
I need to replace a lot of OLD Willow, Cottonwoods and Elms that died in the past few years on my parents property so I just ordered several Dunstan Hybrid Chestnut cuttings... I'll root out my cuttings and baby them this summer and plant them in late fall.  I'll post photos when I plant them for those who are interested.

Offline JeffinAlabama

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 07:19:55 PM »
Longshadow, How do they look now? Where did you get the cuttings?

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 08:56:20 AM »
Longshadow, hope your trees are doing well. Can you give us an update? Thanks!

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 11:51:51 AM »
I recently went camping at Codorus State Park in Hanover, PA.  They are part of a program that is trying to save key genetic traits of the American Chestnut.  Essentially, they are hybridizing with the Chinese/Japanese Chestnuts with the American Chestnut with the goal of retaining the blight resistance trait natural to the Asian chestnuts, but with the other natural properties of the American Chestnut (size, taste, etc.).  They had a really nice board by the main road about their project.  I didn't realize that the trees used to be so numerous in some places that the hill/mountaintops looked snow covered while the trees were in bloom.  What a sight that would have been!

https://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/centers/private-forests/outreach/pa-forests-web-seminar-center/archive/forestry-series/2010/restoring-american-chestnut/powerpoint-slides