Author Topic: New James Ayres book  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
New James Ayres book
« on: March 23, 2016, 03:32:33 PM »
Essential Survival Gear: A Pro's Guide to Your Most Practical and Portable Survival Kit by James Ayres

started this one today. Enjoying it like his other works I have read.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: New James Ayres book
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:46:20 PM »
Sorry, who is the author?

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »
James Ayres tactical knife book tao of survival etc

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
So is it worth buying? I saw a preview page on Amazon where he was making a hobo stove out of a #10 can with a knife. My first thought was someone needs to buy him some tin snips ;) That's going to wreck the knife edge.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 12:23:52 PM »
I bough the book and it seems to have some good information for making a go bag. The author really encouraged people to buy non military clothing and packs to better blend in urban environments.  He touched on knives in a few areas, but I can't recall much information telling people what they should look for in one. I know what I'm looking for, but if someone didn't it may not have been as helpful as it could have been. It kind of felt like buy a large, medium, and pocket knife and that was it. A few chapters later he'd say buy a knife again and that was it. I just would have liked to have seen more details.

He gave one checklist for clothing at the start, but I would have liked to have seen a few more since the title was "Essential Survival Gear". I got a few things out of it, so I'm glad I bought it, but his editors could have helped him make it a lot better.