Author Topic: WA/OR Permaculture, Agroforestry, Regenerative Agriculture Farms for Volunteer  (Read 2036 times)

Offline sagescrub

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I'm reaching out to the forum for suggestions about farms in the OR/WA area with emphasis on Agroforestry, regenerative agriculture, Permaculture and/or sustainability.

I'm planning on doing some volunteering/WWOOFing on several farms this year to accomplish the following goals:

- Try out living and working in the Northwest
- Learn farming/business from experienced individuals first hand
- Start learning a breadth of farming practices (Veggies, Orchards, Permaculture, Food forests/Agroforestry, Silvopasture, Regenerative, Animal Husbandry, Sustainability, Beekeeping, Dairy and more are all interesting to me) that I can pick and choose from later to dive deeper and translate into career paths
- Learn from people that have a wealth of knowledge, are positive and generally successful
- Gain enough experience and knowledge to secure a good farming job and/or start my own business
- Start building a new network
- Have fun, meet great people and travel!

I am new to the agriculture industry but passionate about making it part of my future. I am 36 and transitioning into farming from a web design career. As of July 2015 I began making change to my new career path (Up until then I had been an avid organic gardener for about 7 years and dreaming about having a homestead/farm one day) Since then I have volunteered on 3 urban farms, attended community college for Horticulture, earned a Permaculture design certificate, worked as a native landscape installer and am currently working in a Permaculture garden and a fruit grove.

Thanks for your time!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
You might try:
http://www.worldforestry.org/ I love them.
http://www.forestry.oregonstate.edu/
http://www.oswa.org/

If you can make it to a similar one, OSU just had this:
Forest Health in Oregon: State of the State 2016
February 16-17, 2016
Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon

I make it to quite a few of these kinds of Farm/Forest things at OSU.

I just know about those I listed above, as I have been involved with OSU for a long time, and I have been to their events and such. Call them, tell them what you are looking for and they might be able to help you out.

Good luck,
Cedar

Offline sagescrub

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Hey Cedar, thank you so much! I hadn't heard of these organizations yet. I am checking out these links now and will be reaching out for info :)

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Support Brigade member

You'll do much better on this particular topic over at permies.com where they talk about volunteering, farming and permaculture all the time.

Offline sagescrub

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Thanks Markl, I am also posting on permies.com :)