Author Topic: Personalizing your Profile with signature, links, avatar image, etc  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
In the menu up near the top of the page, select Profile, and in the popup submenu select Forum Profile.

(Or, click Profile and then look in the Modify Profile submenu for Forum Profile.)

You'll get a page with a bunch of optional personalization settings:

Personalized Picture -- This is the avatar image that displays next to your posts.  You can choose one of our crummy default avatars 8) or you can link to an image or upload one.  (Images are displayed at a maximum 140x140 pixels, so if you're using a humongous high-resolution image, please resize it to something smaller.  This will be a big help to our members who have slow Internet connections.)

Personal Text -- A short phrase that will be displayed below your avatar image.

Birthdate, Location, and Gender -- These are not displayed with your posts, but are available to anyone who views your profile.  Completely optional, share if you feel like it.

ICQ, AIM, MSN, and YIM -- If you use these instant messaging services, you can make your contact info public here.  They will show up with your posts as little icons below your avatar.

Signature -- This is a 2000-character (max) block of info that will appear beneath each of your posts.  It can optionally contain the same formatting codes used in forum posts, so you can include links, images, centered text, etc.  For example, here's mine:
Code: [Select]
[center][url=http://blog.statler.ws/][b]Arganagh[/b] - a blog of questionable things[/url][/center]You can see what that looks like at the bottom of any of my posts.

Website title and Website URL -- You can link to your website here, and it will display with your posts as a little "globe" icon below your avatar.  Put a short title in the title box.  The URL box should contain a complete link, such as:
Code: [Select]
http://statler.ws/services/
"May I put links to my business in the Signature and Website areas?"
Yes!  Within reason.  Please don't be spammy.  We tend to ban new members who are clearly here only for self-promotion or for providing "search engine optimization" for some spammy website.

After making changes, click the Change profile button at the bottom of the page.

If you need assistance, please feel free to contact any of the mods or admins.