Author Topic: Ep. 1746 - "Get an App, Get an App, Get an App"  (Read 2509 times)

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
Ep. 1746 - "Get an App, Get an App, Get an App"
« on: March 21, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
If you're just looking for the app, read no farther, just click here: http://bit.ly/19rCoO0

The show discussed here was Episode 1746. A caller requested an android app, but went about it in an (unintentionally) unpleasant way.
Ok, so there is an app, lol. The request (the tone of the request anyway) was a little uncalled for. I can empathize with the demands of people saying "you need to do _____".

The clip in question is here: href=http://www.survivalpodcast.net/audio/2016/3-16/epi-1746-calls-3-17-16.mp3#t=2804,3031

However, some people are having problems finding the app. This post is to help people with common problems finding the app:

First, disable the AdBlocker. If this is what you see on your Android device, your ad blocker is enabled.

Follow the instructions for the adblocker you use, be it AdBlock Plus, uBlock Origin etc. You can disable it for just this one site, there are no malicious ads on TSP, I can confirm the links are all safe.

With your adblocker disabled, you should see the "Medallion Links" on the right hand side. To be blunt, these are not really eye-catching, as most internet users have trained their brains to not even notice such things. They share a common round shape and relative size so as not to be overly obtrusive, but that also camouflages them. Compounding these issues, the Icon used doesn't have a pictographic representation of the link contents, just text.
That said, if you're looking for it, you'll find it in seconds, right on the front page. If you're not looking for it however, you may glance right over it, unaware of it's existence. 

Here's what you're looking for:

So you click the link. If you're setup with Aptoide, just click "Install"

If you're not, you can sign up and install it, which will give you access to the app. This is the way to go for 99% of people.  If

The other 1% is thinking "WTF is this... I need to install something to install something else". Calm down, lol. I hear you but it's not that big of a deal. If you're still hell-bent against downloading the .apk from this source, you can inspect elements on the download button and back-trace it to just the install files.

If all else fails: http://webservices.aptoide.com/webservices/getApkInstall/13977436/droidworks

The TSP app will not install on Emulated Android Environments from the above links. If you're running ANDY on a PC for example, or have it loaded in VMWare or VirtualBox, it won't work. But in that case, you have far better options than an Android Package.

It cannot be found in the Google Play store, use the link on the main TSP page.

Don't forget, there are hundreds of podcasting apps for Android, iPhone, Windows Phone, Macs and PCs. You don't need to use just this one, any of them will work. Just grab the RSS link off the main TSP page and pop it into the podcast viewer of your choice.

The original caller stated that he was having trouble with Chrome on Android losing his place in the playback. That can also be addressed.

First, make sure you're not hopping across different networks. Stay in 4G or on a single wifi connection.

Check your power settings and have in remain unlocked when docked. When you have it in the charger or plugged in to your car, it shouldn't go to a low-power mode or lock screen.

Click on the download mp3 link to listen in a new tab, with just the audio file. There are no timed page refreshes on just the MP3s (not an issue for TSP, but common for many podcasts).

Just download the file, it takes 2-3 seconds on most connections, and then can be played back in the native music app without streaming, buffering or losing your position.

Pause the audio when needed, don't press "stop". I know that sounds like a "no shit..." suggestion, but with as many listeners as this show has, someone's doing it, lol.

Jack said in a follow-up that his response was a bit too strong and apologized.

Personally, I can empathize with the frustration here. I've worked in the past supporting software with millions of users. People often request features, which is a good thing. However, about half of them feel like they're entitled to having any feature they want, they know how to run the business better than anyone actually running the business, and they usually have no concept of the time and effort that goes into accommodating such requests, or just the sheer volume of requests received. More frustrating is when the thing they are requesting is something you've already incorporated, and you're now spending time addressing a non-issue instead of helping with the other requests you're getting... Once in awhile, it's not a problem, but when you hit a critical mass of users, responding to such inquiries seems to take most of your time. It feels like that's all you do. It'll drive you crazy.

I don't think the caller was aware that's how these suggestions come off. I hope they've found the app by now and are satisfied with it.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Ep. 1746 - "Get an App, Get an App, Get an App"
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 04:06:18 AM »
I used to use the app but after getting a new phone found it was no longer on Google play.

After the show I followed the link and tried to download but a window popped up and stated I would be voiding my phone's warranty by installing it.

I have been using stitcher up till now and will continue to do so. In the end, I listen to several different podcasts, and stitcher puts them all in one place.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:11:43 AM »
Another alternative that the wife and I use is DoggCatcher.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:53:14 AM »
Another alternative that the wife and I use is DoggCatcher.
This. Just another podcast I'm subscribed via the RSS feeds.

Offline standingbear

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2018, 05:22:57 PM »
Tha got it thanks, aptoid did not want to load other day and when I pulled up site it locked up.

Offline JodyGen

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 04:34:41 AM »
OK, OK! I will get the app. Stop twisting my arm. lol