Author Topic: Chinese Ham Parts - You get what you pay for  (Read 4214 times)

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
Chinese Ham Parts - You get what you pay for
« on: March 31, 2016, 06:56:02 PM »
I bought a $10.99 microphone for my Baofeng and the "B" PTT button is now working on and off. It seems not to work after a couple of minutes of use. Then it works again and then not. Mostly not now.

I am not too disappointed because I know these radios and parts are cheap and prone to failure.  The radio has exceeded my expectations with regards to what it transmits and receives. The sound quality appears to be passable to the non-cliquish types that talk back.

I've always known that I cannot trust my life to them. I just hope others know the same. I don't think I would have my primary radio or backup radio be a Baofeng or anything like it. I would not, however, hesitate to have them as tertiary options. 

http://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-VB-25-Dual-PTT-Speaker-UV-82L/dp/B00RDSYBW0

It says it is a Baofeng, but it is not. Maybe I will take it apart and see what is what.

Offline TerryFrench

• Prepper
  • Long time listener...
Re: Chinese Ham Parts - You get what you pay for
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:35:18 PM »
I've helped another HAM wth a defective external microphone for his Baofeng. (we tried mine, problem solved). 2 annectodes are not the same as data, but I'm sure it's pretty common.

It's worth opening it up and trying to fix it.

I agree that these are not "will always work when you need it" kind of radios. But for the price of radio + mic + antenna + battery eliminator (12v) + AA battery pack case, you have something decent that costs the same or less than one extra battery pack for a brand handheld.  :-)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:22:42 PM »
The accessories are even more flakey than the radios in my experience.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 05:32:53 AM »
I feel I must speak up and say that over the past 25 plus years ,
I have had more 'brand name' failures than Baofeng (I have ordered and passed on over a dozen UV5R and UV82 radios.
The "US" made radios are no better or worse...Many are made in the same place as Baofeng, look it up.
The accessories are of dubious quality and rarely tested before shipment...and often from other businesses than the manufacturer...
I have taken advantage of the AMAZON and do not order products shipped from China, only the sellers that AMAZON will back up and replace defective products with a smile.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 10:23:33 AM »
I acknowledge the good points on this thread:
1) Accessories are more prone to issues, especially mine that was not name branded as a Baofeng.
2) Baofeng's radios may or may not be worse than name brand. Only time will tell.
3) For the price, they are probably good backup radios and good starter radios.
4) I should send the POS back to Amazon.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 04:36:29 AM »
I will like to differentiate between ORIGINAL Baofeng accessories and the named after the baofeng cheapie ones.

In the web I have seen 5 types of 12V battery eliminators with internals ranging from resistors to a quite good looking DC-DC circuitry.

Let alone that anyone that uses a counterfeit programming cable regrets it.

Offline Sailor

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 08:19:24 AM »
The accessories are even more flakey than the radios in my experience.

So true

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 09:48:32 PM »
I have not had any problems from my Baofengs or the ones I gave away. I haven't used any accessories other than larger battery packs though.